Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

3 grams, from this article:

Which they claim is a bit high, but not 5g+ so it shouldn't harm your records.
What about when VMP tells you to put a penny on your headshell to get your copy of Demon Days to track right? 😂

LP-60 was my starter turntable as well - ran with it for about 2 years before upgrading to the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. No shame in that - we all start somewhere!

Like @Lee Newman my setup is very mid-fi, and probably going to stay that way for the foreseeable future. :)
Yeah I’m around 2 years with it now, will be on Christmas actually. Can’t complain about it too much, it’s really opened up my ears and gotten me into vinyl when I had zero interest before. My fiancé actually bought me the yellow ATLP60 with Bluetooth for Christmas thinking it was something I would get into and boy was she right lmao. I would have never asked for a record player but somehow she knew it was the perfect gift. Now, 2 years later and close to 200 records in it’s looking like it’s time to upgrade the deck! I’m pumped.

I like Alabama Shakes a bit, but not that much. They sound so American if you know what I mean. I don’t know how to describe it, but Alabama Shakes music sounds like The American Dream/Americans that respect their flag/a bit blue-collar and a bit white collar. I’m not trying to say their music sounds patriotic, but it just sounds so damn American

giphy.gif

I don't even know what this means! lol

As a Murican who has spent every Philadelphia Eagles football home game tailgating for over 20 years now , I can say the parking lot tailgate is pretty much broken up into 3 groups.
Late 40's and up plays Classic/Hard Rock AC/DC, Zepplin, Metallica, Guns N Roses
Early 30's - Late 40's Mostly 90's rap and Grunge- Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Tool, Wu Tang, Notorious BIG, Mobb Deep
Under 30's - Mostly Lil Pump and Post Malone with a few Meek Mill songs in.

All of these songs are playing at the same time as loud as the car speakers can get , or Ion tailgaters can get with random people screaming Go Birds, or doing the Eagles chant every 5 minutes or so.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!
6409BA6C-AF13-498B-819A-D931E33C03C6.gif
For the record, I am a Bears fan but any chance to reference “Always Sunny...” I am gonna take it.

Thanks for all of the feedback from those above! Been super helpful and informative. I just changed my savings goal to get the Fluance RT85! I’m already about 1/5th of the way there! How exciting, upgrades coming sooner than later.
I have just quickly flashed through here so my apologies if someone has already brought this up, you might wanna look for a quality used Japanese made deck. Vintage equipment can be had at a fraction of the cost and can come at quite a value. You just need to keep a look out on Offer Up or Craigslist (and it’s good to test it out beforehand to make sure it is all in working order). I currently have 2 very decent direct drive Technics one from the early 80’s the other from the late 70’s and both work well for me (obviously I had to clean them up a bit and change out the carts) all said and done I maybe have a little over $100 invested in both total. Plus the retro aesthetic is cool AF. Just another option to consider.

I have just quickly flashed through here so my apologies if someone has already brought this up, you might wanna look for a quality used Japanese made deck. Vintage equipment can be had at a fraction of the cost and can come at quite a value. You just need to keep a look out on Offer Up or Craigslist (and it’s good to test it out beforehand to make sure it is all in working order). I currently have 2 very decent direct drive Technics one from the early 80’s the other from the late 70’s and both work well for me (obviously I had to clean them up a bit and change out the carts) all said and done I maybe have a little over $100 invested in both total. Plus the retro aesthetic is cool AF. Just another option to consider.
I will second this. Esp. since you live in/near LA. I bet there are repair shops available, too. You might be surprised what you find.

Hey @GritNGlitter its the Rt84? @HiFi Guy may have a few other options in the price point but those are two most popular. I run the orbit with a grado black. The lp60 is one of them fisher price players with a plastic disc in comparison.
I have the RT85. @Matt M just picked it up too. The RT84 is a good tt, but once you're going to spend $450 on an RT84 you might as well spend the extra 50 bucks for the RT85.
If I remember the difference in the 84 and 85 is stylus???
It was, they’ve changed. Both now come with the 2M blue. The difference now is 84 metal platter, 85 acrylic. I’d rather the acrylic but they were right to give the blue across the range and have the platter as the upgrade.
I didn't know this. Cool.

I tried to upload my video here but got an error.

Yes, bounce the needle around warp, however side 2 lays flat with a weight and plays fine.

For anyone keeping score or having the same issue: I received a second copy and while not quite as warped as the first one on the first disc, the second disc is also warped. They offered a refund, credit or album from the store.

I asked for the Stones and mean time noticed Dawes was off the store.

Anyone else?

So I’ve been debating dropping the $600 on the project debut carbon esprit SB for awhile. Is the $500 Fluance RT85 a better option for the money?

I have the pro-ject, it’s a great table and I would put it very marginally ahead because of the carbon fibre tonearm.

That said. It’s not $100 better an when you add on the $50ish difference to the better 2m blue and the fact that the servo motor is better on the Fluance. I’d probably go with the Fluance if I was buying now and I lived in the US to be honest. In Europe that pro-ject is the one I tell my mates starting out to get.

Back