What's Spinning

My collection #757-758

Franco et L'Orchestre TP OK Jazz - Vol 3
Nat Birchall - Mysticism of Sound

Franco has so many songs over his three decades of dominating Congolese music and I love the difference and similarities between his tighter earlier stuff and his stretched out jams later on. Plus, one of 2020's best jazz records so far where Nat Birchall played everything, recorded everything, photographed and designed everything in a cosmic tribute to Sun Ra.

20200801_222300.jpg

20200801_215017.jpg

My collection #759-760

Van Morrison - It's Too Late to Stop Now
Orchestre Black Santiago

My favourite live album in an immaculate first UK pressing (I'd love them to release the rest of the concerts on vinyl). Van Morrison has a reputation as a curmudgeon, but when I was on work experience at my local newspaper I wrote a review of his gig at our local theatre and a few weeks later I got a note from him thanking me and wishing me Happy Christmas. Never had anything like that happen before or since. So I can't help but listen to this with a huge grin. And one of my rarest records, and a fresh grab - a collection of fab singles by the wonderful group from Benin.

20200802_115355.jpg

20200802_133859.jpg

Last edited:
1B83BC30-535D-4A21-B876-9E5DAD491637.jpeg

Boillat Therace Quintet “Live 1974 + 3”.

Not much to look at (except for us diehard rec nerds maybe) but this is some pretty solid and special slabs of wax. Sounds good. Great live documentary of the show. From the Bandcamp listing:

“Collector's item - Double LP - White label - 100 copies only - Only here.
Never released madness from the Swiss jazz quintet.
Recorded live at Montreux Jazz Festival, July 3rd 1974.
+ 3 bonus tracks from the self-titled album sessions (Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, and Claude Engel covers), never on vinyl before.

From We Release Jazz”

Back