Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I was thinking, "maybe I'll wait until they send some communication to respond to the situation" - then I immediately started laughing to myself because if there's anything we know, it's that they won't do that.

Still waiting for them to communicate that they're sending replacement disc 2s to everyone who got ODB...

The more time I spent there the more I have a feeling it's full of paid people (or maybe even employees) trying to build some hype around each and every release.
My guess was it’s mainly full of glee types trying to out glee each other. Like some competition around who could contrive excitement the most.

The internet is a truly fucked up place

The difference has been that since the pandemic wait times were forever and still are.

I'm sure to some extent it depends on the plant and the pressing amount, but wait times have come way down in the last 6 months to a year. You're no longer told that you have to place your order up to a year out just to get in the queue.

What interests me is that VMP continues to be one of the few, if only, "stores" to sell exclusives but not actually ship them until a month or two after the release date. Nobody else has that issue, be it Barnes & Noble, Urban Outfitters, or a relatively smaller outfit like Rough Trade.

As for all the other stuff, I'm definitely in the 'wait & see' camp, but it does read as if they piled on as many accusations as possible to strengthen their case, even if they can't prove it. The board has to know that unless those guys were personally siphoning off the $, or actually did find a way to "own" the plant personally but paying for it with VMP $, they aren't going to be able to repay it even they are found liable for every penny. I'm sure they've all been well-compensated but it's not as if they were C-suite execs in tech or finance, with stock options to cash in.

I don't know if the board wasn't paying attention *at all* over the last 2 years, or when asked for a firm update on when the plant would finally be pressing records that could be shipped to customers didn't like the answers they received & went full nuclear in response. The end result is still the giant capital investment being presently non-functional. That the board also brought Matt back, even on an interim basis, doesn't bode well. I know we're missing a lot of went on behind the scenes, but aside from the plant & general expansion to acquire more members (multiple tracks, somanyanthologies) and continued Peter Principle advancement of tastemakers like Storf, I don't see what Cam was doing materially different than Matt.... leaving aside the other lawsuit from AB. Cam should have been fired for that immediately even if the only facts that were true were her being fired 3 days after sending an email alleging ongoing discrimination/reminding him of his non-response to previous allegations.

I’ve got Nilsson Sings Newman and Shabaka and 7 mos of a country sub left. I’ll give it a minute to see what happens.

Can’t wait to see how they spin this as Saddle Creek’s fault.

Also, Storf’s thread or whatever on Discord is strangely silent especially given the give us a plant update chatter there a week ago. Have they shut some stuff down?
don't think any of those are being pressed at VMPressing so don't see why they would be affected much... i also am not shocked that with the litigation going on, VMP isn't gonna comment on most of this stuff on discord.

the only update I saw today was that anything that was going to be pressed at VMPressing is going to be pressed elsewhere now. those details will be communicated once those details are locked in. it's gonna be wild if after all this, Impulse ends up being pressed at GZ...

So so far is that three of us that canceled Impulse today?
the only update I saw today was that anything that was going to be pressed at VMPressing is going to be pressed elsewhere now. those details will be communicated once those details are locked in. it's gonna be wild if after all this, Impulse ends up being pressed at GZ...
Wow, I somehow missed this part, what a clusterfuck.

So now I feel like canceling was perhaps premature, and the right move all at once. I'm sad to not get anything at the end of the day, but maybe that $300-some Canadian dollars + $70 customs was still too steep for GZ pressed records.

And honestly, where does that put the ship date of Impulse now? December?

don't think any of those are being pressed at VMPressing so don't see why they would be affected much... i also am not shocked that with the litigation going on, VMP isn't gonna comment on most of this stuff on discord.

Yeah I mean I think this has gotta be the end of any VMP audiophile pressing dreams. I cannot imagine the pressing plant will be doing anything with VMP going forward. BACK TO GZ BOYS

Yeah this is not good news. No way Dead box and Impulse won't be even more seriously delayed now.

The more time I spent there the more I have a feeling it's full of paid people (or maybe even employees) trying to build some hype around each and every release.
Eh I don't think it's entirely true at all. definitely a lot of people who really like the service but also a fair share who don't hype everything and know not to buy stuff that's just a color variant if it's more money.

Yeah this is not good news. No way Dead box and Impulse won't be even more seriously delayed now.
I would imagine though that they’ve known this for a few months now at least, law suits like this take a long time to prepare. So I don’t think it is unrealistic to think that the current time frames might actually be correct.

... i also am not shocked that with the litigation going on, VMP isn't gonna comment on most of this stuff on discord.

If they have even a half-competent legal team, every employee has already received an email telling them to not comment on any aspect of the lawsuit, including the people involved

Funny enough, I remember back when we were telling Matt, repeatedly, that if he refused to regularly update the "members" on what was going on, then maybe they should hire a VP of Communications. The company could sure use one now.

