Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Sundazed did a mono reissue that included "Daddy's Song" back in 2014 and again in 2018. Probably not AAA but it was cut by Kevin Gray. It's starting to tick up in price (like, comparable to today's VMP reissue) but it might be found for cheaper if you look around.
I have this one it sounds good to me.

Stereo vs mono. Surprisingly around the same price as the VMP if you're a member.

I think the Sundazed might be the only mono with Daddy's Song on it.

I don’t think I’d be tempted to double dip though. I was pretty impressed by the SC stereo and I don’t remember any of the usual early stereo mix issues with it.

I don’t think I’d be tempted to double dip though. I was pretty impressed by the SC stereo and I don’t remember any of the usual early stereo mix issues with it.
Yeah, I’m gonna stick with the stereo. I love the album, but only would’ve jumped if it had the missing track. My biggest gripe with it is that it’s a verrrrry short album. Not a single song hits 3 minutes.

0*QYkoPob4X3UPAS-d.

“This pressing is absolutely amazing! Sure there’s a digital step but I don’t mind, it’s all about the music! Being pressed at 45RPM really opens it up giving it a lovely soundstage and mids.“

giphy.gif

“Check out the bass on Jump Into The Fire while I get us another beer! It will blow your mind!”

hk9ahtaza5p91.gif

“Turns out I’m out of beer! Would you like a Capri-Sun instead! I got Orange and Fruit Punch!”
Wait, this is the first time I'm realized we're all collecting closer to being Patrick Bateman than most people. Should we be worried? @Mather s murder dungeon suddenly seems so much more sinister.

I cant tell if you used "$1899 is a months rent" in this context as that being a high rent or a low rent. Maybe I'm just so desensitzed to NYC rent that my brain just saw that as "I cant believe people can live somewhere for so little!"
Oh, it's completely low but apparently rent this low does exist in some cities.

If we're talking about USD though this is about the average price in Toronto. I know what you're saying, that's pretty sick, right?

Only if you completely ignore the fact that we get paid so much less for the same jobs (source: I work in tech).

Should I pack up and take my talents south of the border? I could, but there is so many things that make it a scary proposition. Like racism, Trump, or leaving the house without full body armor.

Oh, it's completely low but apparently rent this low does exist in some cities.

If we're talking about USD though this is about the average price in Toronto. I know what you're saying, that's pretty sick, right?

Only if you completely ignore the fact that we get paid so much less for the same jobs (source: I work in tech).

Should I pack up and take my talents south of the border? I could, but there is so many things that make it a scary proposition. Like racism, Trump, or leaving the house without full body armor.

Heck, I live in a very non major US city, and I think you'd be lucky to find a 1 bedroom apartment for less than that.

But im also currently sitting in an air bnb in middle of nowhere Washington state where it's absolutely gorgeous but I but you could buy a house for real cheap. I'm not sure what you'd do for work if you're not a lumberjack exactly, but none of these houses are newer than 1960.

So it looks like the song was left off of Aerial Ballet because it wouldn't have been all-AAA otherwise. AAA is great and should be strived for when possible but this is the second time in recent months VMP shot themselves in the foot by offering an incomplete version of the album just to adhere to the AAA branding (the other being Monk's Music in Classics).

They've done mixed sourcing before when all-AAA isn't possible (Sublime, Ramsey Lewis in the Cadet box set come to mind) and they did an incredible pressing of Erroll Garner's Magician using plangent. I don't know why they choose to limit themselves in these other instances.

I will give VMP some credit in transparency, at least, in explaining their sourcing. Most places offer very minimal sourcing info, if they offer it at all.

So it looks like the song was left off of Aerial Ballet because it wouldn't have been all-AAA otherwise. AAA is great and should be strived for when possible but this is the second time in recent months VMP shot themselves in the foot by offering an incomplete version of the album just to adhere to the AAA branding (the other being Monk's Music in Classics).

They've done mixed sourcing before when all-AAA isn't possible (Sublime, Ramsey Lewis in the Cadet box set come to mind) and they did an incredible pressing of Erroll Garner's Magician using plangent. I don't know why they choose to limit themselves in these other instances.

I will give VMP some credit in transparency, at least, in explaining their sourcing. Most places offer very minimal sourcing info, if they offer it at all.
I don’t know the full story, but that song didn’t make it on a lot of early releases, too. I’m only guessing, but Nilsson’s dad left him when he was 3 and the song is about him leaving. The lyrics are quite depressing. I imagine the omission of it may be related to that, but could be wrong.

Not sure what the deal with the tapes is, but there are versions from 1968 that have and don’t have “Daddy’s Song.”

I'll play devil's advocate here and state that if part of their mission is to present the albums as historically accurate, then there is no problem with the Monk and AAA isn't quite the issue there. There is no stereo recording of Crepuscule With Nellie from those sessions. All additions of it later were either fake stereo or mono tacked onto the stereo album.

I'll play devil's advocate here and state that if part of their mission is to present the albums as historically accurate, then there is no problem with the Monk and AAA isn't quite the issue there. There is no stereo recording of Crepuscule With Nellie from those sessions. All additions of it later were either fake stereo or mono tacked onto the stereo album.
For me, then it's a case where they should've gone with the mono version of the album.

My Honky Chateau shipment has been "en route to distribution centre" for 11 days. But I did get a shipment last month and it still went through TForce, so I'm not seeing any changes yet.
Did you get a TForce tracking yet? I just checked mine and it's there finally so looks like I won't get hit with duties this time around.

My ROTM shipment was insanely quick this month, the label was created on Tuesday and it's out for delivery today. Maybe they are trying to avoid melted records and the resulting returns.

Back