What's Spinning

John Coltrane - Ascension
My first time ever spinning this, despite owning it for a couple months. I have a serious backlog of records to listen to! One of those GOOD problems. Amazing lineup on this. It will definitely take me a few more listens to fully appreciate, but I dug it.

20190818_204804.jpg
20190818_204832.jpg20190818_204852.jpg

bb608a17-397f-44aa-81e1-a7da74b32c0c.jpg

Evanescence - Origin (2000, reissue 2016)

Evanescence's industrial/gothic metal demo album. There are only 2 official releases of this album. This LP reissue, from the Evanescence Ultimate Collection boxset, and the original CD.

The original CD is very rare, only 2,500 copies exist. It was released on a small indie label called Bigwig Enterprises (which, oddly enough, Moby seemingly released a few things under). Also, for every 1 real copy, there's 5 bootlegs, so getting an official one is quite difficult.

0818192322_HDR.jpg

I have one.

This is still my favorite Evanescence album. Very rough, very unique. Several songs on this album were later rerecorded for the band's debut album, Fallen. Those songs are Whisper, Imaginary and My Immortal. The song Even In Death was (much) later rerecorded as a piano version, which is included on Lost Whispers, a bonus compilation in the Ultimate Collection boxset.

If you read all of that, I hope you found it interesting. This band, and this album, are very dear to my heart. Origin spurred my love for digging into the deep cuts that all of my favorite bands have to offer. This really is a masterpiece.

Back