What's Spinning

Midway through...

Japanese Breakfast - Sable (Original Soundtrack) [3/5]

View attachment 202930

This was one of those DeepDiscount deals from two years ago...back when they actually held deals. Less than $10, and serves as a (mostly) pleasant ambient soundtrack. "Exploration (Ruins)" best characterizes the sounds I enjoy most in ambient music. I've never played the game.
I actually got into Japanese Breakfast because of the game! I love the vibes of this record. The game itself is a buggy but lovely exploration fest, like Breath of the Wild sans combat.

Getting close to the end...

Masayoshi Takanaka (高中正義) - An Insatiable High [4/5]

20240514_232221.jpg

Bought this at Face Records inside Miyashita Park (宮下公園), a shopping mall in Shibuya on the day of leaving Japan. It was ¥6000 (~$38.50 USD) for this original, so not really ideal. But at least it is in fantastic condition with an OBI strip that is free of marks/damage. The popular Takanaka titles are still usually above ¥4000 pretax, but the lesser known titles are very commonly found under ¥1500 each, with some I've seen as low as ¥580.
As for the music? Greatness. One of the all-time shredders skirting lines of jazz-rock and city pop, and still performing today!

EDIT: Come to think of it, I wonder if the soundtrack to Persona 5 was slightly influenced by this record, particularly "Malibu."

Last edited:
Finishing out the stack made by @kvetcha yesterday morning. Thank you for selecting the records, with three of them not being fully spun up until today.

Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Fuyū-Kūkan (浮遊空間) [5/5]

20240515_081718.jpg

A new reissue found at Tower Records in Yokohama. Normally priced at ¥4180 (~$26.75 USD) post-tax, but was able to get duty free with a > ¥5000 total purchase and an additional 5% off with a Tower Records coupon that Reddit pointed out before I left to travel...knocking this item alone down to ¥3610 (~$23.20 USD). Tower Records might not be the best for prices, but they are certainly the most dependable for finding Japanese reissues in stock.
Blending elements of techno-kayo and city pop, it is a key record in cataloging the history of city pop's evolution. It is her most accessible record, with razor sharp hi-NRG bops and the smooth chiller "Midnight Pretenders." Don't forget the nocturnal "I'm in Love", most recently found on the Pacific Breeze 2 compilation!

Back