Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Do we even need reviewers anymore? It's not like they usually get the release earlier than the fans anymore. And it doesn't cost the general listener anything to check out everything they want ... so .... why do we need music reviewers at all anymore?
Music criticism can still be informative and entertaining and while it is easy to listen and evaluate music yourself it’s certainly much harder to focus in a world where everything is available all the time everywhere all at once. I personally appreciate a good recommendation and that is what good music or any other criticism provides. It can direct others (who seek it out) where to direct their gaze.

Last edited:
I'd argue that music is such a visceral thing that if you need to read up on why you should like it or respect it, you've already ruined the music.
I agree, to some extent at least. I'm not sure if you think this is what I was saying or not, but it isn't what I meant.

I will say, some of my favorite music is music I didn't like at first, but hearing other people (certainly not limited to reviewers) talking about it made me want to give it more chances. I don't think hearing what those people said changed my mind, it was just that I became more acclimated to something I wasn't used to by giving it multiple chances. There's plenty of things that I tried that with that I have accepted I'll never like, but I'm glad I didn't live in a vacuum with only my first impression on the ones that I flipped on.

To each their own. I'd rather venture out on my own and discover cool shit than have what I consume curated by other people. My time is worth that.
You ultimately have to make choices, you can’t listen to everything. At a certain point you have to cull your options down. If you have a large swath of trusted critics who are hopefully a bit knowledgeable and passionate about music than your average person my guess is you will have more success at finding new and interesting music that you enjoy than if you were to just to dig through things by yourself.

Ultimately I think everyone need to make a decision on the whether they enjoy art themselves. Group think is never a good thing but if you are humble enough to accept others opinions while still being able to maintain your independence. Criticism can be a useful tool.

To each their own. I'd rather venture out on my own and discover cool shit than have what I consume curated by other people. My time is worth that.
I like to do that as well, but sometimes it's just fun or at least interesting to see what someone else has to say about it, whether they like it more or less than you.

I'd be surprised if someone like Lester Bangs would give a shit if anyone who read his work considered him a taste-maker or not and I damn sure don't agree with many of his opinions but they sure are great fun to read.

if someone like Lester Bangs would give a shit if anyone who read his work considered him a taste-maker or not and I damn sure don't agree with many of his opinions but they sure are great fun to read.
☝️This. I love me some feisty Lester Bangs criticism. I might have to pull the old copy of Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung off the bookshelf tonight and spin some VU.

But venturing out can be reading articles and getting pointed fo stuff you otherwise might have overlooked. that does not necessary take a professional music critic, but could also be someone from the local record store or in some forum ( Just got an email that the SOAK rexord is waiting at my local for pickup @Teeeee )

But venturing out can be reading articles and getting pointed fo stuff you otherwise might have overlooked. that does not necessary take a professional music critic, but could also be someone from the local record store or in some forum ( Just got an email that the SOAK rexord is waiting at my local for pickup @Teeeee )

And I've learned 1000x more from conversations on forums, at local record stores and with other record nerds than I have from any critic. So I don't need to pay attention to any. Reading articles is not the same as reading/watching criticism.

Got my VMP package in today (Jamila Woods, Mort Garson, Alice Coltrane), and Plantasia ends up being my first ever warped record from them. Sigh...

Had incredible luck of 6 straight months to start my membership with no warps, until July. At least I got a refund for the warped LP. Haven't checked Woods or Coltrane yet, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

And I've learned 1000x more from conversations on forums, at local record stores and with other record nerds than I have from any critic. So I don't need to pay attention to any. Reading articles is not the same as reading/watching criticism.

I for instance liked a critic that haad a weekly column in a german (non-music) magazine and discovered a bunch of really great albums through him that would have otherwise flown under my radar.

Got my VMP package in today (Jamila Woods, Mort Garson, Alice Coltrane), and Plantasia ends up being my first ever warped record from them. Sigh...

Had incredible luck of 6 straight months to start my membership with no warps, until July. At least I got a refund for the warped LP. Haven't checked Woods or Coltrane yet, but I'm trying to be optimistic.
They just straight refunded you for it? Did you have to send them a pic with a nickel?

Pitchfork from around 2007-2012 we're my favorite years of the site. I was blogging regularly back then and going to college discovering music on my own. Those old Pitchfork articles about the rise of Dubstep and Chillwave/Witchouse were pretty cool.

They just straight refunded you for it? Did you have to send them a pic with a nickel?

Yep. Just needed to confirm the type of refund (original payment method or store credit). :(

LOL I was able to fit not one, not two, but THREE 5¢ pieces underneath! Wasn't intending on playing this frisbee upon seeing the warp, so it wasn't a problem for me. I was aware others were being asked to by CS prior to performing the test.

EDIT: more words

1563044097059-1408758653.jpg

I'd argue that music is such a visceral thing that if you need to read up on why you should like it or respect it, you've already ruined the music.
Sorry I don’t understand this take at all. I love music criticism whether I agree with the take or not. It allows me to view music through a different perspective and maybe hear something new. Do what you please, but I don’t see many cons in 1. Reading 2. Listening to others opinions.

Based on posting the same thing and seeing responses a couple pages back, it seem that those of us who still have swaps open are waiting on Weyes Blood repress before they ship our boxes. If you aren't waiting on Weyes Blood, and Swaps are still open, then you should prob contact customer service.

Well, I'm waiting for Weyes Blood, my swap option was open until Thursday night and I just received an email that my box shipped without Weyes Blood. That order still shows pending.

Meanwhile, I hear the Hatchie crowd is getting a refund and a record.

Just got this reply regarding Weyes Blood:

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for reaching out! Yes, the Weyes Blood will be shipped out separately. We were hoping to have them in time for the July shipment but unfortunately that didn't work out. They are currently in transit to our facility and should arrive by the end of the day Tuesday. At that point, we will begin shipping them out to customers. I sincerely apologize for the delay in all of this and really appreciate how patient and understanding everyone has been.

If you have any other questions in the meantime, don't hesitate to reach out!
Tyler

Just got this reply regarding Weyes Blood:

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for reaching out! Yes, the Weyes Blood will be shipped out separately. We were hoping to have them in time for the July shipment but unfortunately that didn't work out. They are currently in transit to our facility and should arrive by the end of the day Tuesday. At that point, we will begin shipping them out to customers. I sincerely apologize for the delay in all of this and really appreciate how patient and understanding everyone has been.

If you have any other questions in the meantime, don't hesitate to reach out!
Tyler
I didn’t order Hatchie or Weyes Blood so I don’t necessarily have a dog in this fight but has anyone attempted to hard press them on the Weyes Blood release to see if they can get a refund AND the album from them in a similar fashion to the way they are handling the Hatchie snafu? It seems like a reasonable ask and I know the CS have been sticklers lately. This seem like you might have a winning argument.especially if you make a big enough stink. I mean this the Weyes Blood record came out like 4 months ago and many won’t have it until even later still. Seems like a reasonable request to me.

Back