What do Discogs market want/have stats mean?

thefsb

I looked up the record I put in the Nov Challenge today on Discogs and saw this

1604587476059.png

Is that plausible? If 895 Discogs users went to the trouble of having themselves counted as having it, how many people who have the record didn't? It's hard to imagine so many copies in circulation.

I looked up the record I put in the Nov Challenge today on Discogs and saw this

View attachment 73524

Is that plausible? If 895 Discogs users went to the trouble of having themselves counted as having it, how many people who have the record didn't? It's hard to imagine so many copies in circulation.
It means pretty much exactly what you said. That many people have it in their “collection” on Discogs. Sometimes. There are pressing notes in the “notes” section sometimes that state quantity if it was limited. Some just don’t have a ton of info.

Those stats are pretty straightforward. If you have the record in your cogs collection you are a +1 to that stat. If you have the record in your wantlist you are a+1 to that respective stat. One can certainly have records in their cogs collection that one doesn't not physically have in their possession.

As the other guys have said, its what it says on the tin. Where it becomes interesting is the records which have very very few people that have added it to their collection. I have a few jazz oddities where there are less than 10 people that have 'added' it to their collection. With these releases, I am always intrigued by what the actual number of copies in circulation is. It's not something that could ever be calculated but still interesting. Here are a couple of examples:

Joe Harriott with Strings

Tubby Hayes Modern Jazz Scene 1956

Roy Haynes ‎– Americans In Sweden

I mean, I’m fairly certain my daughter and I are not the only people that bought this record:

I’m willing to bet someone else has this record:

Back