What's Spinning

I was very excited to hear this album after my wife and I went to the Sky Blue Sky festival in January 2020 - I spotted Nels in the lobby one morning and chatted with him about Banyan and his Singers, and he told me the Singers had an album coming later in the year. Coming home from Mexico, there were notices all over the Atlanta airport directing travelers who had been in the Wuhan region of China to go to a certain area and, if I remember correctly (I may not - I had food poisoning from breakfast and was barely alive walking through security), something about Coronavirus. That was the first time we heard anything about what would come to dominate life…BB556D02-FF90-490B-9445-A4547C389E10.jpeg

I was very excited to hear this album after my wife and I went to the Sky Blue Sky festival in January 2020 - I spotted Nels in the lobby one morning and chatted with him about Banyan and his Singers, and he told me the Singers had an album coming later in the year. Coming home from Mexico, there were notices all over the Atlanta airport directing travelers who had been in the Wuhan region of China to go to a certain area and, if I remember correctly (I may not - I had food poisoning from breakfast and was barely alive walking through security), something about Coronavirus. That was the first time we heard anything about what would come to dominate life…View attachment 118117
How'd you like Sky Blue Sky? We're going this year as long as it all works out.

Wardell Gray - S/T (Prestige/Esquire, 1953 First 7" Pressing)

I only have a few records that feature Wardell Gray (although that includes the Complete Charlie Parker Dial Sessions box) but those that I do have are fantastic. He really had an incredible full-bodied playing style. This 7" is notable as it features a very young (22-23?) Sonny Clark on piano at the very beginning of his career. Unfortunately, Gray was found dead just 3 years later in the desert outside of Las Vegas, in what is believed to be drug/mob-related killing.

IMG_0954.JPG

How'd you like Sky Blue Sky? We're going this year as long as it all works out.
It was awesome. The food stalls at the main stage courtyard were good, the people were incredibly nice, the ocean and weather were gorgeous, intimate concerts from great bands. We had a blast, and you run into the musicians all over. My wife gave Ira from Yo La Tengo and Glenn Kotche, Wilco’s drummer, directions on several occasions ha.

*my only regret is eating the room service runny egg the morning we left. That has to be what gave me food poisoning. I started to notice it in the duty free shop at the airport. Wandering around the booze aisles, I was thinking whoa I am getting a placebo hangover just looking at tequila…

It was awesome. The food stalls at the main stage courtyard were good, the people were incredibly nice, the ocean and weather were gorgeous, intimate concerts from great bands. We had a blast, and you run into the musicians all over. My wife gave Ira from Yo La Tengo and Glenn Kotche, Wilco’s drummer, directions on several occasions ha.
Nice! Really looking forward to all that I've heard, and getting to the sun at the perfect time.

Nérija – Blume (Domino, 2019 Limited First Pressing)

I was lucky enough to see Nerija live over the weekend in an opening set for Charles Lloyd. They absolutely killed it and had the audience (almost all being older guys in formalwear) in the palm of their hands. My fiancee went as far as saying that they put on just a good of a performance, if not better, than Lloyd.

IMG_0996.JPG

Back