Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I’m pissed that How I Got Over is ROTM. If I would have known some time ago that it would eventually be ROTM I would have waited for this pressing (I wouldn’t have known but yeah..). 😩😭

Here's the weird thing, and Storf could just be talking out his ass, but he's claiming on Reddit that Roots is being done on new plates

Here's the weird thing, and Storf could just be talking out his ass, but he's claiming on Reddit that Roots is being done on new plates
That seems.... very unlikely. Unless Roots got new plates done for their re-issue campaign but in that case I wouldn't think VMP would be given the "scoop" over the standard or deluxe wide releases. Did he give any info on where or what new plates?

That seems.... very unlikely. Unless Roots got new plates done for their re-issue campaign but in that case I wouldn't think VMP would be given the "scoop" over the standard or deluxe wide releases. Did he give any info on where or what new plates?

Agreed, it's unlikely. Here's a screenshot of the only thing he said; nobody followed up to clarify (I don't have a Reddit account; just occasionally lurk for info)

roots.jpg

I'd assume he's telling the truth. According to Discogs former issues used STERLING and TML cut plates. This VMP issue according to the magazine article is a DMM cut from GZ in house.

Honestly I find it laughable that they act like this is some high quality solution, but it is unique vinyl mastering. I will say as much as I see it as a cheap way out, GZ does do a decent job with hip-hop. Their software seems to do well with preserving bass firmness. I'd take then over NRP for instance. But still something from a better mastering engineer like JNH at Sterling would be way better.

I'd assume he's telling the truth. According to Discogs former issues used STERLING and TML cut plates. This VMP issue according to the magazine article is a DMM cut from GZ in house.

Honestly I find it laughable that they act like this is some high quality solution, but it is unique vinyl mastering. I will say as much as I see it as a cheap way out, GZ does do a decent job with hip-hop. Their software seems to do well with preserving bass firmness. I'd take then over NRP for instance. But still something from a better mastering engineer like JNH at Sterling would be way better.
Good catch on that GZ DMM, I didn't notice that before. Well that's actually better than a straight repress, I mean it ain't classics but... it's better than nothing...

Good catch on that GZ DMM, I didn't notice that before. Well that's actually better than a straight repress, I mean it ain't classics but... it's better than nothing...
And I think the original pressing sounds really average. It doesn’t get any spins really because I was underwhelmed by the sound quality of it.

I’m very happy to hear this is on new plates and will likely sound much better!

Yeah mixed feelings. I would almost always prefer a dedicated lacquer, but the few RJ / Sterling cuts I have were very rolled off in the bass. I find cuts from RKS or JNH at Sterling today to be much better (some of their recent hip-hop cuts have been amazing IMO), but I wouldn't doubt a GZ cut lacquer could best a conservative RJ cut.

In unrelated news, I got my 4th (!!) copy of Southerplaylistic in yesterday. Finally got a second disc with no marks, but sadly the disc was slightly warped. I'll take that for silent playback. I know a lot of folks here have issues with VMP CS, but I'm very glad they worked with me to get a decent copy of this. Still completely stupid that all 4 copies had some flaw with the play surfaces and I had to Frankenstien a good copy.

I have been on the fence about that Mariah album. $35 is a ripoff for it, IMO, but $23 is more tolerable. I like Mariah but the sequencing on that LP just feels so 90s to me. Hate how the opening cut goes right into a slow-jam. Love some of the cuts, but something about it just hasn't aged as well as albums from, say TLC.

Last edited:
How good is the quality of Loretta's Fist City? Thinking about adding a track to swap for it and saving a whopping $1 haha.

Added Essentials to swap for Alex Cameron. Man, those 3 released tracks are something else. Super excited for this record.
I swapped for Fist City. Everything I have read has been positive. It’s a fairly short album but they pressed it at 45rpms. So I am on board. Plus it’s first time it’s been reissued in any format since 1968 and there are only 1000 albums of em (they’ll stick around for a while but once they are gone they’re gone).

Back