Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I’m trying not get over-excited (and failing) just in case it doesnt come through. But between us knowing this was the next up track in the works for awhile, and those non-confirming but strongly teasing tweets, It has to be a strong possibility.

Is there a chance this new track is going to kill Anthologies and will be a place to drop all the records they would have used in those boxes?

I think a good possibility this track will kill Anthology, but I would expect a new track or 2 to have an ongoing theme. If anything, they'll probably continue to do the Anthologies they were far along enough in and then end it after that. Or just do them less frequently than they were planning (remember when they said they would be almost monthly this year? lol)

I can see awhile discussion on the country merits of Lambchop and The Tindersticks but I'd be all over that shit. Full pardner.
I think when the ROTM was Arctic Monkeys there a was a visual clue in the guess thread of someone waving off an offered cigarette and I was hoping and praying for How I quit Smoking. I am still clamoring for a reissue.

Last edited:
All y'all shitting on country probably don't realize that in almost every genre today, there is significant country influence.
I get it, it's cool to jump on the bandwagon and I'll admit, I was right there with you until I realized that popular country (Luke Bryant, Kenny Chesney, etc.) is one type of Country not Country as a whole.
Some examples of Country and/or influenced by Country albums:
Ryan Adams - any album except maybe Rock N Roll
Wilco - All albums
Neko Case - all albums
Lil Nas X
Kacey Musgraves (this one was particularly obvious)
Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride (see: For Vampire Weekend, East Coast prep is out, and L.A. dad vibes are in and/or Ezra's interview on the Broken Record podcast)
Jason Isbell - Anything he's in
Yola
Dan Auerbach and therefore some Black Keys

I'm not saying you should like Country but I would imagine a lot of you like Country and don't even realize that the music you're listening to is a form of Country.

All y'all shitting on country probably don't realize that in almost every genre today, there is significant country influence.
I get it, it's cool to jump on the bandwagon and I'll admit, I was right there with you until I realized that popular country (Luke Bryant, Kenny Chesney, etc.) is one type of Country not Country as a whole.
Wilco - All albums
Neko Case - all albums
Lil Nas X
Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride (see: For Vampire Weekend, East Coast prep is out, and L.A. dad vibes are in and/or Ezra's interview on the Broken Record podcast)
Yola

I'm not saying you should like Country but I would imagine a lot of you like Country and don't even realize that the music you're listening to is a form of Country.
Pretty sure the majority of us respect and even like country.... we just think storf’s affinity for bro-country is pathetic.

Wilco - All albums
Neko Case - all albums
Lil Nas X
Yola

Ken Burns recent documentary is a good primer for anyone interested in the genre.

Pretty sure the majority of us respect and even like country.... we just think storf’s affinity for bro-country is pathetic.
Oh I agree and maybe my response is heavily influenced by @NathanRicaud's posts about not liking country (as his posts are frequent and I'm glad that he is posting a bunch on here because it generates discussion). I thought it might make sense to bring forth something I've discovered from diving into some podcasts with people in the business that not only is country not going away, it's basically everywhere.

Country has some major issues, particularly around bro-country. There are a lot of great female artists who are getting shafted because of fear of change and loss of perceived power. If you've been following Kacey Musgraves' story about Golden Hour, it's discussed heavily how she wouldn't get air time on radio shows because she's not male. It's a pretty big problem in the industry.

A lot of musicians are going to Nashville for song writing help. Nashville is of course famous for it's country music machine and this is why artists of all genres are going there.

I will admit, it is likely that Storf is leading this new channel of VMP and that is a big turn off for me as he seems to pick very self serving picks as opposed to the best ones for the channel. We've seen this with Classics over the past year and Anthology. I'm not a fan.

Which Waylon albums would you recommend to someone trying to get into country.? I like country, but I’m only familiar with a few artists and never know where to start to really dive in.
Dreaming My Dreams is his best pure Waylon album . Honky Tonk Hero’s, Outlaws, and Waylon & Willie are all great collaborative albums.

