Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

It’s not brexit it’s VAT. You’re basically avoiding paying the 20% VAT in the UK if it slips through customs which VMP packages usually do for whatever reason. It’s not a fair fight because your local has no choice but to charge VAT.

What will be interesting is now that the below £20 freebie has gone and the customs departments at the postal providers have got more aggressive will VMP parcels soon attract VAT too. It’d make it a very hard sell then.
Yeah, I know. I was just making a 'lol Brexit/Boris Johnson looks like a stuffed baboon brought to life" joke.

Not to get too far down the non-humourous politics rabbit hole, but aren't they all in their own special way? Like just a collection of complete duds.

Yeah, fair. But his flowing hair, faux feminism and lip service to reconciliation seem to fool people into thinking he's something different while actually being just as bad or worse than the rest. I take particular umbrage to that.

My bad. Sorry for derailing the thread by bringing up Canadian politics. Back on topic...

I just received the VMP Bill Withers - Just As I Am exclusive...which I ordered in May. (I actually meant to cancel and find a Speakers Corner version, but I kinda forgot.) After a first spin, it's sounds very good; almost a little too clean on the mastering to my ears, but that just might be how it was originally recorded. And obviously the music itself is a 10/10. Oddly the VMP page for it is now a 404, but the 'cogs entry has most all the info except where it was pressed. Anyone remember? (Despite not having any crackle or pops, I'm going to assume GZ.)

Also received MMW - Uninvisible a couple weeks back. That sounds freaking awesome. For the price ($50?!), it would've been nice to have been a gatefold, instead of a wide-pocket, but musically and sonically it's home run. Would love to hear their Gramavision stuff on vinyl at some point.

My bad. Sorry for derailing the thread by bringing up Canadian politics. Back on topic...

I just received the VMP Bill Withers - Just As I Am exclusive...which I ordered in May. (I actually meant to cancel and find a Speakers Corner version, but I kinda forgot.) After a first spin, it's sounds very good; almost a little too clean on the mastering to my ears, but that just might be how it was originally recorded. And obviously the music itself is a 10/10. Oddly the VMP page for it is now a 404, but the 'cogs entry has most all the info except where it was pressed. Anyone remember? (Despite not having any crackle or pops, I'm going to assume GZ.)

Also received MMW - Uninvisible a couple weeks back. That sounds freaking awesome. For the price ($50?!), it would've been nice to have been a gatefold, instead of a wide-pocket, but musically and sonically it's home run. Would love to hear their Gramavision stuff on vinyl at some point.

I'm mostly certain I recall Just As I Am being pressed at GZ and that being the reason I didn't pick it up. Glad to hear it sounds good!

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it was GZ. I also apparently forgot to cancel this and didn't realize it until it arrived last week-ish.

international folks--check your charges. apparently VMP just started adding VAT on subscriptions/add-ons to certain countries without telling anybody...

edit: might be EU folks only?

Last edited:
international folks--check your charges. apparently VMP just started adding VAT on subscriptions/add-ons to certain countries without telling anybody...

edit: might be EU folks only?

There’s a new EU directive that means that all parcels have to be electronically declared to customs before shipment. They’ve been rejecting parcels, like the old VMP style ones, that don’t have prior electronic declarations and returning them to sender. Nothing has got past customs since that was implemented on 1st July, I’ve been battered and am no longer able to justify US/UK orders.

VMP had 2 choices. Either register in the EU for VAT so they can pre charge or declare the correct amount so that customs/VAT could be added on arrival. They’ve actually picked the better option for us as customers here because by paying up front we won’t be subject to any extra customs import fees for high value packages or the dreaded carrier admin fee.

It’s not nice to have that extra charge and it makes them insanely expensive now but they had a choice and they picked the one of the two options that’s easiest for customers.

So as the U.K. is not in the EU...do we avoid this customs chargey thing

Well the UK also got rid of the below £20 exemption and requires a digital customs declaration since the same day (1st July). However whether Royal Mail are as on top of it and are rejecting parcels like the Euro postal services is another matter. If it isn’t yet it will eventually either when the postal providers get their act together or VMP registers for UK VAT and starts charging. VMP charging direct is actually the cheaper option in that scenario.

Well the UK also got rid of the below £20 exemption and requires a digital customs declaration since the same day (1st July). However whether Royal Mail are as on top of it and are rejecting parcels like the Euro postal services is another matter. If it isn’t yet it will eventually either when the postal providers get their act together or VMP registers for UK VAT and starts charging. VMP charging direct is actually the cheaper option in that scenario.

Bugger ......just when I had a crumb of comfort ......

Back