Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

This should be a fun exercise in remembering and putting to use some old and dusty job skills. Lol

I know enough about tort laws to know better than to come on here and start talking about things without having objectively verifiable receipts (even if I KNOW and/or witnessed them)…

BUT… I am just petty enough to give you my personal *opinion* that is wholly untethered from specific facts and therefore is non-actionable due to it being purely subjective, broad, and conclusory. 😎

My pure and personal opinion is that Storf is a manipulative, dishonest, whiney, misogynistic, ego-driven person who traffics in duplicity and feigned agreeability to overcompensate for his own feelings of inadequacy.

Naturally, this being my subjective opinion and all, these observations have been casually curated from the overall vibe he gives off and not at all related to actions he may or may not have taken within his first couple years at VMP and/or any sort of negative personal interactions he had with people who paid his company money for a product nor any actions or things he may or may not have said to actual fucking humans who were his peers.

Yup. Just my personal opinion.

View attachment 202432
you forgot ‘Hunter S Thompson wannabe hack’.

ok... most of these things i can understand (even if I don't believe in them completely.. probably because I am also very id focused and ego driven).. but I dunno where the misogyny thing comes from... he is openly for getting more woman into curation and has said the reason he doesn't do a lot of picks is because there is so much hate that happens when one is curated (we are not the only people in VMPs 20000 members... and there are probably some legit chuds getting on them for every decision)

Read between the lines on that last paragraph, it’s not due to the curation. Although I’d absolutely throw that at the whole company for curation. Plus when you decide who to ignore, you ignore the idiots, not the people calling for inclusivity.

As another father of an Otis, it has been slightly embarrassing to learn over these past 13 years just how many people have named their dogs Otis
It's not embarrassing that your kid shares a name with dogs, your kid having that name is what makes the dogs awesome.

I mean realistically VMP should be pressing what they think is best for their members, not what their internal staff wants for their personal collection. Nilsson doesn't do anything for me so I guess I'm bias in that regard, but the albums seem to have done well in the store so I guess it's a win/win for Storf.
Can’t it be both? That they press stuff they think their members will like AND have it be stuff that the curators like and want in their collections? Taste in curation is gonna be subjective no matter and won’t please all members. I don’t like a lot of what gets chosen as ROTMs (or don’t feel the need to buy it at the price they are charging). The Nilsson store exclusives at least have sold well. I think one Nilsson ROTM would have been enough and the others should have been done as limited store exclusives personally.

Can’t it be both? That they press stuff they think their members will like AND have it be stuff that the curators like and want in their collections? Taste in curation is gonna be subjective no matter and won’t please all members. I don’t like a lot of what gets chosen as ROTMs (or don’t feel the need to buy it at the price they are charging). The Nilsson store exclusives at least have sold well. I think one Nilsson ROTM would have been enough and the others should have been done as limited store exclusives personally.

I think you could have got away with the two Nilsson’s if you didn’t have his piss poor lost weekend album in which he destroyed his voice as the essential.

It can be both but there needs to be more self awareness. There are loads of out of print albums I’d like to see repressed but I’d like to hope in that position that I’d have the ability to distinguish between stuff I think other people want and completionist collection padding for myself and that my employer would hold me to account on slow sales for the later. If you really are going to do the later it should not be be in a subscription track, do a small number pressing for the store.

Last edited:

Way too many nilssons, i got the first 3 they did and that was good enough for me, nilsson burnout

Way too many nilssons, i got the first 3 they did and that was good enough for me, nilsson burnout
yea--just because they COULD do that many nilssons didn't mean they SHOULD.

I think you could have got away with the two Nilsson’s if you didn’t have his piss poor lost weekend album in which he destroyed his voice as the essential.

It can be both but there needs to be more self awareness. There are loads of out of print albums I’d like to see repressed but I’d like to hope in that position that I’d have the ability to distinguish between stuff I think other people want and completionist collection padding for myself and that my employer would hold me to account on slow sales for the later. If you really are going to do the later it should not be be in a subscription track, do a small number pressing for the store.

i don't doubt that it's becoming harder and harder (and more expensive) to license certain OOP albums especially stuff that is in high demand. Everybody wants a big piece of the pie and labels like Interscope now have their own reissue series so most of those titles are off limits. Hoping they can get some more variety with good albums that are harder to find. Classics has been largely solid still for me. Country is hit or miss (but I'm not a HUGE country fan). Don't buy the RHH stuff. Rock and essentials has been a mixed bag. I usually get 1 album a month which i'm fine with since i was on the deal with all the free records. not sure if i'll reup next year at all or just pop in and out.

I know they are going to hand off some curation duties to some other folks as well in the near future. the more voices in curation, the better IMO.

yea--just because they COULD do that many nilssons didn't mean they SHOULD.

i don't doubt that it's becoming harder and harder (and more expensive) to license certain OOP albums especially stuff that is in high demand. Everybody wants a big piece of the pie and labels like Interscope now have their own reissue series so most of those titles are off limits. Hoping they can get some more variety with good albums that are harder to find. Classics has been largely solid still for me. Country is hit or miss (but I'm not a HUGE country fan). Don't buy the RHH stuff. Rock and essentials has been a mixed bag. I usually get 1 album a month which i'm fine with since i was on the deal with all the free records. not sure if i'll reup next year at all or just pop in and out.

I know they are going to hand off some curation duties to some other folks as well in the near future. the more voices in curation, the better IMO.

Yeah I get that but they’ve been all over the place with curation for a long long long time. They were making odd decisions 5, 6, 7, 8 years ago before the likes of rhino and craft took it in house and mofi and fuck chad blew up to be much bigger operations than just catnip for the likes of ole slow vape.

Also let’s be honest. Pussy Cats wasn’t licensing. It was Storf thinking he was being edgy or interesting or cool when in reality he just dropped a turd into 20,000 subscribers mail boxes. He has been their biggest issue for years.

Yeah I get that but they’ve been all over the place with curation for a long long long time. They were making odd decisions 5, 6, 7, 8 years ago before the likes of rhino and craft took it in house and mofi and fuck chad blew up to be much bigger operations than just catnip for the likes of ole slow vape.

Also let’s be honest. Pussy Cats wasn’t licensing. It was Storf thinking he was being edgy or interesting or cool when in reality he just dropped a turd into 20,000 subscribers mail boxes.
i agree on pussy cats even though i like the album. i don't like it enough to pay $40 though hah. that seemed like a "this is a fun story" over "this is a great, essential album that everyone should have in their collection".

i agree on pussy cats even though i like the album. i don't like it enough to pay $40 though hah. that seemed like a "this is a fun story" over "this is a great, essential album that everyone should have in their collection".

Yeah but the music has to come first. Two drunk and high lads fucking about and one destroying his voice isn’t putting the music first. If the music doesn’t support the story then just don’t.

Yeah but the music has to come first. Two drunk and high lads fucking about and one destroying his voice isn’t putting the music first. If the music doesn’t support the story then just don’t.
definitely agree. the album seems like an interesting trivia fact vs an album that should be in their most pressed track. should have been a store exclusive if anything.

Back