Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I recently joined a standing tradition like this with some friends. It's more focused on songs of the year instead of albums. We do a NCAA style tournament with 64 songs (so we each submit 10-11 songs, there being 6 of us) and then they get randomized into the competition. It leads to a lot of funny and frustrating discussions since the notion of songs competing against one another, especially when they are totally different genres, is challenging. It's a ton of fun to see what other people think are the best tracks of the year though, and to see how many of us have the same tracks. There usually isn't too much overlap actually, since the group has diverse tastes.
given the competitive nature of my friends, i'm a little embarrassed we didn't think of this on our own. i might just steal this idea for our decade discussion.

i mean that's all well and good but, and I'll say it again for the 1,000th time...WHY put reissues on sale months in advance of shipping? they should get the product in hand, listen to it to make sure it sounds right, and THEN put it in the store. not only will this avoid these types of delays, but wouldn't you as the customer be way more psyched to find out that "hey we have an exclusive reissue of TLC and guess what? if you order it today you'll get it next month!"?

Because the pseudo-Ponzi pyramid they’ve probably built to finance their business will fall apart

i mean that's all well and good but, and I'll say it again for the 1,000th time...WHY put reissues on sale months in advance of shipping? they should get the product in hand, listen to it to make sure it sounds right, and THEN put it in the store. not only will this avoid these types of delays, but wouldn't you as the customer be way more psyched to find out that "hey we have an exclusive reissue of TLC and guess what? if you order it today you'll get it next month!"?

I agree that for reissues that aren't going up elsewhere this is the way that it should be.

For new releases, however, I want to know as early as possible.

Because the pseudo-Ponzi pyramid they’ve probably built to finance their business will fall apart
I think there’s something to this, because they take the money now and they likely don’t have to pay until the records arrive in the warehouse, or even some period of time after that.

So in essence they get an interest free loan every time they put a preorder up. I doubt there’s much interest in changing that system.

Wonder how this affects those of us that swapped for it.

It was recommended I change my swap when I asked what was going on. Could always just wait for it, but if I am going to swap for something, I might as well get it. Tyler didnt think there was any issue with it selling out between now and next month, if I decide to swap for it again. Went with my last Classics backlog I needed, Soul Makossa.

So in essence they get an interest free loan every time they put a preorder up. I doubt there’s much interest in changing that system.
Also helps when they have to rush a repress like Nat or Outkast that they oversell. Pretty sure the pressing plant is making them pay an idiot fee on top of the regular charges. With so many pre-orders getting pushed by 2-3 months, it might come crashing down on them.

I think there’s something to this, because they take the money now and they likely don’t have to pay until the records arrive in the warehouse, or even some period of time after that.

I don't think they are the only ones guilty of this, but it's seeming like they are habitual offenders when it comes to not delivering when promised on the preorder though.

Maybe it's time for us all to start filling out the surveys and pushing for a "don't charge my card until it ships" type system since they keep screwing the pooch on shipping dates.

Depending on the record, that's not really true. If it's a brand new press, they have to pay usually about 1/2 the pressing cost up front or at least a big deposit towards it and then the rest of it before the plant will ship their records to the warehouse. I mean, they are still doing essentially the same thing (as are a lot of other labels) but it's not quite as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

If it's just a repress of existing plates.. I think the same thing runs true but the upfront 1/2 and backend 1/2 are not nearly as much as a new press.. but assuming they also have to pay to license those plates.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression they switched to a pre order model because the forum wanted it that way

I don't think they are the only ones guilty of this, but it's seeming like they are habitual offenders when it comes to not delivering when promised on the preorder though.

Maybe it's time for us all to start filling out the surveys and pushing for a "don't charge my card until it ships" type system since they keep screwing the pooch on shipping dates.
I mean I cancelled. The only reason I follow this or their anthology thread is because I still have outstanding items from them (fist city and ant apology shipment - the height of their stupidly in letting us know that’s what they refer to it as... maybe “ant fixed shipments”. You ain’t apologizing to me by sending me what you advertised you twats)

Has it really gotten that bad? I haven't been tracking exclusives that closely, but it does seem like a lot have missed their initial ship date.
Thats why I was asking, in case anyone was tracking this. I stopped buying exclusives from VMP last year because if felt like everyone I ordered got pushed at least a month. The last couple of exclusives I swapped for only when they were already available to ship.

Back