Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Also is pet sounds mono 45 better sounding than 33

I also wondered about just buying a stereo copy plus with these expensive audiophile mono pressings I keep thinking you need a mono cartridge

It is but the 33 is no slouch. I prefer original LP replicas so I don't have to flip the album 2 more times, but if you are going for strictly sound quality 45s are almost always superior sounding. Mono Pet Sounds is the way to go too — that's how Brian Wilson intended it.

Most stuff was around $17.

I miss this so much. I remember when I first joined and there was an apology message from Cam about how they had a couple of store titles that month that they couldn't do $17 on, and unfortunately they would have to be sold for $19. HOOO BOY how things have changed. Obviously not all VMP's fault, since prices are getting out of control across the board, but those were sure simpler times.

Did you buy the 2 LP 45 RPM or the 200 gram 33 RPM version?

The 33. I haven't found enough evidence anywhere that the 45 is better sound quality to justify the flow breakup on 2 discs. I'll trust a KG at 33 any day. Plus I'm going to compare it to my Carl and the Passions cut and may sell the one I like less

The 33. I haven't found enough evidence anywhere that the 45 is better sound quality to justify the flow breakup on 2 discs. I'll trust a KG at 33 any day. Plus I'm going to compare it to my Carl and the Passions cut and may sell the one I like less

Yeah I got the 33 as well straight from Acoustic Sounds for $35 (plus $4 shipping since I didnt go over the $50 free shipping threshold) and it's all you need unless you have an incredible system where having the added SQ of the 45 RPM is noticeable.

Yeah I have both the mono and stereo 33 AP releases of Pet Sounds. Mono is the way to go but it is a little muddy. Supposedly the stereo mix was created from a copy tape that was a generation closer to the master or something along those lines. It does sound more clear but at the expense of not being as cohesive of a sound. Both are fantastic in their own way though. I reach for the mono more often than not.

Should I have to wake myself at 4:00 am every day to check if VMP has store dropped the only decent collection in months?

Beach Boys, Miles and Duke are sold out. Pretty much 3/4 of the titles that I would have grabbed.

Well, there's your answer. I can't really fault VMP for selling these at a higher price if people are going to keep paying for them.

My guess is it's a lot of people with credits.
Speaking of credits, I finally got a refund of an oversold 3 Feet High and Rising that I ordered back in November, only after finally CC'ing Matt in my email to support. The refund was done in literally minutes, and the CS person was very apologetic and happily told me that they added some credits to my account for my trouble. Checked my account, and got $1.50 in credit... i mean honestly, why even bother.

Well, there's your answer. I can't really fault VMP for selling these at a higher price if people are going to keep paying for them.
My guess is it's a lot of people with credits.
That was my plan. I had credits and still had not used the discount.

I hope most of these purchases were from VMP members for the sake of membership but it looks like it yet another drop open to the public

Speaking of credits, I finally got a refund of an oversold 3 Feet High and Rising that I ordered back in November, only after finally CC'ing Matt in my email to support. The refund was done in literally minutes, and the CS person was very apologetic and happily told me that they added some credits to my account for my trouble. Checked my account, and got $1.50 in credit... i mean honestly, why even bother.
Meanwhile, they refunded me in store credits for Run DMC. They just gave me $34 rather than the $23 I actually paid for it... I might just start taking store credits more frequently than I used to...

....not for nothing, but I don't believe AP has a 45 RPM of Someday My Prince Will Come. :unsure:

EDIT: There is a small blur on this listing on the AS site "Praising their 45 RPM pressings", but this pressing is not 45 RPM............if it is, I'll take it for $35 at AS.............and $39 at VMP (Plus waiting a month to get it)

View attachment 33570
No, no, don't be silly, they don't lurk around here.....

🤭🤭🤭
Screenshot_20200220-151756_Chrome.jpg

I have to be honest, I dig VMP selling a curated selection of AP titles. I would have preferred the 33 over the 45 versions, but I miss having a small selection of high quality curated titles, so I think it's a nice change. I'm curious if they'll restock the titles that sell out, have a rotation of titles, or when this batch sells out they're gone?

And fwiw, I highly recommend that Dr. John's Gumbo. Amazing album, amazing remaster and pressing.

They used to sell Mofi’s in the store and they marked them up $20-$40 per record. I bought the one step of Marvin Gaye- What’s going on for $165 While it was on sale from Music Direct for $125. Don’t look at me like that...it was all store credit. :cool:
They also used to advertise some titles as MoFi at normal prices, but then ship out different pressings that sold for under $20 on Amazon. That's what happened to me with the Pixies.

Edit* to clarify why I'm still sour about this.
This is what was advertised: Pixies - Surfer Rosa
This is what was sent: Pixies - Surfer Rosa

I have not purchased a curated/non-exclusive from VMP since. And I won't even consider any of these AP selections because of that instance. Given the past year with them, I don't have faith they would have fully corrected this issue, even if they say they have.

Or maybe VMP isn't even warehousing them. Maybe they're just hosting a purchase point and they'll still ship from AP's spot.
That's my guess honestly. Maybe not that logistics process exactly, but something similar.

Last edited:
Back