Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

VMP said:
Since the fire, many of you have reached out expressing concern and asking how this will impact Vinyl Me, Please — the short answer is that, in the near to mid-term, it shouldn’t.

What is "near to mid-term" as an approximation? Also, shouldn't the phrasing be "short term?"

VMP said:
Many of our pressings are cut using DMM (Direct Metal Mastering), which does not require a lacquer.

Not surprising.

I am glad that VMP did address the situation. Also interesting to know that they use DMM a lot. My ears are not good enough (partially deaf in one ear) to tell the difference between a DMM repress and an original done with a lacquer, but some feel that the method is not great.
a lot of their stuff has been done with DMM (like 90% of their hip hop ROTMs are DMM at Gz)

no seriously i really find these jokes uncomfortable i know VMP are not a great company but joking about them burning down a whole building, hurting many, and possibly destroying the vinyl industry in the long term (no deaths but still)... is really fucked up especially since im really scared that vinyl will die in half a year

What are you basing the bold on? It seems unlikely. Forgetting the fact that A) many titles for the next 6 months already have their lacquers cut B) the demand is clearly still there C) there are alternatives to using lacquer and D) many of the mastering studios have inventory of blanks to get them through a while...then yeah, I guess I can understand your concern.

But when you take it all into account; just relax a bit. It's going to be fine.

What are you basing the bold on? It seems unlikely. Forgetting the fact that A) many titles for the next 6 months already have their lacquers cut B) the demand is clearly still there C) there are alternatives to using lacquer and D) many of the mastering studios have inventory of blanks to get them through a while...then yeah, I guess I can understand your concern.

But when you take it all into account; just relax a bit. It's going to be fine.
a complete shortage in lacquers means much more expensive prices which might stop the demand... and DMM is not going to be able to do every single record after the 6 or more months of the long term come (only a few plants do DMM and its very specialized). and not to mention apollo was also in charge of most of the styli for these mastering studios and their cutting machines so we will run out of styli

I am glad that VMP did address the situation. Also interesting to know that they use DMM a lot. My ears are not good enough (partially deaf in one ear) to tell the difference between a DMM repress and an original done with a lacquer, but some feel that the method is not great.

Yeah, glad to hear this. I'm obviously by no means an audiophile but I think most of VMPs pressings sound great, so this gives me a bit of relief to know DMM is very capable of still making solid pressings (IMO at least)

a complete shortage in lacquers means much more expensive prices which might stop the demand...
Yes but, if prices rise, that might make the economics more appealing to a new entrant(s), which then would drive vinyl prices back down in time. In a capital intensive business like this, sometimes a disruption in the industry is all that's needed to convince someone to make the investment and start on their own.

So while there may be price fluxuations, those can have positive effects in the grand scheme.

🤦🏻‍♂️
we built this forum in a day when our old home burnt down and hopes were lost....another company(ies) will emerge and fill the demand
Also, there was around a 20 year stretch when a heckuva lot less new vinyl was being put out and yet the hobby persisted. Record Collectors are like Cockroaches. We're hard to kill.

Last edited:

None really seem like must buys

Back