Waxwing Phono Preamplifier Thread

Yes, I could utilize either option (RCA or digital). I have never had any issues with hum in my current setup (Technics SL1200G to PS Audio) so hopefully a Waxwing - which I've read is very capable and quiet - wouldn't introduce anything.

Hums aside, are there any tangible sound differences you hear between digtial and RCA out? I could do RCA straight to my amp utilizing the Waxwing's DAC but I could also toslink it to my Marantz SA-KI Ruby's DAC and then to my amp (e.g. I currently use a coaxial setup from my Bluesound Node to the Marantz to the amp for my digital library to great success).
I would have to go back and forth a few times, taking time to level match outputs to be sure. I may have convinced myself the Modius is perhaps better. Best thing for you would be to try it both ways and see. If there is a difference, it is not much. The main reason I use the digital out to the Modius is the extra 6 db output using the balanced outputs in the Modius. This allows me to better match my turntable volume to my music server volume. Helps prevent big volume changes between vinyl and music server in the case of forgetting to turn the volume down.

Yes, I could utilize either option (RCA or digital). I have never had any issues with hum in my current setup (Technics SL1200G to PS Audio) so hopefully a Waxwing - which I've read is very capable and quiet - wouldn't introduce anything.

Hums aside, are there any tangible sound differences you hear between digtial and RCA out? I could do RCA straight to my amp utilizing the Waxwing's DAC but I could also toslink it to my Marantz SA-KI Ruby's DAC and then to my amp (e.g. I currently use a coaxial setup from my Bluesound Node to the Marantz to the amp for my digital library to great success).
To add to what @Bob from Florida said, specs aside, your dac may sound different (it will depend on a lot of things as to how different it sounds). Use the one you like better. With my marantz cd player, the onboard dac is slightly better than my amp’s dac but not enough that I would consider running a preamp to use the rca ins if needed (ie when I buy an outboard phono)…

I saw a review where someone ran their turntable into their phonostage with two outputs. They ran one output straight into their preamp and the other into the Waxwing and then their amp. So, effectively, when they wanted pure analog the could bypass the Waxwing and when they wanted the benefits/features of the Waxwing, they could include it in the chain.

I imagine this could be interesting to do....my phonostage has both balanced output and line level, so I could use it this way.

My question is, would there be any adverse affect to having the gain/load settings of both the phonostage and the Waxwing in the chain? Would you just match them?

I saw a review where someone ran their turntable into their phonostage with two outputs. They ran one output straight into their preamp and the other into the Waxwing and then their amp. So, effectively, when they wanted pure analog the could bypass the Waxwing and when they wanted the benefits/features of the Waxwing, they could include it in the chain.

I imagine this could be interesting to do....my phonostage has both balanced output and line level, so I could use it this way.

My question is, would there be any adverse affect to having the gain/load settings of both the phonostage and the Waxwing in the chain? Would you just match them?

if both are full phono preamps and they are in a chain one after the other you’d be applying a lot of gain and relevant rectification curve twice. My feeling is it would sound shouty loud and and distorted.

if both are full phono preamps and they are in a chain one after the other you’d be applying a lot of gain and relevant rectification curve twice. My feeling is it would sound shouty loud and and distorted.
Yea, I reads odd to me. And I looked at the review twice to see if I was missing some sort of bypass.

This is the review:

And an excerpt:

"What I found worked best for me was turntable > analog phono pre > Waxwing > DAC. Since my analog phono pre has two line outs, I was able to A/B test using my preamp input selector."

Yea, I reads odd to me. And I looked at the review twice to see if I was missing some sort of bypass.

This is the review:

And an excerpt:

"What I found worked best for me was turntable > analog phono pre > Waxwing > DAC. Since my analog phono pre has two line outs, I was able to A/B test using my preamp input selector."

Very strange indeed. I’m not quite sure what he is doing there!

This is the review:

And an excerpt:

The only way that could work would be to use the Waxwings CD level function and no phono equalization. Completely useless since you are not taking advantage of the perfect RIAA equalization available in the Waxwing. You would be doing an ADC of whatever the analog phono stage was doing, manipulating it some, then converting back to analog. I can't understand how that would be useful.

From the parks audio website specs on the waxwing:
Ah, bingo! Funny I looked at the Parks Audio site to see if I could decipher how to use it in conjunction with another phono. But I clicked on the "Waxwing Manual" link and that only lists -4dB as default for CD preset; but you're right, on the splash page with highlights it does say that.

I honestly think that would be a key hack for the Waxwing. Okay, if I was building an entry-ish level system, I would probably give the Waxwing a serious look as sole phonostage - full stop. But...if I already had a nice phonostage and it had dual outputs, I would seriously look at using the WW in conjunction. I think it would be a great selling point for the "adventurous purist", if you will. You'd still have a fully analog chain, but could utilize the WW with all those bonus features when needed/wanted (which I think, between Magic, EQ, grading, azimuth, etc is worth the price point alone). Plus, if your main phono ever needs repairs, shits the bed, etc., you have an in situ backup ready to go.

Back