What's Spinning

View attachment 182396

Mitski - Bury Me at Make Out Creek

I’ve also been doing a Mitski discography listen waiting for her new album to show up. Haven’t gotten to Be the Cowboy yet, but have enjoyed revisiting the other three. Puberty 2 is still my favorite, although Bury Me at Makeout Creek is a close second.

I’ve also been doing a Mitski discography listen waiting for her new album to show up. Haven’t gotten to Be the Cowboy yet, but have enjoyed revisiting the other three. Puberty 2 is still my favorite, although Bury Me at Makeout Creek is a close second.

I have such a hard time ranking these three albums because she is just so consistent and I’m never happy with how I rank them. I think Puberty 2 has no low points but the highs aren’t as high as some of her other albums. Make Out Creek has her best 3 track run (townie -> late Spring -> Francis) and side A is literally perfect but it loses steam a bit on side B. Cowboy has some songs I wish she expanded on a bit but they are also perfect in their brevity

As of tonight my ranking is
1. Cowboy
2. Make Out Creek
3. Puberty 2

But that will absolutely change next time I listen to them lol

And then Laurel Hell is there also

I have such a hard time ranking these three albums because she is just so consistent and I’m never happy with how I rank them. I think Puberty 2 has no low points but the highs aren’t as high as some of her other albums. Make Out Creek has her best 3 track run (townie -> late Spring -> Francis) and side A is literally perfect but it loses steam a bit on side B. Cowboy has some songs I wish she expanded on a bit but they are also perfect in their brevity

As of tonight my ranking is
1. Cowboy
2. Make Out Creek
3. Puberty 2

But that will absolutely change next time I listen to them lol

And then Laurel Hell is there also
I *like* Be the Cowboy but for whatever reason it doesn’t stick with me like her first two.

Laurel Hell has a looseness and fragility that I appreciate, though in an objective sense it’s probably her weakest record. It effectively captures the feeling of emerging from the wilderness of writers block in a very vulnerable and human way, and I love her for making it.

Back