What's Spinning

Gene Russell - New Direction (Real Gone Music, 2020 RSD Limited Pressing)

Im really glad I was able to get a copy of this, its absolutely stunning. Really great pressing as well, flat and clear. Looking forward to the other reissues in the series, hoping they are all as good as this one!

IMG_2186.JPG

B81F96FC-DA84-4C4F-94F6-3A8EE268ED41.jpeg

pink floyd - a saucerful of secrets

during this marathon i will post a favorite track from each record.

rick wright’s song contributions to the albums over the years aren’t always talked about, but there’s a fair share of them that rank highly for me, including this one.

Freddie Hubbard - The Night Of The Cookers - Live At Club La Marchal, Volume 2 (Blue Note, 1966 First Mono Pressing)

Hells bells this is a killer live session and this mono pressing sounds incredible. Clearly a ton of energy on that night, with fantastic back and forths between Freddie Hubbard and Lee Morgan. The best bit for me though is an incredible drum solo by Pete LaRoca (the relatively quiet crowd begins to whoop at this point) followed by a more mellow conga solo by Danny "Big Black" Rey. Incredible stuff!

IMG_2190.JPG

Anyone: how many records do you have? really? Wow, it looks like you sort of gave up on retiring? For records and a stereo?

Why yes, yes I did.
20200912_175138.jpg
E.S.T, live at Gothenburg. ACT records. Thanks @Poly-Rythmo (I think?) for reminding me how awesome these records are... And for eventually costing me a large amount of money for the OOP Hamburg set.

(Yes, make responsible financial planning choices, be disciplined in your allocations, plan well....and remember -- the window to live is finite and it's okay to invest in what you love during the time you have)

E43D707E-0A0E-4F3B-B1C2-704A0F79BA40.jpeg

Somehow I end up getting most Iggy Pop RSD releases. Packaging is beautiful. Pressing is fine. Sound quality requires tolerance and a love for really bad sounding live recordings.

On the plus side you will never feel like your stereo equipment isn’t up to giving you all the fidelity contained in those stylish colored grooves. All this is not imply I don’t like it. Just not the best place to start on your Iggy Pop journey.

Back