What's Spinning

Cross posting from the August Challenge thread:

William Onyeabor ‎– Atomic Bomb (Wilfilms Records, 1978 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Tomorrow (Wilfilms Records, 1979 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Body & Soul (Wilsfilm Records, 1980 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Hypertension (Wilsfilm Records, 1982 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Anything You Sow (Wilsfilm Records, 1985 First Pressing)

After listening to a William Onyeabor record I couldn't stop so ended up playing a few! Super funky.

IMG_4893.JPG
IMG_4890.JPGIMG_4892.JPGIMG_4894.JPGIMG_4895.JPG

Cross posting from the August Challenge thread:

William Onyeabor ‎– Atomic Bomb (Wilfilms Records, 1978 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Tomorrow (Wilfilms Records, 1979 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Body & Soul (Wilsfilm Records, 1980 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Hypertension (Wilsfilm Records, 1982 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Anything You Sow (Wilsfilm Records, 1985 First Pressing)

After listening to a William Onyeabor record I couldn't stop so ended up playing a few! Super funky.

View attachment 107454
View attachment 107455View attachment 107456View attachment 107457View attachment 107458
A new discovery for me thanks to you here. Sounds way ahead of his time.

I also found this film about him online

Last edited:
A new discovery for me thanks to you here. Sounds way ahead of his time.

I also found this film about him online

This is a fantastic documentary, I saw it a few years back when I was listening to his music a lot.

He really was ahead of his time and led a crazy life. He was born poor but managed to study in Europe and, supposedly, worked as a cinematographer in Russia. He then moved back to his village and built a mansion that centered around a recording studio. He put out all these incredible albums (the box sets are a fantastic way to deep dive, I have the first of 2 - William Onyeabor – William Onyeabor Vol. 1 (2014, Box Set)) and then became a religious recluse, shunting his music and refusing to talk about it.

When Luaka Bop tired to interview him for the reissue series he downright refused. Pretty crazy life by the sounds of it.

Bill Evans – Behind The Dikes: The 1969 Netherlands Recordings (Elemental Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)

After listening to the stunning Charles Lloyd RSD Resonance Release last night, I decided to dig into Evans today. This really is a stunning recording. The sound is stellar and a really nice package. The only downside is some clicks to the A-side of the first LP (of 3) on my copy. Hoping a re-clean will fix that though.

IMG_4923.JPG

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band - Live 1975-85

Fabulous boxset to return from holiday (actually this was an earlier holiday) but the same point. This boxset is always so cheap in second-hand shops, and it's amazing - so much energy.

View attachment 107497
Oh fantastic! I bought a copy of this at the first record fair I ever went to. Took it home and opened it all up to find a ticket from the actual gig in there.

Back