What music should I play: audiophile event

displayname

I’m a member of a local audiophile club, and I’ll be hosting and showcasing my system next month.

I plan to play 5 tracks for my showcase, but only 1 on vinyl. I’m torn on what that one should be, so I wanted to open it up for discussion and ideas.

So for the short list includes Daft Punk, The Lemon of Pink, Nirvana Unplugged, KGWL (Sketches), or Fleetwood Mac.

What would you play?

Last edited:
I’m a member of a local audiophile club, and I’ll be hosting and showcasing my system next month.

I plan to play 5 tracks for my showcase, but only 1 on vinyl. I’m torn on what that one should be, so I wanted to open it up for discussion and ideas.

So for the short list includes Daft Punk, The Lemon of Pink, Nirvana Unplugged, KGWL (Sketches), or Fleetwood Mac.

What would you play?

Out of that short list I’d play Giorgio by Moroder - Daft Punk.

For a bit of a left field argument, if you have the 2x45 pressing of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and it's not one with the QA issues of the most recent run, it's a contender. It's objectively an amazing sounding mastering of the recording, and I think there's some interesting things that can happen when you take a song everyone's heard a hundred times before and give them something new in it that a pure technical display doesn't. In there it's probably more up to taste, I'm a sucker for Go Your Own Way for folks who haven't heard it, Songbird is a contender.

For a bit of a left field argument, if you have the 2x45 pressing of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and it's not one with the QA issues of the most recent run, it's a contender. It's objectively an amazing sounding mastering of the recording, and I think there's some interesting things that can happen when you take a song everyone's heard a hundred times before and give them something new in it that a pure technical display doesn't. In there it's probably more up to taste, I'm a sucker for Go Your Own Way for folks who haven't heard it, Songbird is a contender.

Though this is probably the safest bet if you're hosting people that are more into rock.

I’d play Lemon of Pink just to see how many of them turn into Bill the Cat.
Honestly, I do keep coming back to this. It’s objectively an excellent pressing and recording, and this is a group that largely worships Kind of Blue. I don’t know if some of them would know how to process it.

I think it’s between this and Fleetwood Mac.
I know amongst the classics crowd I will sometimes go to the Fleetwood 45 pressing of The Chain, because those opening guitar notes absolutely knock you off your chair. It's hard to beat. My current favorite in terms of bonkers 3D staging is the Mofi 45 of Brothers in Arms "Ride Across The River". Although it may be too world music'y for some people... (ahem @TrainFan73 looking at you)

I know amongst the classics crowd I will sometimes go to the Fleetwood 45 pressing of The Chain, because those opening guitar notes absolutely knock you off your chair. It's hard to beat. My current favorite in terms of bonkers 3D staging is the Mofi 45 of Brothers in Arms "Ride Across The River". Although it may be too world music'y for some people... (ahem @TrainFan73 looking at you)
👀 What is too world music?

Here's a totally under the radar song that absolutely no one else would use to show off their system but It's one of my go-to tunes when I want to check things out.

Varied acoustic instruments, electric bass, drums, orchestration, an 'in the room' vocal, dynamics without crazy volume changes, soundstage and depth...

Here's a totally under the radar song that absolutely no one else would use to show off their system but It's one of my go-to tunes when I want to check things out.

Varied acoustic instruments, electric bass, drums, orchestration, an 'in the room' vocal, dynamics without crazy volume changes, soundstage and depth...

This my track that covers this general genre: Chris Jones - Roadhouses & Automobiles

I think Chris Jones voice here is simply one of the best showcases of lower mid vocals. I've had a few people bring up the crossover on their subs after playing this track. It'll call it out if you're missing something in that range.

What do you play for high vocals? I always play Loreena McKennitt “Bonny Portmore” but am curious what you use.

I don’t really go for high vocals so much as male and female. But for female I’m usually going more pop. Billie Eilish, St Vincent (piano Masseduction), Dua Lipa.

I have others, but really it’s Billie and Dua like 90% of the time.

Back