Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Matt Tavares the keyboardist announced he was leaving the band last year. I think I saw an interview at the beginning of this year where they talked about working on a new album for 2020, but who knows what its status is ever since the rona popped up.

Tavares and Leland Whitty (who joined BBNG in 2016) released 'Visions' earlier this year. @Urbs_hott

Tavares and Leland Whitty (who joined BBNG in 2016) released 'Visions' earlier this year. @Urbs_hott

They had me at "Arthur Veroicai-esque arrangements."

I wonder if that will get a VMP release at some point.

Yeah fair enough. Objectively I guess it isn’t bad, but it’s by far their worst music. Combine that with my own personal sky high expectations(which they’ve earned) makes it bad. This exemplifies why I try to never preorder new releases. No matter how much you love a band, their next album might just suuuuuuck.
Curious why you think it’s their worst music? It sounds very similar to me to their other albums aside from just more lyrics in this one. Not sure what people really expected? To me it’s just more of the same which isn’t necessarily bad (or good) to me. I like their music. I like the vibe of it all. I own most of it on vinyl. They have always been a band to me where you could put a song on, I would know it’s them and enjoy it but hell if I know which album it’s on or what the name of the song is. It all kind of blurs together to me. I know that probably sounds like I hate the band...but as @Ghost said, they scratch the itch when I want that kind of vibe of music. I’m a bit surprised that this album has gotten a lot of negative reviews and dislike. I agree it’s probably their worst but I still enjoy it and there have been lots of people saying “I will never listen to it again” which I’m a bit confused about, since to me it’s not that far off from their other stuff.

All I can say is that Hasta El Cielo is by far my favorite of the three, but you can easily run all three in a row like a playlist and it totally works. Like @TenderLovingKiller® , the next Khruangbin LP may not be an automatic preorder for me. Three-ish hours of this particular playlist is just about the right amount. Not sure there are further depths to plumb, though.

All I can say is that Hasta El Cielo is by far my favorite of the three, but you can easily run all three in a row like a playlist and it totally works. Like @TenderLovingKiller® , the next Khruangbin LP may not be an automatic preorder for me. Three-ish hours of this particular playlist is just about the right amount. Not sure there are further depths to plumb, though.
Same here, after Mordechai, the next Khruangbin isn’t going to be an automatic pre-order. Unless they completely change their sound and release a few singles which blow me away!

But I’m so happy I have a few records by Khruangbin because like their music is very loved by Melbournians. Last time they were in Melbourne, they did 3 sold out shows and Mordechai debuted at #4 on the Australian album charts. And their music is just such a vibe as well, so I’m happy to have their music on vinyl because it’s great to just spin and have as chilled, background music! 👍😎

Like they just have that summer, surf-y, chilled, beach-y sound that’s perfect for Aussie summers, and I love that! 🌊☀️ 🏄‍♂️🏖

I can’t believe it, but this week was the first week in a long time, where I wasn’t interested in any of the VMP store drops, including the Rising release! I’m kinda happy about that, because I need to cut back on spending. Also, I plan on grabbing the Whitney Houston boxset and Herbie Hancock Anthology Boxset when it drops! 🔑

A bit weird as the week before, I absolutely loved all the store drops; Harold Alexander, Margo Guryan, Steve & Teresa and Sonny Sharrock! All those four albums are sensational! 👏👏👏

The six VMP store drops that all came afterwards were a ❌ from me!

I’m looking forward to what store exclusives will drop next week though! 🙇‍♂️⏰

I'll still buy any new Khruangbin that drops haha. I agree Mordechai hit below par but that par is pretty high for me, so the end result is a different sound that I'll still enjoy playing if I want a more vocal-heavy spin from them. Also agree with the high floor low ceiling comment as well, but that floor gets me to the penthouse and sometimes I just need to take the elevator up and out of whatever I'm in to vibe with that. Everything Smiles At You gets the most plays from all the ones I have (that, Mord, Con Todo, Universe, Lincoln Hall) even if it's grouped singles it makes for such a wonderful playthrough.

Hope my VMP one comes with a decent mix in the variant as have been looking forward to it. Have the clear with the signed print so it'll be nice to have a more cosmetic alternative to adorn the table with as and when.

I can’t believe it, but this week was the first week in a long time, where I wasn’t interested in any of the VMP store drops, including the Rising release! I’m kinda happy about that, because I need to cut back on spending. Also, I plan on grabbing the Whitney Houston boxset and Herbie Hancock Anthology Boxset when it drops! 🔑

A bit weird as the week before, I absolutely loved all the store drops; Harold Alexander, Margo Guryan, Steve & Teresa and Sonny Sharrock! All those four albums are sensational! 👏👏👏

The six VMP store drops that all came afterwards were a ❌ from me!

