What's Spinning

A Blissful Walkthrough of My Chaotic Collection
#78 Carsick Cars ~ 3

IMG_20200229_130242.jpg

Carsick Cars was formed in March, 2005, when Shou Wang, a student at the Beijing Institute of Technology, met Li Weisi and Li Qing at the rehearsal space of mutual friends. By May they had performed their first concert at a party for a small group of friends and by the end of the year were performing in Beijing clubs. Their first CD was recorded in the spring of 2007 and was produced by legendary P.K.14 frontman Yang Haisong.

Their sound, influenced by the drone of Velvet Underground, Suicide and Sonic Youth as well as by the textures and structures of Steve Reich and Glenn Branca, is a combination of brilliantly-textured roar and hard open chords that are used to explore and tear apart their beautifully crafted songs. Amidst the explosive noise and feedback it sometimes takes a while to realize how well they write songs, although this has not been lost on the many Beijing musicians who are their fans – Carsick Cars is probably the underground band in China whose songs are most often performed by other local bands.

Cross post from the Feb Challeng Thread:

Day 28 - That Was Fast

The Third Wave - Questions 67+68 / Love Train (MPS Records, 1970 First Pressing - 7")

I have mentioned The Third Wave a few times on the forum and I will do so again now! They consisted of 5 teenage Filipino sisters that lived in California (long story but there was a large influx of Filipinos just after the war, with California being the port town many of the ships docked in) and their father was also a musician in his native country before the migration. The keyboardist and pianist George Duke (the Frank Zappa collaborator) 'discovered' the girls and took them to Germany in 1970 where they recorded this 7" plus 1 album (the music on the 7" is not on this album). Unfortunately, they then faded into nothing and never recorded any more music. The album and single are both really rare (the single being the more sought after) and I have been lucky enough to find copies of both. Its certainly a record I would savein the event of a fire, its some killer funk/soul!

IMG_3826.JPG

Cross post from the Feb Challenge Thread:

Day 29 - Bonus!

The White Stripes - Self-Titled LP Outtakes (Third Man Records Vault - Package 42, 2019)

I guess this whole record is bonus material in a way! I have never really got into the White Stripes until much later in their career, so listening to all this early stuff is a real blast!

IMG_3834.JPG

Back