Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

That makes me sad that most pressing plants have so much quality control issues nowadays! I wonder if it was like this in the 60’s, 70’s and/or 80’s?!
I've never once heard these types of distortion and crackling on a vintage record. I've also never seen a warped one, it was definitely not like this prior to the past 15 years or so...

But also, fancy coloured vinyl doesn't help. Much more likely to have noise and issues. My Ann Arbor Vol 1 disc two has repetitive crackle on the last song on each side and guess where it happens? Right where the white vinyl and the black vinyl meet.

Last edited:
That makes me sad that most pressing plants have so much quality control issues nowadays! I wonder if it was like this in the 60’s, 70’s and/or 80’s?!

The problem is 2 fold. 1st) the revival in vinyl has outpaced the revival in vinyl manufacturing. There's less capacity than there was when vinyl was King, and though demand levels are nowhere near what they weird pre-digital, there's still an imbalance between product demand and output. This contributes to quality issues because the limited number of plants are too swamped to focus enough on QC - their goal is to move as much product as possible in the least amount of time. We need more manufacturers. 2nd) the equipment most places are using are nearly (and in some cases more) half a century old. This can lead to a higher rate of defects than in the past as well. We need newer machinery.

I've never once heard these types of distortion and crackling on a vintage record. I've also never seen a warped one, it was definitely not like this prior to the past 15 years or so...

But also, fancy coloured vinyl doesn't help. Much more likely to have noise and issues. My Ann Arbor Vol 1 disc two has repetitive crackle on the last song on each side and guess where it happens? Right where the white vinyl and the black vinyl meet.
Mmmmmmm that’s what I thought myself! Every 50’s and 60’s second hand jazz record I’ve purchased (original pressings), have never been warped and sound great. And yes, no sound distortion as well!

I’ll listen out for that crackle on the Ann Arbor Blues Exclusive! Hopefully it’s not too bad! 🤞

The problem is 2 fold. 1st) the revival in vinyl has outpaced the revival in vinyl manufacturing. There's less capacity than there was when vinyl was King, and though demand levels are nowhere near what they weird pre-digital, there's still an imbalance between product demand and output. This contributes to quality issues because the limited number of plants are too swamped to focus enough on QC - their goal is to move as much product as possible in the least amount of time. We need more manufacturers. 2nd) the equipment most places are using are nearly (and in some cases more) half a century old. This can lead to a higher rate of defects than in the past as well. We need newer machinery.
Mmmmmmmm thank you very much for this explanation! It makes so much sense, especially after reading @marshall say that before (before the vinyl revival period), he had literally zero issues!

Let’s hope more pressing plants open up, if the vinyl industry is still booming! I hope the vinyl revival lasts, because I love vinyl and high quality reissues of albums I love/love from discovery!

I bought plenty back then. Zero issues. Literally would just open and play.

Ok, I'm not trying to open a new can of worms but I've often wondered- and I'm assuming you were a youth in the 60s/70s, but was your turntable/speakers anywhere comparable to what you have now? A lot of the setups that young people would have had back then may not have exposed flaws like what people around here would consider an acceptable entry level system today.

Ok, I'm not trying to open a new can of worms but I've often wondered- and I'm assuming you were a youth in the 60s/70s, but was your turntable/speakers anywhere comparable to what you have now? A lot of the setups that young people would have had back then may not have exposed flaws like what people around here would consider an acceptable entry level system today.
Grew up in 70s/80s and had my dad’s system. It wasn’t as nice as mine now but was a Realistic set up with a decent table. I still have those records and play them today and they are all still dead flat. Same with vintage presses I buy now. I will give you that some of the new remastered stuff sounds phenomenal and even better from a pure sound standpoint but warps and pressing defects are more of an issue.

I can’t believe it was literally zero issues! That’s absolutely crazy to think back then you wouldn’t have any problems!
Never even crossed our minds that there would be a problem. Zero stress. Now it’s like a game of chance at times to the point where I open and check for flatness before I clean so I don’t waste my time. My wife laughs at me.

I have zero idea about systems and migration, so I have to ask. Is it normal or usual that a system migration takes two months??? They are "near the end" now; is this normal? Or is this Voldemort?
Is is very abnormal for a system migration to take this long! This is due to Voldermort casting a nasty spell on VMP! 😈👺💥

Nathan is partially correct. This is very abnormal. But this is not due to some spell which implies vmp has zero accountability and this just happened to them. Nope. They caused this themselves. They should have not done this during the busiest time of the year which is usually a black out time for most companies that know what they are doing. There should have been extremely minimal impact on customers. Other than it looking new, it actually should have been blind to customers. They should have tested the heck out of this in a test environment before going live in production. They should have had a conversion plan. There are so many things that should have happened that did not. This is one of the worst migrations I've seen implemented ever.

I got to pick a replacement record (Alma Con Alma) for RUN DMC due to warpage which now shows as shipped on my Orders page. Problem is, I never got a tracking text or update in my USPS app. When I manually entered the number, it shows tentative delivery Tuesday, Jan. 9 in Santa Monica, CA.

I live in Michigan and all of my orders have always come here. Not encouraging for future interactions with VMP logistics.

I got to pick a replacement record (Alma Con Alma) for RUN DMC due to warpage which now shows as shipped on my Orders page. Problem is, I never got a tracking text or update in my USPS app. When I manually entered the number, it shows tentative delivery Tuesday, Jan. 9 in Santa Monica, CA.

I live in Michigan and all of my orders have always come here. Not encouraging for future interactions with VMP logistics.

This is starting to sound like it might be A Thing:

I’ve filed PayPal claims for my outstanding VMP orders. You don’t get to keep my money for months, not send out the products I ordered, not give proper updates, and be unresponsive to inquiries. I’m sorry, but this is not just a migration issue. They are having operations issues bigger than website migration.

Additionally, website migration doesn’t hinder their ability to have clear communication with their customers who they’ve essentially left in the dark. Nothing is stopping them from communicating. Being unresponsive is a deliberate action. So is turning off comments on Instagram and ignoring everyone on social media. They are aware and this is how they are choosing to deal with the situation. It doesn’t give me confidence in them as a company.

Just got an auto response that they are still working on answering my question.
The question was simply a response to their refund issues emails. They haven’t posted in the 72 hours they said they would.

maybe this will be resolved by March

Back