Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Here are the ROTM’s I’ll be getting over the next three months! Overall, I’m very happy with the selections, especially the Essentials and Classics picks!

April ROTM’s:
• M.I.A. - Kala
• Charlie Musselwhite - Tennessee Woman
• Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie

May ROTM’s
• DARKSIDE - Psychic
• King Curtis - Live At Fillmore West
• Young Thug - So Much Fun

June ROTM’s
• The Doors - The Doors
• Dorothy Ashby - The Rubáiyát of Dorothy Ashby

So that means I’m down for 3/3 of the releases for Essentials and Classics but only 1/3 for the Rap & Hip-Hop and Country ROTM’s!

How’s everyone else’s VMP ROTM boxes looking over the next three months!?

Got none of the picks this month across any tracks, tried talking myself into Shotgun Willie but country voices with the “twang” are a really hard sell for me lmfao. As hard as I tried I ultimately passed.

Decided to grab the one JLH that I’m missing which is “That’s My Story”. I’m grabbing Darkside and King Curtis for May, and probably just Dorothy Ashby for June. Just ordered the AP Doors S/T so I’m hoping to pass on VMPs press, really trying not to become a collector that has multiple variants of different pressings. Working to only utilize VMP for records that truly move me and work on picking up albums that make my fiancé and I happy with the extra cash as opposed to Shotgun Willie for the fomo.

This is my story, and I’m a vinyl addict.

Here are the ROTM’s I’ll be getting over the next three months! Overall, I’m very happy with the selections, especially the Essentials and Classics picks!

April ROTM’s:
• M.I.A. - Kala
• Charlie Musselwhite - Tennessee Woman
• Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie

May ROTM’s
• DARKSIDE - Psychic
• King Curtis - Live At Fillmore West
• Young Thug - So Much Fun

June ROTM’s
• The Doors - The Doors
• Dorothy Ashby - The Rubáiyát of Dorothy Ashby

So that means I’m down for 3/3 of the releases for Essentials and Classics but only 1/3 for the Rap & Hip-Hop and Country ROTM’s!

How’s everyone else’s VMP ROTM boxes looking over the next three months!?

I have my main track picked for each month, but I'm still very undecided on what get as an add-on, if I get any add-ons at all.

April: Shotgun Willie. I *might* get Freddie Gibbs down the road as a swap or if it's in a sale. But I'm purposely keeping light in case if there ends up being a VMP surprise reissue I want.

May: King Curtis and *maybe* Darkside. Gotta listen to it some more and decide if it's a keeper. Like Gibbs, it might be something to keep in my back pocket as a swaption if there's a particularly dismal month for selections.

June: Dorothy Ashby. The Doors and Nappy Roots both fall in the maybe pile. It is very odd for me to collect records and not have any copy at all of The Doors! It's kind of like having a collection that's missing Sgt. Pepper or Whipped Cream and Other Delights. Even if it's a beat-up old copy, y'know.

I have my main track picked for each month, but I'm still very undecided on what get as an add-on, if I get any add-ons at all.

April: Shotgun Willie. I *might* get Freddie Gibbs down the road as a swap or if it's in a sale. But I'm purposely keeping light in case if there ends up being a VMP surprise reissue I want.

May: King Curtis and *maybe* Darkside. Gotta listen to it some more and decide if it's a keeper. Like Gibbs, it might be something to keep in my back pocket as a swaption if there's a particularly dismal month for selections.

June: Dorothy Ashby. The Doors and Nappy Roots both fall in the maybe pile. It is very odd for me to collect records and not have any copy at all of The Doors! It's kind of like having a collection that's missing Sgt. Pepper or Whipped Cream and Other Delights. Even if it's a beat-up old copy, y'know.

If anyone is interested in a wonderful non-VMP album that is still available, check out the Dorothy Ashby and Frank Wess LP "In A Minor Groove." Flute/harp quartet. One of my favorite discoveries of the last 5 years.

Got none of the picks this month across any tracks, tried talking myself into Shotgun Willie but country voices with the “twang” are a really hard sell for me lmfao. As hard as I tried I ultimately passed.

