What's Spinning

The Collection Playthrough

166 - Sara Bareilles - Amidst the Chaos: Live From The Hollywood Bowl

It's funny, I was super psyched for this one when it was announced, then listened on Spotify and was like meh, got it for the right deal and am back in like with it (at least). It just works a lot better to where even at 3 LP it doesn't feel overwhelming. Also, given her odd reticence to repress any of her past catalog, it's the only somewhat affordable source for the major tracks from her back catalog until she decides to do a repress cash-in.

167 - Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR

Pop album of the year by default I'd guess. She's been absolutely everywhere since Driver's License took off and hasn't really stopped. I still think it tails off a bit on Side B, but there's a non-zero chance that by the end of the singles cycle that Side A is just going to be chock full of big ole hits. Pressing wise, the reviews of the Target pressing on Discogs weren't inspiring but I am getting the feeling that it's some placebo theory there. Sounds perfectly fine if not an exemplary pop pressing to my ears. Pretty colorway and a good cover for my tastes.

168 - Pat Benetar - Crimes of Passion

One of the $1 pickups, nothing amazing but Hit Me With Your Best Shot still holds up as well as it ever did

169 - Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

So they are weird huh? I think I only really ever got into this one at the very end on Side D. Still good to listen to the album but not where my brain it at today I guess.

170 - Ryn Weaver - The Fool

So since it's not there, back to the pop stars. I am getting the feeling this is going to be one-album wonder. That's a bit of a shame. This is some top-flight female led indie-pop with some real punch to it. There's still not much that sounds like Octahate or Pierre out there and I'm kind of expecting in 2027 some 19 year old is going to take a lot of inspiration from this and have a couple big hits. It's funny, this and Halsey's Badlands came out the same year, I'm pretty sure I saw them within six months of each other, and I would have bet nearly anything Ryn would've been the star and Halsey would've done something else. NOT A MUSIC SCOUT FOR A REASON. The record is also very well mastered for a general indie release - strong base, clear vocals, nicely designedPXL_20210912_141714972.jpgPXL_20210912_152246291.MP.jpgPXL_20210913_155820516.jpg16315639123892037170405737388472.jpg16315639248335528055342147766411.jpg

The second drummer Jones I’ve spun tonight. Instead of Philly Joe Jones, it’s Jo Jones this time. A lovely early digital to vinyl LP with an insert in Japanese and English which describes the 1970’s PCM process used to record the album. A gem of a weekend find. 💎

Jo Jones - “Our Man, Papa Jo!”

9366C740-B063-4139-A06E-0CCC1E8C6F45.jpeg

Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas

I honestly haven't listened to this very much this year after listening to it a ton last year. Though I have been listening to the spotify sessions version of No Room For Doubt on repeat for months haha. Anyway, this one is still so damn good!

Inspired by this thread, I streamed this last night on the way home from the record store. I will be back to pick it up! 😁
Whats mind bending is picking out the incredible amount of influences on the album: I hear Ska, Afrobeat, World, Soul, Funk, Preservation Hall, Straight Ahead Jazz, Free Jazz, Be Bop, Hip Hop, Rap, Poetry, Orchestral Arrangement, Alice Coltrane, John Coltrane-Miles, Flying Lotus, Kamasi... phew! :giggle:

Last edited:
Back