What should I do, speaker dilemma ?

Sturgus

I have a dilemma about speakers. My main speakers are an old pair of Merlin VSM-SE's. I am not at all unhappy with them and love the way they sound. The problem is there is a crossover upgrade that would bring them close to the last model before the company closed. The cost will be around $1200. All the reviews say that this is a worthwhile upgrade. My dilemma is I have had a chance to listen to the Maggie LSR and I think they are a great sounding little speakers, and for the cost a no brainier. I can only do one of these at this time, and am thoroughly confused as to what to do. Any ideas?
Thanks

I have a dilemma about speakers. My main speakers are an old pair of Merlin VSM-SE's. I am not at all unhappy with them and love the way they sound. The problem is there is a crossover upgrade that would bring them close to the last model before the company closed. The cost will be around $1200. All the reviews say that this is a worthwhile upgrade. My dilemma is I have had a chance to listen to the Maggie LSR and I think they are a great sounding little speakers, and for the cost a no brainier. I can only do one of these at this time, and am thoroughly confused as to what to do. Any ideas?
Thanks

What amp do you have? As a former Maggie owner, I can tell you they are picky when it comes to amplifiers.

Hifi Guy, I have several to choose from. I would probably start with my Musical Design D-140 SS amp. I have used this one with my old MG 3a's with great success. It is high current and doubles at 4 ohms. I also have my Aronov Monos which are 110 watts and also drove the Maggie's quite well. I also have some Dyna mk3's and a Adcom 545. I have always liked the Maggie sound so I am tempted.

Hifi Guy, I have several to choose from. I would probably start with my Musical Design D-140 SS amp. I have used this one with my old MG 3a's with great success. It is high current and doubles at 4 ohms. I also have my Aronov Monos which are 110 watts and also drove the Maggie's quite well. I also have some Dyna mk3's and a Adcom 545. I have always liked the Maggie sound so I am tempted.

Looks to me like you’ve got the amp covered.

I’m thinking get the Maggies. If you don’t live trek you can move them on and lose very little.

Back