What's Spinning

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#142: Juju - Live at The East 1973

IMG_20200210_070522.jpg

I didn't actually order this album, it was one of those happy VMP screw-ups, appearing alongside the two Juju records I had indeed ordered. It is my least favorite of the bunch, mainly due to the poor recording, but it still has some very nice moments. While the kind of jazz the band performs here is highly influenced by the lifes of Coltrane and Pharoa Sanders, I think there are moments where you can hear them on the verge of finding a sound of their own, giving the spiritual and modal jazz a more primitive and visceral feel. While I like their funkier stuff more, I kind of wish they had recorded more in this style, as I think it would have been interesting to see where they went from here.

Berhana "HAN" [5/357]

View attachment 31726

Went blind on this one and am really loving it.

Continuing my playthrough...

Tiny Star "Tiny Star EP" [6/357?]

IMG_20200211_202137.jpg

This one is The Blasting Company with Eddika Organista and Harlan Silverman. TBC is responsible for the music for the wonderful animation of Over The Garden Wall, and this EP is from the fictional band inside one of the episodes. "Beautiful dream pop with stellar synth and delicate vocals", as the description says. It's really really good and I recommend both, this EP and Over The Garden Wall cartoon.

EDIT: Better YouTube video

Last edited:
Continuing my playthrough...

Tiny Star "Tiny Star EP" [6/357?]

View attachment 32538

This one is The Blasting Company with Eddika Organista and Harlan Silverman. TBC is responsible for the music for the wonderful animation of Over The Garden Wall, and this EP is from the fictional band inside one of the episodes. "Beautiful dream pop with stellar synth and delicate vocals", as the description says. It's really really good and I recommend both, this EP and Over The Garden Wall cartoon.

Drakkar Nowhere "Drakkar Nowhere" [7/357]

IMG_20200211_204021.jpg

This was a PIF from the wonderful @imajindat , and I got hooked on it solely by the song "How Could That By Why?" Another great album. Still available from Bandcamp if you dig it!

Drakkar Nowhere "Drakkar Nowhere" [7/357]

View attachment 32541

This was a PIF from the wonderful @imajindat , and I got hooked on it solely by the song "How Could That By Why?" Another great album. Still available from Bandcamp if you dig it!

Maxwell "Embyra" [8/357]
IMG_20200211_211838.jpg

I haven't heard of Maxwell before this, but I got it from a very strong recommendation (as usual) from our very own @NathanRicaud 🖤🔥🤘👌🎵
Not too familiar with the R&B(is this it?) genre but it's very relaxing and cool to chill out to.

Maxwell "Embyra" [8/357]
View attachment 32551

I haven't heard of Maxwell before this, but I got it from a very strong recommendation (as usual) from our very own @NathanRicaud 🖤🔥🤘👌🎵
Not too familiar with the R&B(is this it?) genre but it's very relaxing and cool to chill out to.

Lafayette Afro-Rock Band "Malik" [9/357]
IMG_20200211_215322.jpg

Max Roach Quartet- The Loadstar (Horo Records)

Highly recommended if you can find a copy. This is my only record from the legendary label and it is straight🔥. If you are a fan of Max Roach and slightly more adventurous bop then this is for you.

View attachment 32542

This is great! Never heard of it before but listening now and it's entered my wantlist bigtime.

Back