What's Spinning

35810C44-96C0-43B3-9700-9C12F295EB24.jpeg

Had to cook mom breakfast and do some housework this AM so missed early jazz. But, I pull this sweet female blues record off the backroom shelf & cleaned it up.

Like new. Earned a spot in the main music room right off. Chicago Blues. This is Joanna Connor’s 1st rec. 1989 US OG but she looks to still be playing the blues. Smokin’ rec.

Last edited:
R-1913047-1252046147.jpeg.jpg

Aja Memorial Spin in honor of the great engineer/producer Al Schmitt passing away this past week

The Curtis Fuller Jazztet With Benny Golson ‎– S/T (Savoy, 1959 First Mono Pressing)

Very sad to hear of the passing of trombonist Curtis Fuller. Every album he appeared on was elevated in my opinion. @Andy reminded me of this fantastic album which was one that I was hunting down for ages, it always seemed to slip past me until I finally secured this copy. Fantastic from start to finish.

IMG_0102.JPG

John Coltrane - Blue Train (Blue Note, 1957 First Mono Pressing)

I just realised that Curtis Fuller was the last surviving musician to have appeared on John Coltrane's legendary and only album for Blue Note records, Blue Train. There's an interesting (well to me at least....) oddity with this album that related to Fuller's photo. On the first pressing, the photo seems overexposed on his head. With each subsequent pressing, a mark appears on his head and becomes bigger and darker. I have attached photos of my first pressing and a later 1972 UA pressing and the difference is really weird.

IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG

Back