Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Did anyone on here end up getting that Fist City reissue? Curious how it sounds since it was supposedly from a new master (at least that’s what they claimed when it was first delayed that they were sourcing tapes).

I did

I got it. Thought it sounded great. Don't have anything to compare though.

this is also my take

For real. It's been less than a month since they bought out Platform here in OH.

No.

Thanks.
Yupp, I already didn't really like platform, now I have no reason to support them, except they did give me a gift card for completing the cleveland beer passport before Phunkenship opened so I shall use their own money for one last salty purchase.

Did anyone on here end up getting that Fist City reissue? Curious how it sounds since it was supposedly from a new master (at least that’s what they claimed when it was first delayed that they were sourcing tapes).
I don’t have an original to compare but VMP’s version is 45 RPM and sounds really good. It was packed in one of those loose poly bags.

Thanks @Kris @bdm105 and @Djxfactor511 ! I think I will grab it this month, been looking for decent Loretta for over a year, and I only see her 80s stuff in local shops. Not too much demand for country this far north I guess haha.

Edit: Just decided to pick it up for $24 vs waiting for swaps to save a dollar. Wish they had done a few more from her catalog, but her stuff seems to have not been too popular.

Last edited:
Wonder if this makes it to swaps. It is supposed to ship in Early September.
I was thinking that too but there were only 300, he is advertising it on his instagram and it is open to the general public so it might be close. Personally I am not big on autographs anyways (unless it was like an all-time great or someone I care a great deal for). I am gonna stick with my “cocaine white” bandcamp variant.

Nothing about this Joel Ross is worth 33 bucks. Just got it, cheap flimsy gatefold, cheapest paper sleeves you can buy which scratch up every record they have ever contained, and a noisy pressing that is super distracting anytime you get a silent passage, so far the first track on side A seems to be the worst culprit. The music is great, shame about pretty much everything else.

Last edited:
I found a real nice clean copy of Dolly Parton’s Jolene for $14 at HPB’s yesterday I thought I would go ahead and buy that then cancel my Willie/Dolly bundle and just purchase Willie by itself. After listening to it though I think I am just gonna hang in there with the bundle. The OG copy sounds hot. The highs warble unpleasantly. The copy is super clean so I don’t think it’s the disc and it’s the same on both sides. I wonder if they all sound like this or if it’s just a bum copy. Regardless, I am hoping the VMP pressing (which I am assuming is the same as the upcoming remaster) sounds better than this.

Nothing about this Joel Ross is worth 33 bucks. Just got it, cheap flimsy gatefold, cheapest paper sleeves you can buy which scratch up every record they have ever contained, and a noisy pressing that is super distracting anytime you get a silent passage. The music is great, shame about everything else.

Yeah, I listened to mine last night and sides A&B were fairly noisy during the more quiet sections as well. The last half seemed a bit better noise-wise, but still pretty disappointing overall based on the first half.

Nothing about this Joel Ross is worth 33 bucks. Just got it, cheap flimsy gatefold, cheapest paper sleeves you can buy which scratch up every record they have ever contained, and a noisy pressing that is super distracting anytime you get a silent passage, so far the first track on side A seems to be the worst culprit. The music is great, shame about everything else.
tumblr_miupndB5fi1rmtenjo1_500.gif

When you support a company that's been known to overcharge for exclusives

Yeah, I listened to mine last night and sides A&B were fairly noisy during the more quiet sections as well. The last half seemed a bit better noise-wise, but still pretty disappointing overall based on the first half.
Yeah I mean is it the worst? No. It's... fine. Maybe I've been spoiled by how good classics pressings are now but seriously, for a company that's partnered with Blue Note on an entire anthology, why is this package so cheap and why is the pressing so average? And the absolute cheapest paper sleeves?? C'mon man...

Back