Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Damn, AAA đź‘€. These might get me.
I have a feeling these VMP exclusives were mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio too because the last John Lee Hooker reissue that was from Craft - Country Blues of John Lee Hooker - was AAA, 180g and mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio!

For what it's worth these are on Craft and will almost certainly get a wide release black reissue to accompany these at a lower price. Although I will say that at least in Canada, Craft isn't super cheaply priced so these might not be THAT far off from the black MSRP but I'm guessing these are at least 5-7 dollars more.

I have a feeling these VMP exclusives were mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio too because the last John Lee Hooker reissue that was from Craft - Country Blues of John Lee Hooker - was AAA, 180g and mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio!
On top, both these John Lee Hooker exclusives came out in 1960 - 60th anniversary reissue. The Country Blues of John Lee Hooker came out last year in 2019 for its 60th anniversary reissue!

I think this is definitely mastered by Kevin Gray! Would be good if VMP can confirm!

For what it's worth these are on Craft and will almost certainly get a wide release black reissue to accompany these at a lower price. Although I will say that at least in Canada, Craft isn't super cheaply priced so these might not be THAT far off from the black MSRP but I'm guessing these are at least 5-7 dollars more.
This is good information. As long as a AAA copy is readily accessible and not limited then I could probs hold off on these.

For what it's worth these are on Craft and will almost certainly get a wide release black reissue to accompany these at a lower price. Although I will say that at least in Canada Craft isn't super cheaply priced so these might not be THAT far off from the black MSRP but I'm guessing these are at least 5-7 dollars more.
I'm banking in this being true, looks like Music Direct has The Country Blues of JLH for $25 USD. My guess is these would be a similar price. Also wouldn't have to deal with VMP fuckery.

I'm banking in this being true, looks like Music Direct has The Country Blues of JLH for $25 USD. My guess is these would be a similar price. Also wouldn't have to deal with VMP fuckery.
Like @NathanRicaud said earlier, I also have that Country Blues mastered by KPG and it's fantastic and I THINK I paid like $28 CAD for it which is about the price of a chocolate bar for you Yanks. Sooooo.... if you don't care about pretty colored Blues records then I'd say you don't have to worry about missing out if you hold off. I mean I can't be sure, but I kinda doubt they'd go to the trouble of getting it AAA remastered just to sell 1000 copies on VMPs site.

Also for what it's worth I love fancy colored vinyl but if there's one genre that does NOT need fancy colored vinyl it's the blues. I don't think I have a single Blues record that's anything other than standard black vinyl.

Unless it’s birthday blue:)

I totally agree though...black for sure :)
If someone puts out a record in "Birthday Blue" I will buy all of them. I will scour the corners of the earth to find every copy just so I can have them all in my possession. That's how special Birthday Blue is.

Last edited:
If someone puts out a record in "Birthday Blue" I will buy all of them. I will go to the corners of the earth to find every copy just so I can have them all in my possession. That's how special Birthday Blue is.
Also, if anyone attempts to tell me that Birthday Blue ISN'T special... I will burn this place to the ground.

Like @NathanRicaud said earlier, I also have that Country Blues mastered by KPG and it's fantastic and I THINK I paid like $28 CAD for it which is about the price of a chocolate bar for you Yanks. Sooooo.... if you don't care about pretty colored Blues records then I'd say you don't have to worry about missing out if you hold off. I mean I can't be sure, but I kinda doubt they'd go to the trouble of getting it AAA remastered just to sell 1000 copies on VMPs site.

Also for what it's worth I love fancy colored vinyl but if there's one genre that does NOT need fancy colored vinyl it's the blues. I don't think I have a single Blues record that's anything other than standard black vinyl.
Yea, you speak the truth as always @Mather. I love JLH and I don't have either of these (or Country Blues). Sound quality is #1 for me, so if I can get it for cheaper on black, I'm good with that, especially if I wind up buying all three of these. Also, given VMP's track record, who knows what it will actual look like and when it will come lol.

Yea, you speak the truth as always @Mather. I love JLH and I don't have either of these (or Country Blues). Sound quality is #1 for me, so if I can get it for cheaper on black, I'm good with that, especially if I wind up buying all three of these. Also, given VMP's track record, who knows what it will actual look like and when it will come lol.
The ONLY unfortunate thing with these Craft reissues is they're pressed at MRP, and I find they're similar to GZ in that they CAN do great pressings but they're inconsistent at best. For instance I've got the MRP Craft 24 Carat Black and it is an absolute disaster of a pressing...

The ONLY unfortunate thing with these Craft reissues is they're pressed at MRP, and I find they're similar to GZ in that they CAN do great pressings but they're inconsistent at best. For instance I've got the MRP Craft 24 Carat Black and it is an absolute disaster of a pressing...
Yeah, I would’ve preferred these exclusives to be pressed at RTI like the Chet Baker VMP exclusives because they’re also Craft reissues that are AAA and 180g!

I wonder if the black pressing for these John Lee Hooker’s will be pressed at MRP or somewhere else...🤔

*frantically checks discogs to check for Craft reissues/MRP pressings for comparison*

Yeah, I would’ve preferred these exclusives to be pressed at RTI like the Chet Baker VMP exclusives because they’re also Craft reissues that are AAA and 180g!

I wonder if the black pressing for these John Lee Hooker’s will be pressed at MRP or somewhere else...🤔
I very much doubt they'd be anywhere else. Don't usually see colored and black vinyl from the same run coming from separate plants, although I have seen it when it's split between a Euro and NA pressing releases. Craft is Universal out of L.A. so if the colored NA press is MRP I'm sure the black will be too.

Back