What's Spinning

Jackie McLean Quartet - Dr. Jackle (Steeplechase, 1979 First Pressing)

In the late 70's Steeplechase started their 6000 Classic Series which saw the issuing of previously unreleased live music, often from material which pre-dates the first Steeplechase release. This is a fantastic session which sees McLean during what I like to call his 'Ornette Coleman phase'. At this point Coleman's music had started gaining traction and McLean was exploring similar sounds (they would later get together on the 'New And Old Gospel' album). Great stuff.

IMG_9834.JPG

The xx - xx

View attachment 56646
Easily one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years (holy shit, this came out 11 years ago?!) I remember being blown away from the very first time I heard Intro. The album has aged incredibly well imo.

Love this album, probably my top 3 played "sleep" albums. I saw The XX in 2012 at a 1,100 person club and it was definitely one of my favorite shows ever. Such an intimate, fun experience.

Love this album, probably my top 3 played "sleep" albums. I saw The XX in 2012 at a 1,100 person club and it was definitely one of my favorite shows ever. Such an intimate, fun experience.
That's awesome...I saw them in 2010 at a small club in SF with Phantogram opening! Have since seen them in much bigger venues but they still put on a great show.

Back