Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

You see this @wynn72

I did. But saw it the same day my bullmoose copy shipped. Oh well...

So where does folk end and country begins exactly ?
I think of Folk as a much wider umbrella of music, which encompasses songs tied to a certain culture or location with a large focus on story telling. And often has a very nostalgic feeling tied to that type of life.
I think of Folk as a much wider umbrella of music, which encompasses songs tied to a certain culture or location with a large focus on story telling. And often has a very nostalgic feeling tied to that type of life.

Country I see as under the wider umbrella of Folk and mostly tied to Southern and Western music. There's obviously alot of great artists in Country who come from Canada, Australia, etc but they still keep that style of music. The roots are more based in Blues and Folk music from those general areas with alot of focus in songwriting on Working class life and Culture you'd see in the South and Southwest. And even though Country has some great song writers, I'd say there is more of an overall focus on Melody and Rhythm, as opposed to lyrics being primarily at the forefront of straight folk music.

Obviously Genre is very fluid and there are examples in both that don't fit with this at all, especially now. And there are many right ways to answer that question. But that's how I see the main difference, at least in stylistic origins.
Americana, seriously though it’s like all genres there is some overlap.
I think folk is a catch all really for a type of organic storytelling music that is apparent in various different ways across the globe. I think elements of country are folk but then elements of Irish music too are folk but then others are very much their own thing.
Absolutely, and what I said in my post earlier. I think most Country Music is Folk but not necessarily vice-versa. I honestly think even alot of Rap/Hip-Hop can be defined as folk due to it's story telling elements and the fact that stylistically it's tied to a culture and geographic region. Some may call that a stretch though...
I think you guys are on the right track. The answer is in the name. "Folk" music is more of an anthropological term than a reference to genre. It's more closely related to the people/culture/region that produced it, and usually connotes more primitive musical styles and song structures. Participation in a folk tradition also tends to lean away from commercial enterprise and into cultural preservation.

Meanwhile, country music is a genre of popular music that borrows some regional/cultural folk traditions and familiar themes/structures/instruments for less specific, more commercially viable work.

Popular Country Artists trashing the President? Very ahead of their time. It's almost comical to think of the backlash they got back then.

Also the Dixie Chicks are incredible.

popular country artists trashing the REPUBLICAN president, and not so much ahead of their time as they are in a league of their own.

Yeah, it's a shame and something I see more with Country than any other genre.

There's plenty of people who are only fans of classic rock but they usually say "Rock music today sucks", not "that isnt Rock".
Not sure why people have such a firm idea in their head of what does and does not even qualify as Country.
To be fair, that debate has been going since about 1931

Orville Peck was a special guest on a Luck Festival live-stream early on during the quarantine.

He announced he was gonna play "Cowboys Are Frequently Fond of Each Other" by Willie Nelson and said "I can really relate to this song...because I'm...<long pause>...a Cowboy".

Hilarious...beautiful timing...and was an excellent rendition.

*narrator voice 'If you didn't know Orville is gay'.

For the country crowd, what is everyone’s wishlist for the first year of Vinyl Me, Pardner? Off the top of my head, here’s mine...
Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie
Alison Krauss - Now That I’ve Found You
Dwight Yoakam - Gone
Gillian Welch - Revival
Johnny Cash - American Recordings
Dixie Chicks - Home
Waylon Jennings - Dreaming my Dreams
Whiskeytown - Faithless Street
Lyle Lovett - Pontiac
Bob Wills & Texas Playboys - For the Last Time
....then finish the year with back to back:
Trisha Yearwood - self titled
Garth Brooks - No Fences

Last edited:
Pretty sure the majority of us respect and even like country.... we just think storf’s affinity for bro-country is pathetic.
What exactly is Bro country I never heard the term before here. Is it the country songs like Florida Georgia Line and the party/beer drinking songs?
For the country crowd, what is everyone’s wishlist for the first year of Vinyl Me, Pardner? Off the top of my head, here’s mine...
Dwight Yoakam - Gone
Gillian Welch - Revival
Dixie Chicks - Home
Lyle Lovett - Pontiac
Garth Brooks - No Fences
Learn to Live by Darius Rucker. I should probably reserve this for the confessions thread but ever since I had a kid that song It won’t be like this for long makes me ugly cry every time I hear it, and I’m really not a crier but that one just hits me hard.

Dwight Yoakam - Gone
Gillian Welch - Revival
Dixie Chicks - Home
Lyle Lovett - Pontiac
Garth Brooks - No Fences
This is a solid list, I have a few of these. I would throw some more 80’s and 90’s Country on there. If They we’re gonna do a Whiskeytown album which is probably unlikely due to Ryan Adams “unpleasantness” I would prefer Pneumonia. Some others that would be rad...
Lambchop - How I Quit Smoking
Roger Miller - Roger and Out
Merle Haggard - Swinging Doors and Barstools
Jerry Reed - Nashville Underground
Kris Kristofferson - Kristofferson
Bill Monroe - Bean Blossom
Doug Sham - Doug Sham and Band
Billy Joe Shaver Old Five and Dimers Like Me
Jerry Jeff Walker - Viva Terlingua
George Jones - The Grand Tour
David Allan Coe - Once Upon a Rhyme
Hank Thompson - A Six Pack To Go
Asleep At The Wheel - Texas Gold
George Strait - Strait From The Heart
Ricky Skaggs - Country Boy
John Anderson - All The People Are Talkin’
Randy Travis - Storm of Life
Vern Gosdin - Chiseled In Stone
Keith Whitley - Don’t Close Your Eyes
Lucinda Williams - Lucinda Williams
Clint Black - Killin’ Time
Junior Brown - 12 Shades of Brown
Brooks & Dunn - Brand New Man
Alan Jackson - A Lot About Living...
Joe Diffie - Honky Tonk Attitude
Joe Ely - Live Shots
Wayne Hancock - Thunderstorms and Neon Signs
Tracy Lawrence - Time Marches On
Old 97s - Fight Songs
Dolly Parton - The Grass Is Blue
The Word - The Word
Bobby Bare Jr. - Young Criminals Starvation League
Kelly Pickler - 100 Proof
Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen - Hold My Beer...
Parker McCullum - Probably Wrong
Zach Bryan - Elisabeth

What exactly is Bro country I never heard the term before here. Is it the country songs like Florida Georgia Line and the party/beer drinking songs?
This is pretty accurate. Very Pop Country most of the songs are about having a good time. Light on the twang, usually showing a more modern R&B Influence maybe even even some electronics and Hip-hop elements. Sam Hunt, Thomas Rhett, etc...

Dwight Yoakam - Gone
Gillian Welch - Revival
Dixie Chicks - Home
Lyle Lovett - Pontiac
Garth Brooks - No Fences
Honky Tonk Heroes

Ok, mostly lurking lately, but I just gotta say... Y'all checked out the new Courtney Marie Andrews album? Talk about blurring the lines between country and folk, and her voice is just incredible. I'm probably late to the party as I hadn't even heard of her until last week when someone in this thread mentioned that the VMP version of her new album was almost out of stock (but it looks like they have restocked it or something).

She has a really great set on KEXP from a couple years ago as well:

Back