Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

So how many of you all moved from a Zu speaker to the Lintons? What did the Lintons do better than the Zu’s?
FTFY ;)

That said, I kept my Zu's for my second system. I think it would have been a harder choice if I had to give up my Zu's to have the Linton's. I'm at about 80 hours on the Linton's, they have a nice full, deep sound, but I don't think it's a "Better" than thing if comparing to the Zu's. I love the way my Zu's sound, full disclosure, my Zu DW have Druid MK II drivers, it's a different sound characteristic.

I can tell one from the other blind folded, but I think they both offer solid sound quality, it's more of a which boxes each checks for you in design, price and sound..........which is always the hard part. I would say the Linton's would be a more all around, pleasing to most speaker, where I think the Zu's are more an acquired taste that doesn't appeal to everyone.

I hope that helps a little.

I’m genuinely curious, though the reason I’m wondering has more to do with the difference in approach to design. Does the large, full range driver (especially with the Souls) offer something remarkably different than the Linton with multiple crossovers. Maybe the Zu thread would be a better place to ask this, but let me put it another way. Does the Linton design bring it’s sound closer to the advantages of a big full range driver than other speakers with multiple crossovers?

I’m genuinely curious, though the reason I’m wondering has more to do with the difference in approach to design. Does the large, full range driver (especially with the Souls) offer something remarkably different than the Linton with multiple crossovers. Maybe the Zu thread would be a better place to ask this, but let me put it another way. Does the Linton design bring it’s sound closer to the advantages of a big full range driver than other speakers with multiple crossovers?
The Souls sound faster, and obviously are far more efficient. The lack of a complex crossover do make them sound cleaner as well. I don’t think you can really compare the two. They are too different.

I’m thinking about getting these speakers and I think I have a dealer near me (although not sure that they offer demos...I’ll have to call). But I was wondering for those that have them, how far away from the back wall do you place them? I don’t have a lot of flexibility there as I sit about 8 ft from the speakers now.

I’m thinking about getting these speakers and I think I have a dealer near me (although not sure that they offer demos...I’ll have to call). But I was wondering for those that have them, how far away from the back wall do you place them? I don’t have a lot of flexibility there as I sit about 8 ft from the speakers now.
Mine are sitting 12" from the wall and sound great with a 1" toe in. So 12" on the short side, 13" on the long, I think you'll be impressed with the sound. :)

I’ve got a lot more toe in than @AnthonyI - I’m 15” from the rear of the cabinet to the wall on the inside and 21” on the outside. They sound fantastic.

Keep in mind there is no real "set" distance and or toe in, every room is different, everyone's listening spot is different and sometimes you just don't have a lot of choice in the matter. Also, you need to experiment a bit, I started off a little further out and more toe in, you just need to play with it a bit.

I run mine a little closer to the wall than most on here (to get the aesthetic approval from the boss), and they still sound fantastic. I am slowwwwwly creeping them out further hoping she won't notice! I also have a 1 inch toe in since my room is pretty wide.

Anyone feel like voiding there warranty ? :) Seems like the first one is removing the tweeter covers, the second is soldering the internal connections and crossover modifications.

Was someone here going to try Isoacoustics GAIA's with there Linton's btw ?

What is everyone using for speaker cables on the Lintons ?

I think I made a decision tonight , can you tell ? :whistle:

Last edited:
Anyone feel like voiding there warranty ? :) Seems like the first one is removing the tweeter covers, the second is soldering the internal connections and crossover modifications.

That’s actually good advice on the second video for someone who wants to mod/upgrade their Lintons. The issue I see is that the video was done too soon. The resistor and the capacitor he changed need to be broken in- so another 100-125 hours- especially the capacitor. He doesn’t know yet what he’s actually done.

The Linton midrange driver is far heftier than I expected.

One more point- he’s obviously looking for more detail. And that’s fine. But more detail does not necessarily mean more musical enjoyment. I’ve heard systems where it seems that you can hear a gnat fart. Gobs of detail. But systems like that wear on me pretty quickly. Part of the beauty of the Lintons are that you want to listen to “just one more album”. Sleep be damned. Mods may change that, something I wouldn’t want to do.

That’s actually good advice on the second video for someone who wants to mod/upgrade their Lintons. The issue I see is that the video was done too soon. The resistor and the capacitor he changed need to be broken in- so another 100-125 hours- especially the capacitor. He doesn’t know yet what he’s actually done.

Man I can barely get the grilles off these babies I’m not messing with that!

He does have good comments for the Linton's after 200 hours here. Seems like he made this before his mods video's above.

Last edited:

No need to modify the speakers for the Gaias, get the IsoAcoustic Orea Indigos instead. They work on the same principles, but without the screw mount. I’ve only used the Gaias but, dollar for dollar, it’s the biggest improvement I’ve made to my system.

No need to modify the speakers for the Gaias, get the IsoAcoustic Orea Indigos instead. They work on the same principles, but without the screw mount. I’ve only used the Gaias but, dollar for dollar, it’s the biggest improvement I’ve made to my system.

Looks at cost of 8 feet

Throws phone on the floor

Jumps up and down on it

Sets it on fire.

Last edited:
Looks at cost of 8 feet

Throws phone of the floor

Jumps up and down on it

Sets it on fire.

Also in all seriousness the Linton’s are on a spiked steel stand that weighs a tonne, I’m not too concerned. The tweak I may make is to replace those hateful little sorbothane dots with maybe four of these for the meeting point between each speaker and it’s stand.

Edit: or more likely these for less again, if they can quiet a big old heavy washing machine they’re going to work well for any audio too!

Last edited:
Back