What's Spinning

The last thing I listened to yesterday and the first thing hitting my ears today. This record is just too good. I swear I heard rumblings that this was stuff that was deemed "not good enough" to be released. That had to be a mistake. This record blows the doors off.
View attachment 57443
At that time though it probably wasn’t due to the absolute brilliance of what was being released. I’ve had four play throughs though and love it.

Also, what’s that book? I could look it up but you know...lazy

At that time though it probably wasn’t due to the absolute brilliance of what was being released. I’ve had four play throughs though and love it.

Also, what’s that book? I could look it up but you know...lazy
I can only imagine the reason it wasn't released was the Blue Note founders wont to not dilute the market by releasing too much from one artist too close together. It's why a bunch of stuff was shelved.

The book is Notes and Tones by Arthur Taylor. You may know Arthur as the great jazz drummer, but he had the incredible foresight to conduct interviews with a bunch of his fellow musicians and record them for posterity. He was able to get very candid conversations out of them because he was a friend and one of them. I’ve only read the Blakey chapter, but it really is great. Check the list of interviews:
1595183246934966768687093748673.jpg

I can only imagine the reason it wasn't released was the Blue Note founders wont to not dilute the market by releasing too much from one artist too close together. It's why a bunch of stuff was shelved.

The book is Notes and Tones by Arthur Taylor. You may know Arthur as the great jazz drummer, but he had the incredible foresight to conduct interviews with a bunch of his fellow musicians and record them for posterity. He was able to get very candid conversations out of them because he was a friend and one of them. I’ve only read the Blakey chapter, but it really is great. Check the list of interviews:
View attachment 57460
Added to the reading list, Sounds great

My collection #721-722

The Charlatans - Between 10th and 11th
EABS - Kraksa

The Charlatans replaced the Stone Roses as the main band of my teenage years (not even Oasis could dethrone them). This was never my favourite of theirs but sounds great on this reissue and comes with a great gig too (shame about the awful reproduction of the cover art). And the EABS is a cracking little EP featuring Tenderlonious.

20200719_220308.jpg

20200719_215011.jpg

Back