Last edited:
I would imagine though that they’ve known this for a few months now at least, law suits like this take a long time to prepare. So I don’t think it is unrealistic to think that the current time frames might actually be correct.
But correct me if I'm wrong, the last impulse update was based on it still being pressed at the new plant right? From what I'm hearing - or trying to follow along with - is that this will now be moved, which means it has to fit in with the new pressing plant's schedule, no?

I didn’t necessarily expect a response, just that in a thread where everyone was talking about the plant less than 7 days ago there are like no posts.

So so far is that three of us that canceled Impulse today?

Wow, I somehow missed this part, what a clusterfuck.

So now I feel like canceling was perhaps premature, and the right move all at once. I'm sad to not get anything at the end of the day, but maybe that $300-some Canadian dollars + $70 customs was still too steep for GZ pressed records.

And honestly, where does that put the ship date of Impulse now? December?
To be clear--not saying it is definitely being pressed at GZ. It may end up being RTI or something. I'm on the fence about cancelling it. I think I got 40% off and all with store credit.

Yeah I mean I think this has gotta be the end of any VMP audiophile pressing dreams. I cannot imagine the pressing plant will be doing anything with VMP going forward. BACK TO GZ BOYS
I doubt this lawsuit gets settled anytime soon, but I could imagine that one possible settlement could be VMP taking over the plant....

Here's a good writeup a buddy of mine who is a lawyer did based on the complaint that was actually filed:

lots of strange stuff in there. How did VMP's board not realize any of this prior to now?

To be clear--not saying it is definitely being pressed at GZ. It may end up being RTI or something. I'm on the fence about cancelling it. I think I got 40% off and all with store credit.

I doubt this lawsuit gets settled anytime soon, but I could imagine that one possible settlement could be VMP taking over the plant....

Here's a good writeup a buddy of mine who is a lawyer did based on the complaint that was actually filed:

lots of strange stuff in there. How did VMP's board not realize any of this prior to now?
Yeah I mean reading over his summary it really looks like the board made a lot of dumb decisions they regret and are trying to sue their way out of it and or get the plant. But they signed off on a lot of it from what's written, claiming it was a conflict of interest now, when they already approved it makes zero sense. It's clearly a conflict of interest that Cam was voting but it was just as clear then, and they allowed it. Honestly I bet this goes no where.

Yeah I mean reading over his summary it really looks like the board made a lot of dumb decisions they regret and are trying to sue their way out of it and or get the plant. But they signed off on a lot of it from what's written, claiming it was a conflict of interest now, when they already approved it makes zero sense. It's clearly a conflict of interest that Cam was voting but it was just as clear then, and they allowed it. Honestly I bet this goes no where.
the weird one is claiming Cam and co snuck language into the resolution to open the plant... "Allegation is that Defendants slipped into the Resolution language that absolved them of potential past misconduct." how did VMP's lawyer miss that? if i read something like that in some paperwork, it would be a huge red flag to me hah. "we definitely didnt do anything weird in the past 5 months.....but if we diiiiiiid, let's call it even!".

I could see the suit going nowhere, but the harm to VMP over this public dispute and the fact that any relationship with the plant is effectively over unless they manage to get the plant in compensation (and I wouldn't put it past a VC to try to pull a move like that) seems like a big gamble to make a move like this. It reeks of dumb if they're unaware of the potential fallout with their customers that this can have by airing the lack of trust we should have in the company. Especially if they're claiming that it was known when they were marketing records pressed at the plant that they knew they couldn't deliver. That's not a good look for either side, but it wouldn't hurt these three since they're already out at VMP. Why VMP wouldn't, after this much money/time, try to repair/solve this quietly behind the scenes at the cost of losing so much good faith from their customers makes me think the problem is much bigger than we can get from this filling.

so basically the plant is on hiatus until this lawsuit is done... if they were peddling all their money into this plant that was overspending that would explain why record got so expensive.. at least VMP still makes some quality records outside of their Gz limitation

I could see the suit going nowhere, but the harm to VMP over this public dispute and the fact that any relationship with the plant is effectively over unless they manage to get the plant in compensation (and I wouldn't put it past a VC to try to pull a move like that) seems like a big gamble to make a move like this. It reeks of dumb if they're unaware of the potential fallout with their customers that this can have by airing the lack of trust we should have in the company. Especially if they're claiming that it was known when they were marketing records pressed at the plant that they knew they couldn't deliver. That's not a good look for either side, but it wouldn't hurt these three since they're already out at VMP. Why VMP wouldn't, after this much money/time, try to repair/solve this quietly behind the scenes at the cost of losing so much good faith from their customers makes me think the problem is much bigger than we can get from this filling.
I think the vast majority of VMP subscribers could care less about any of this as long as they get their coloured vinyl every month, wherever it's pressed. So I don't think they'll lose much there, however in terms of whether this signals actual money problems at VMP that could be an issue, yeah I can certainly see that being the case.

Back