Decided to grab the one JLH that I’m missing which is “That’s My Story”. I’m grabbing Darkside and King Curtis for May, and probably just Dorothy Ashby for June. Just ordered the AP Doors S/T so I’m hoping to pass on VMPs press, really trying not to become a collector that has multiple variants of different pressings. Working to only utilize VMP for records that truly move me and work on picking up albums that make my fiancé and I happy with the extra cash as opposed to Shotgun Willie for the fomo.

This is my story, and I’m a vinyl addict.
Same here. Skipped out for the 2nd month in a row. I'll grab the Doors as they're a fave band and the Rhino mono is absolute dog shit (although I'm expecting more of the same to be honest) but other than Darkside for another member it's all a bit sparse. Possibly King Curtis as I enjoyed the stream... But for the amount I'd play it the stream may actually be enough for me.

Tough times when you can't even talk yourself into funky coloured vinyl with foil and shit on the jackets

As with all VMP rules, it is made to be broken, but in the past they've been explicit that they will only repress the ROTMs (as opposed to exclusives). Maybe a licensing issue?

wasn't Buhloone Mindstate a ROTM? It would be great if they did that.

Reactions: mgp
I didn't get an email but I noticed in my orders the estimate for Immanuel Wilkins' Omega went from mid-May to mid-June.

That actually doesn't affect me personally as I had bought it at the same time as Yusef Lateef's Before Dawn, which was (and still is) estimated for a mid-June release. Just wanted to point it out.

I didn't get an email but I noticed in my orders the estimate for Immanuel Wilkins' Omega went from mid-May to mid-June.

That actually doesn't affect me personally as I had bought it at the same time as Yusef Lateef's Before Dawn, which was (and still is) estimated for a mid-June release. Just wanted to point it out.

Oh dang! Nice catch.

Quite frankly this just makes me more excited for June. I have both of those on the way plus Sun Ra and the Dorothy Ashby ROTM. Hot fun in the summertime!

If anyone is interested in a wonderful non-VMP album that is still available, check out the Dorothy Ashby and Frank Wess LP "In A Minor Groove." Flute/harp quartet. One of my favorite discoveries of the last 5 years.
Gonna just second this. Lucas was my secret santa this past year and sent me "In A Minor Groove" and it has found itself to my turntable an obnoxious amount of times since x-mas. Thanks for getting me introduced to Dorothy Ashby bud, now I'm ITCHING for this classics release. 🎅

Regarding M.I.A., I'm also in the group that prefers Arular over Kala. It's the sole album of hers I own and while I don't spin it regularly, it's a great one to listen to when I'm in the right mood.

Given the clues I figured they might go for Kala, but somehow it didn't occur to me that they might give Arular the exclusive treatment. Since it was gone so fast, I had no chance of buying it. Not sure though if I would've joined VMP again just to buy it - it's a cool album, but it's not an essential album to me. And Kala... well I hardly ever listen to that one honestly. But the sleeve with the foil does look nice.

Im interested in rejoining this month to secure my spot in the hip hop track for the Young Thug next month, but don’t currently see anything in the main tracks I’m interested for.

Question: is it possible to swap your first month of resubbing for credit or any another item on the swap list? I’m pretty well versed in swaps, just never really dealt with the whole resubbing since I never let my subscription lapse till I called it quits.

Im interested in rejoining this month to secure my spot in the hip hop track for the Young Thug next month, but don’t currently see anything in the main tracks I’m interested for.

Question: is it possible to swap your first month of resubbing for credit or any another item on the swap list? I’m pretty well versed in swaps, just never really dealt with the whole resubbing since I never let my subscription lapse till I called it quits.
Yep! You can resub and immediately hit swaps if you’d like!

I may have to give this another listen later as I'm skipping through tracks now. But I can't shake the feeling that the first half to two thirds of the album feels "samey". Like the same melody in the background with the sax and quiet strings....it seems to go on forever. I noticed after awhile that several tracks had actually passed when I thought it was one.

EDIT: I think this is something that needs to be listened to in a quiet room at full volume with 100% of your attention, not just "skipping through tracks while working to see if I like it".

EDIT 2: Yeah, definitely not the way to be played. It's pretty damn good. Fantastic even. Don't sleep on this one.

Last edited:
Back