Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Fortunately if you're trying to grab Still Woozy, it isn't requiring a membership - probably an error - but whateva!

Yeah trying to resist my FOMO so didnt grab Woozy. And with 14 records Im supposed to receive this month still in shipping Limbo, there's no way I'm buying anything new until I start getting confirmations.

It's not a pre-order. It is already pressed. Still Woozy has been selling copies on tour.
I didn't realize that. However, I would be extra hesitant about the fact that it doesn't have a date attached to it. VMP normally says it will be in XYZ box. The no date gives me pause, especially with everything already going on.

Woozy sold out in under 30 minutes, or 10 minutes from when it was supposed to actually go live.

And it wasn't limited to members only lol
Haha, they had members only on the site, but if it wasn't actually exclusive that's pretty bad. One less reason to keep an active membership.

They probably didn't even have the full quantity available from the get-go, if they gave a bunch to Woozy to sell at shows.

Hope everyone who wanted a copy got one. I was pretty meh on it.

That's a feature of the Rising releases generally, isn't it? That half go to the artist to sell at shows?

I didn't realize that. However, I would be extra hesitant about the fact that it doesn't have a date attached to it. VMP normally says it will be in XYZ box. The no date gives me pause, especially with everything already going on.

Haha, they had members only on the site, but if it wasn't actually exclusive that's pretty bad. One less reason to keep an active membership.
At checkout it gave the option to have it included in your next ROTM box or have it shipped separately "right away". I'm not any more worried about it than I am getting other records I have ordered in the past haha.

Yeah but the forum shutting down didn't cause fulfillment issues. And while most customers aren't actively on reddit to get the news about the shitfest at VMP, it isn't like they won't notice that their "December" RotM doesn't arrive until January.

And the other thing about to bite VMP here is that this is the last month in many newer customers' 3-month sub that signed up early to get the QOTSA (Flaming Lips, Queens, Aretha). This is where playing up that FOMO could burn them. Because the January RotMs look like relative duds compared to the recent albums. And they're not going to announce their February thru April trifecta yet.

A lot of people won't be renewing.

That, plus all the folks who had issues with swaps, order pages showing wrong stuff, delays on past albums (people still waiting on November boxes). Refunds are definitely going out at a higher rate than ever. In all, it's a bad picture for the bottom line of a company that probably breaks even outside of their peak months where they get something like De La or QOTSA

I'm not sure if it's going to make any difference in your opinion if I tell you this, but none of this is new. There have been fulfillment issues all year. Shit like this was happening when the forum shut down and partially why it shut down. Weyes Blood, Nat Turner, Outkast, De La Soul Is Dead, etc. etc. etc. It's part of the model at this point. The whole reason that the reddit meltdown is fascinating to me is because certain things seem new to people only because it's hitting them the first time. It's like when Trump became president and a ton of people acted like racism was new, because they don't experience the same shit everyday already.

10% chance any of you actually get Woozy.

At this point, I am expecting a single non-member who was able to order by mistake getting all 500 copies.

You know that scene in the Tim Allen movie The Santa Clause, where the postal worker brings all the naughty/nice lists? Yeah, some dude is about to be super woozy with his house filled with albums.

But let's lower the bar. Wouldn't want to be so harsh on such a small company! I'm okay with anything they can deliver me. Even a pizza!

ACTUALLY!!!!?! I’ll happily swap a brand new/sealed copy of Still Woozy’s EP for used copy of any of the following VMP exclusives.

Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds
John Lee Hooker - Serves You Right To Suffer
Mick Jenkins - The Water(s)
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition

Back