Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

They cancelled and refunded my boxsets right away. Haven't gotten notices on the other three items yet. But was very fast. Guessing that's keeping cs busy today.
If they end up knackered because of a run on them then that’s some total self inflicted shit. The sheer number of pre orders they must have out there is just asking to be shot in the arse.

I think I’ve Alicia Keyes, Kamasi and a dinged mystery bucket to fulfil. There’s an irony that the mystery selection has now shifted from ‘what records might you get’ to ‘will you get any records at all’. But I suppose you pay the premium for maximum suspense

This is the problem they now have, the business is entirely dependent on its perceived creditworthiness since it moved to a largely pre-order model (which I suspect was linked to sinking all its cash into the new plant). We essentially provide them with interest-free loans to press our records... as soon as we are no longer willing to do that, or worse we all ask for refunds on projects where that capital has already been committed, not only does their cashflow dry up but they risk a full-blown run on their cash resources... so I would say their viability as a going concern is definitely in doubt... they need to come out with some sort of statement to inspire some confidence or I fear the worst!
They’ve been preorder for the entire time?

If they end up knackered because of a run on them then that’s some total self inflicted shit. The sheer number of pre orders they must have out there is just asking to be shot in the arse.

I think I’ve Alicia Keyes, Kamasi and a dinged mystery bucket to fulfil. There’s an irony that the mystery selection has now shifted from ‘what records might you get’ to ‘will you get any records’ but I suppose you pay the premium for maximum suspense
This was the worry that made me decide I could live without the records so long as I got my money back. I know it's a snowball effect, but how long will they be able to survive if there's a run on the fat preorder money they're sitting on? Not a chance I'm willing to take anymore.

Plus my niece is getting married next month, so might as well put the money toward that.

I think I’ve Alicia Keyes, Kamasi and a dinged mystery bucket to fulfil. There’s an irony that the mystery selection has now shifted from ‘what records might you get’ to ‘will you get any records at all’. But I suppose you pay the premium for maximum suspense
On the other hand, if enough folks cancel pre-orders, it could elevate the contents of your mystery bucket!

They’ve been preorder for the entire time?
No I wouldn't say that, it used to be the case that some store drops would be immediately in stock, that's pretty much never the case now and I would suspect it's linked to the drain on capital that the plant has been... their business model is now entirely funded by pre-orders and subscriptions and if those dry-up then they'll need to raise debt or equity capital which isn't cheap right now... they're essentially a vinyl pyramid scheme where the pre-orders from the next project are used to pay the bills from the previous project... I'm nervous for them...

No I wouldn't say that, it used to be the case that some store drops would be immediately in stock, that's pretty much never the case now and I would suspect it's linked to the drain on capital that the plant has been... their business model is now entirely funded by pre-orders and subscriptions and if those dry-up then they'll need to raise debt or equity capital which isn't cheap right now... they're essentially a vinyl pyramid scheme where the pre-orders from the next project are used to pay the bills from the previous project... I'm nervous for them...
Their exclusives were always preorders. Store drops of nonexclusive items used to be kind of on demand but the majority of their business has always been pay us now, we’ll send you stuff in a month or two.

Hell in the spreadsheet days you were basically building their order for them.

The difference has been that since the pandemic wait times were forever and still are.

Looked and my only pre-order is the Impulse Anthology. I was surprised I didn't have any others, but that in a way is illustrative of the point that others have made regarding curation. Since it was 40% off, I'm going to let that one preorder ride, but I don't blame anyone for pulling out given the Bandbox history and the questionable situation surrounding the pressing plant.

I’ve got Nilsson Sings Newman and Shabaka and 7 mos of a country sub left. I’ll give it a minute to see what happens.

Can’t wait to see how they spin this as Saddle Creek’s fault.

Also, Storf’s thread or whatever on Discord is strangely silent especially given the give us a plant update chatter there a week ago. Have they shut some stuff down?

Looked and my only pre-order is the Impulse Anthology. I was surprised I didn't have any others, but that in a way is illustrative of the point that others have made regarding curation. Since it was 40% off, I'm going to let that one preorder ride, but I don't blame anyone for pulling out given the Bandbox history and the questionable situation surrounding the pressing plant.

Mine was 40% off, but I canceled anyway. Things are tight at home right now, which made that decision easier. Were I working these days I'd have let it ride, but the money's of better use right now.

I still hope the set happens, I hope that it's awesome, and I hope I can eventually get one.

Also, Storf’s thread or whatever on Discord is strangely silent especially given the give us a plant update chatter there a week ago. Have they shut some stuff down?

The more time I spent there the more I have a feeling it's full of paid people (or maybe even employees) trying to build some hype around each and every release.

Mine was 40% off, but I canceled anyway. Things are tight at home right now, which made that decision easier. Were I working these days I'd have let it ride, but the money's of better use right now.

I still hope the set happens, I hope that it's awesome, and I hope I can eventually get one.
I was thinking, "maybe I'll wait until they send some communication to respond to the situation" - then I immediately started laughing to myself because if there's anything we know, it's that they won't do that.

Back