Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Glad folks are excited about MIA. Don't personally get it outside of Paper Planes. Wallet could use a smaller month anyways.
I love her first LP Sunshowers” “Galang” and Bucky Done Gun” are all fantastic singles. I would probably pay $32.99 if they had Arular at my local but I am not gonna pay $45 to VMP for a copy.

Arular is such a fun album, and it was on constant repeat when it came out, I would definitely pay $40 Canadian for it, but we're not talking about Canadian money now.

Kala I tried to listen to last night when the wife asked "Why do you want this?" and after three songs I was like "You're right...WHY do I need this?"

I think my problem is Arular was such a fun unique album when it came out I instantly grew attached to it, and trying anything new by M.I.A. (even if it's just an old album I hadn't heard) makes me realize it's kind of grating after awhile. I'm nostalgic towards Arular but completely indifferent to Kala.

I think my problem is Arular was such a fun unique album when it came out I instantly grew attached to it, and trying anything new by M.I.A. (even if it's just an old album I hadn't heard) makes me realize it's kind of grating after awhile. I'm nostalgic towards Arular but completely indifferent to Kala.
I think maybe I'm on the same wavelength. I have been wishing for VMP to release something by M.I.A for yearssss and now they are all here its kind of overwhelming. Arular is definitely my favourite album by here, its so energetic and, as you say, fun!

This is the correct take. I liked “Paper Planes” and without It we also wouldn’t have “Swagger Like Us” which is dope AF too but I was pretty Lukewarm on the album as a whole.

Weekly scenario over here 😂
Tell me about it...I have my local record store's latest releases on constant refresh and I'm like clockwork on VMP at 12 every Wednesday. My vinyl shopping habits are becoming unhealthy to my back account and I'm actually proud of the restraint I've shown today. Sorting my discogs collection by "Date added" is a depressing look at a vinyl addict.

Quick "I'm old" nostalgia anecdote on MIA. I saw her on tour for Kala in 2008 at the U of Calgary. It was the most fun / shit show of a concert I may have ever been to. Fans were on stage with her immediately. Security tried to stop the show, but she just went with it. By the end of the night the stage was packed with fans. Sound was abysmal at MacEwan Hall, but something about dancing and sweating with 1000 folks that just can't be beat. (I miss concerts.)

That said, I'll stick with my Kala CD, and my eMusic MP3s for Arular and Maya.

Quick "I'm old" nostalgia anecdote on MIA. I saw her on tour for Kala in 2008 at the U of Calgary. It was the most fun / shit show of a concert I may have ever been to. Fans were on stage with her immediately. Security tried to stop the show, but she just went with it. By the end of the night the stage was packed with fans. Sound was abysmal at MacEwan Hall, but something about dancing and sweating with 1000 folks that just can't be beat. (I miss concerts.)

eMusic is a blast from the past. Used to be crazy value to join and get my mp3s from.

Holy shit, you just reminded me that I have a whole folder of eMusic downloads on a hard drive somewhere that I should dig out and sort. Talk about nostalgia 😂

I have a copy of Kala, got it when it came out, rarely ever pull it out but when I do I enjoy it... Well most of it, I don't think I make it all the way through, no need to "upgrade" that one! Also, I remember 10 Dollar being a jam but that's all I remember from the first record, don't think I've listened to any of her other ones... I don't think I'm missing much...

Those MIA exclusives are beautiful. I have them both so I'm happy theyre $40 because I would have been tempted to grab them otherwise.

Wish they put out one of Matangi, that's her only one Im missing

Arular is such a fun album, and it was on constant repeat when it came out, I would definitely pay $40 Canadian for it, but we're not talking about Canadian money now.

Kala I tried to listen to last night when the wife asked "Why do you want this?" and after three songs I was like "You're right...WHY do I need this?"
I put it on a few weeks ago, my fiance looked me straight in the face and said "Don't you dare". Safe to say I'm skipping on MIA this month :ROFLMAO:

Back