What's Spinning

Ray Bryant Interview - 1990's
Hank Mobley Tribute/Documentary

Decided to dig out some cassettes today. The first one is a fantastic interview with pianist Ray Bryant where he discusses his life and music. There was a great part where he is asked if he ever hears from Sonny Rollins and he replies "Of course, I just received a postcard from him yesterday".

The second is a tribute/documentary on Hank Mobley recorded for what would be the anniversary of his passing.

IMG_9951.jpg

#1547-1548

Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud
GoGo Penguin - Fanfares

A different side of Miles, and a piano-led trio that maybe tried a bit too hard to be EST in the beginning and has now morphed into something different (but less good to me).

View attachment 98369

View attachment 98370
Is that Miles the MOV 2lp set? How is it? I was tempted to get that but ended up going for the Sam Record 10" instead. I know the gatefold one has that fantastic spread of Miles.

Is that Miles the MOV 2lp set? How is it? I was tempted to get that but ended up going for the Sam Record 10" instead. I know the gatefold one has that fantastic spread of Miles.
I think it's great but I don't have anything to compare it with. For some reason, there are loads of different pressings out recently so it's quite hard to know what to go with. I've got no complaints at least.

I think it's great but I don't have anything to compare it with. For some reason, there are loads of different pressings out recently so it's quite hard to know what to go with. I've got no complaints at least.
Its crazy to me that of all his albums this is the one that seems to have been reissued so many times. I even have a Frankensteined album which is this alongside tracks from another session. Very weird.

#1549-1550

Lucinda Williams
Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music

You can normally tell when my girlfriend comes home for the difficult music stops - I'd just finished spinning the Mingus (although not sure my 10yo daughter endorsed the title as the first thing she did on coming home from school was turn it down). A great album still. And Lucinda Williams may be more god-friendly but she's also fantastic and this is maybe my 2nd favourite of hers behind Car Wheels...

20210506_203615.jpg

20210506_164650.jpg

Back