You can like Bro-Country and also realize it's trashy and disposable. I love Country music and that includes some Bro Country like FGL and Luke Bryan, as well as a lot of Pop-Country. It's just good music for driving or grilling outside and having a drink but it's not what I'd recommend to someone when trying to get them into Country.

I like a diverse set of music but Country and Pop are my favorites so of course I'm going to like that crossover music, even though I also love the classics and artists like Sturgill, Childers, Jinks, etc. I honestly think Storf is in the same category where he loves Country music in general, but also has a soft spot for some Bro-Country. Doesnt mean he's going to pick them for curation and I honestly think it would be harder to get the licensing rights on those if he even wanted to.

Let's remember that Storfs responsible for virtually all of the Country exclusives and that includes classic reissues like Loretta, Willie, and Dolly, as well as current artists like Paul Cauthen, Cody Jinks, Margo Price, Jason Isbell, Courtney Marie Anderson, etc. Never a bro-country pick.

You can like Bro-Country and also realize it's trashy and disposable. I love Country music and that includes some Bro Country like FGL and Luke Bryan, as well as a lot of Pop-Country. It's just good music for driving or grilling outside and having a drink but it's not what I'd recommend to someone when trying to get them into Country.

I like a diverse set of music but Country and Pop are my favorites so of course I'm going to like that crossover music, even though I also love the classics and artists like Sturgill, Childers, Jinks, etc. I honestly think Storf is in the same category where he loves Country music in general, but also has a soft spot for some Bro-Country. Doesnt mean he's going to pick them for curation and I honestly think it would be harder to get the licensing rights on those if he even wanted to.

Let's remember that Storfs responsible for virtually all of the Country exclusives and that includes classic reissues like Loretta, Willie, and Dolly, as well as current artists like Paul Cauthen, Cody Jinks, Margo Price, Jason Isbell, Courtney Marie Anderson, etc. Never a bro-country pick.

Adding on to that, my only big problem with Bro-Country is how damaging it is the genre as a whole. It fully embraces all of Country Music's stereotypes for better or for worse and it is the reason so many people write off the genre, since unfortunately it is the most likely to be played on mainstream radio. But I blame a lot of that on the radio and major labels rather than artists themselves

For sure, bro-country does delegitimize the genre. If you want to understand any genre you have to dig deeper. You can’t just judge alt rock off RHCP, you can’t judge rap off Drake, pop off of Taylor, etc. etc.

Maybe the problem is a lack of sub genres within country. You have so many types of rock and RHH that’s it’s easy to discern between them. Country just seems to be split between Country, Folk, and Americana.

For sure, bro-country does delegitimize the genre. If you want to understand any genre you have to dig deeper. You can’t just judge alt rock off RHCP, you can’t judge rap off Drake, pop off of Taylor, etc. etc.

Maybe the problem is a lack of sub genres within country. You have so many types of rock and RHH that’s it’s easy to discern between them. Country just seems to be split between Country, Folk, and Americana.

Id agree with most other than your last line. You could say that country is a genre within folk, but not the other way around, folk is a much bigger and more encompassing thing that includes a wide variety of traditional forms of music from across the globe.

Not that anyone’s interested but it’s the ubiquitous stylised vocal twang that puts me off country.

Id agree with most other than your last line. You could say that country is a genre within folk, but not the other way around, folk is a much bigger and more encompassing thing that includes a wide variety of traditional forms of music from across the globe.

Fair. I would certainly defer to the experts in the instances of origin history, I’m certainly not a music scientists.

Fair. I would certainly defer to the experts in the instances of origin history, I’m certainly not a music scientists.

I think folk is a catch all really for a type of organic storytelling music that is apparent in various different ways across the globe. I think elements of country are folk but then elements of Irish music too are folk but then others are very much their own thing.

Back