I’m looking forward to what store exclusives will drop next week though! 🙇‍♂️⏰

received my Whitney box a few days ago. Very well done in my opinion. Might be worth what they are charging but I’m very happy with it

received my Whitney box a few days ago. Very well done in my opinion. Might be worth what they are charging but I’m very happy with it
Yeah, I heard the vinyl sounds amazing! It looks great too and I reckon the inclusion of the “Whitney Dancin’ Special” is great too! 👏✅

And I’m happy this album got the A+ treatment as it’s an amazing debut 80’s album from a woman with one of the best voices ever! 🏆

I’m definitely grabbing this soon! And I can’t wait to spin it and to look at the booklet that comes with it! 📖💎

I actually think this could be the VMP exclusive of the year, even though it’s very expensive! 💯

I guess this is a hot take now...I enjoy Mordechai and am very happy to keep preordering any and all Khruangbin 😂
I do too haha. It's not my favorite of theirs but I still dig it. Waiting on my vinyl to arrive still but the album has gotten a bunch of listens from me. Time (You and I) and So We Won't Forget are jams. I think the record will definitely get some spins for me.

I do too haha. It's not my favorite of theirs but I still dig it. Waiting on my vinyl to arrive still but the album has gotten a bunch of listens from me. Time (You and I) and So We Won't Forget are jams. I think the record will definitely get some spins for me.
I still dig the album as well. It’s a solid album. I’d rate it like a 6.3/10! And I love has it’s cool background music as well and is really hipster and laid back and surf-y and dreamy! I’m very happy I got this because I know my family and friends will enjoy this when it’s spinning! 😎

I can’t wait for it to be summer and live life up and to have those good vibes, and later nights and going to the beach and eating more healthy! It’s gonna be sweet! And I know Mordechai will definitely get some spins in summer! 🏝

I still dig the album as well. It’s a solid album. I’d rate it like a 6.3/10! And I love has it’s cool background music as well and is really hipster and laid back and surf-y and dreamy! I’m very happy I got this because I know my family and friends will enjoy this when it’s spinning! 😎

I can’t wait for it to be summer and live life up and to have those good vibes, and later nights and going to the beach and eating more healthy! It’s gonna be sweet! And I know Mordechai will definitely get some spins in summer! 🏝
haha "solid album! failing grade!" :ROFLMAO: I got ya though. I'd probably rank it around a 7 whereas their other albums are a 9 to me. I know a lot of people didn't like Hasta El Cielo either but that one gets a lot of listens for me too. Since working from home, I use my turntable a lot more since I have one in my office and that's a great album to have on as background music.

Omg guys, I’m so freaking excited for Summer because there’s so many albums that are going to be so fun to spin on the turntable then! Margo Guryan, Steve & Teresa, Khruangbin, Jonathan Richman, Donny Benét, Jake Sollo are all VMP exclusives that are yet to come to me, that I know will be awesome to play in the Summertime! 🛶🌻🌊☀️🏝

I can’t wait to play vinyl in Summer!!! 😍😍😍

haha "solid album! failing grade!" :ROFLMAO: I got ya though. I'd probably rank it around a 7 whereas their other albums are a 9 to me. I know a lot of people didn't like Hasta El Cielo either but that one gets a lot of listens for me too. Since working from home, I use my turntable a lot more since I have one in my office and that's a great album to have on as background music.
Actually I’d give Mordechai a 6.0 and Con Todo El Mundo a 7.3/10. Both are nice albums! Con Todo El Mundo is a pretty great album but it’s not an amazing that stood out in 2018 in my opinion! ♣️

That reminds me, OMFG, imagine how good Against All Logic’s 2012-2017 will sound in Summer!!! 👌

Omg guys, I’m so freaking excited for Summer because there’s so many albums that are going to be so fun to spin on the turntable then! Margo Guryan, Steve & Teresa, Khruangbin, Jonathan Richman, Donny Benét, Jake Sollo are all VMP exclusives that are yet to come to me, that I know will be awesome to play in the Summertime! 🛶🌻🌊☀🏝

I can’t wait to play vinyl in Summer!!! 😍😍😍
Forgot you’re on the other side of the world, cause here in San Antonio it’s peaking 102°F and if that’s not summer, I don’t know what is! 😂 enjoy your winter! 😭😅

Forgot you’re on the other side of the world, cause here in San Antonio it’s peaking 102°F and if that’s not summer, I don’t know what is! 😂 enjoy your winter! 😭😅
Omg do jealous Memo! Can you kidnap me Memo because it’s absolutely freezing here! ❄️🥶

You must be loving life right now with that temperature! 😎

San Antonio is such a nice sounding name for a city by the way! Love it! 😊

View attachment 56310

So, what does everyone do with the warped records they are told to keep from various online retailers? I started making clocks out of mine, and am thinking about selling them. I have way too many “bad” records stored in totes downstairs.
Honestly, nothing yet. I still have the disc of the "bad" pressing of Stars - Set Yourself on Fire that VMP did.

Back