What's Spinning

My collection #928-932

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Mede Ma Ya Me Se / Man Dou Sou Nou Mio
Orchestre Black Santiago - Wokpo Made
Gnonnas Pedro - Etre Coco Masawouinne
Dexys Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen

Almost every Poly-Rythmo single is 🔥, plus two more from Benin and one from Dexys.

20200918_091306.jpg

The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper’s
2017 Reissue

Those of you who have been around for a while know I haven’t been thrilled with this. I’ve far preferred my 1982 British copy. I pretty much hated the remix.

Those who hang in the equipment forums know I recently went from a Sutherland Insight phono stage to a Sutherland Duo. The Duo is clearly much better, as it should be given the price difference. I’ve been at a loss as to how to describe the difference. Until now.

@Lee Newman was right. This is good. Very good. The Duo proves this. I really like the remix now. It just sounds right. I couldn’t listen to this all the way through before. I can now.

2524D006-C8B8-45A9-AA5E-8046B5B67D1A.jpeg

McCoy Tyner At Ronnie Scotts (3rd Feb 1984)
Jackie McLean Live with the Cedar Watson Trio (1997)

These are obviously not vinyl and not that interesting to look at, but the music on here is superb! I have listened to the McCoy Tyner twice now and its killer (as is the McLean to be fair!).

IMG_2500.JPG

Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite (Riverside, 2020 VMP Classics Pressing)

Wow....just wow. Have to hand it to them, VMP have smashed it with this one, it sounds stunning. Perhaps my favourite Classic's release of the year. My only gripe (if I had to have one) is the notes on the black obi where VMP basically criticises JazzTimes for not including it, but then saying at least they have it covered. Seems unnecessary to me.

IMG_2502.JPG

Composers Workshop Ensemble - S/T (Strata-East, 1973 First US Pressing)

This is my first Strata East record (I find them to be so tricky to find, and crazy money when I do!) and its a killer one. The album opens to each musician warming up their instrument, with Bross Townsend's piano cutting through, Herb Bushler's bass then making an appearance, before all hell breaks loose with a torrent of sound. Its fantastic! Townsend and Bushler are the backbone to the album, but there's some amazing input from all of them (its not often you hear a bass trombone and baritone sax!)

IMG_2504.JPG

Back