Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

@NathanRicaud I would like to tell you what to do but I might be worst than you. I try to do what I want and can do but I haven't played a record quietly in a while. I would only suggest to purchase more records you want from local stores instead of VMP or trying to build the perfect collection. I have tons of "classics" (Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, etc..) I never listened to and just bought because they are considered must have. On the other hand, I have obscure jazz records from unknown bands that I enjoy a lot even if these are not cut by Kevin Gray or pressed on 180g at RTI. I mean, listen with your own ears what you want to listen to and not what other ears tell you to listen.

Whereas I’m the other way around. I let peer pressure sway me into getting all those classics jazz records when I all I really want to do is listen to my Hendrix, Beatles and Stones records 😂

Moral of the story, do what you like, not what peer pressure makes you think you should like and definitely not what VMP thinks you should like!

It’s a really big collection! I have so much vinyl! 16 Kallax squares are filled with vinyl! I’ve got 19 squares but if I was to consolidate it all, it would be like 16 squares! 🗳🗳🗳🗳

So yeah, I got a pretty huge collection! 😜

The price is high for 1 track! It’s a hard call! 🥴
Question for all: Do you own more "One Great Track" lp's, or more "FOMO Records I Should Have Never Bought Because They Suck" lp's? I have a lot of the latter.
Just catching up. I have quite a few records that I bought with just the 1 single in mind, but these are only ever records I have bought for £1-2 at carboot sales or charity shops, I would never buy an album at full-priced just for the single, unless it was incredibly likely that I would enjoy the rest of the album.

As an example, I will choose one which I know a few people on here (@Murfocakes) like, 'Dio - Holy Diver'. As a kid I heard the title track and really liked it, so years later when I saw it at a carboot sale for around £1 (maybe even 50p) it was worth buying it. However, if VMP or some other company had released a cool coloured limited pressing at their average cost I would not have bought it unless I listened to the rest first and enjoyed it. 50p or a quid for a single with the potential of enjoying the rest of the album is worth it, many £'s is not, in my opinion.

Whereas I’m the other way around. I let peer pressure sway me into getting all those classics jazz records when I all I really want to do is listen to my Hendrix, Beatles and Stones records 😂

Moral of the story, do what you like, not what peer pressure makes you think you should like and definitely not what VMP thinks you should like!
This is so so so true, I wish I could like it a million times.

When I first started to buy records I was at uni and would get most of my records at carboots and charity shops. I was buying whole collections of The Beatles, David Bowie, Beach Boys, etc, plus the 'must have's' like Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Led Zep, etc. I had absolutely no connection to most of these other than seeing it and thinking "this is a classic, I must have it". I have only really played most of them once and they have been on my shelf ever since. Those '50 Records Every Collector Must Own' don't help (especially when its a store that's posting them and wanting sales), but as soon as you realise that you should just ignore what other people think and get what you actually want to listen to, then its a much better experience.

I was lucky that I wasn't paying a lot for these records (space is my greatest issue as a result) but if your paying full price because people or companies are persuading you to then I really do think you need to heed to @Joe Mac advice here. I wont name names, but a lot of us here will remember a certain user that would buy up every release from VMP and other companies regardless of what it was and at the end, I believe he regretted it.

Edit: realised it was also @Skalap that raised the point. Listen to him and @Joe Mac!!

This is so so so true, I wish I could like it a million times.

When I first started to buy records I was at uni and would get most of my records at carboots and charity shops. I was buying whole collections of The Beatles, David Bowie, Beach Boys, etc, plus the 'must have's' like Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Led Zep, etc. I had absolutely no connection to most of these other than seeing it and thinking "this is a classic, I must have it". I have only really played most of them once and they have been on my shelf ever since. Those '50 Records Every Collector Must Own' don't help (especially when its a store that's posting them and wanting sales), but as soon as you realise that you should just ignore what other people think and get what you actually want to listen to, then its a much better experience.

I was lucky that I wasn't paying a lot for these records (space is my greatest issue as a result) but if your paying full price because people or companies are persuading you to then I really do think you need to heed to @Joe Mac advice here. I wont name names, but a lot of us here will remember a certain user that would buy up every release from VMP and other companies regardless of what it was and at the end, I believe he regretted it.

Edit: realised it was also @Skalap that raised the point. Listen to him and @Joe Mac!!

Me and @Joe Mac are the voice of wisdom. Jokes aside, there are enough people on this forum from different countries, listening to different music genre. IMO this is where you @NathanRicaud should search for new music. Nobody here is trying to sell their warped colored variant of some $1 bin record. I discovered tons of great music just by spending time here, N&G AoTM threads being the best place for that, just saying.

Nobody here is trying to sell their warped colored variant of some $1 bin record..
Hey guys HAVE I GOT A DEAL FOR YOU.

I just happen to have BUCKET LOADS of warped color variants of some $1 bin records that I'd LOVE to sell to you at seriously marked up prices. IT'S A WIN WIN.

Meet me in the alley behind Denny's, bring cash.

Hey guys HAVE I GOT A DEAL FOR YOU.

I just happen to have BUCKET LOADS of warped color variants of some $1 bin records that I'd LOVE to sell to you at seriously marked up prices. IT'S A WIN WIN.

Meet me in the alley behind Denny's, bring cash.

You could make a Be Kind, Rewind 2 - My Warped Vinyl Weighs a Ton. 50% movie, 50% documentary, 100% warped.

I hate that I’ve got a vinyl addiction! 😭👀😳

I mean I do listen and enjoy them but can rarely play a lot of them twice as there’s just too many. So I really need to stop! Need to stop being so materialistic! 😅😬

I can’t argue with your attitude to life if that’s how you really feel. If you want to live in the moment, go for it. If you’re not sure you’ll live beyond 50 (statistically speaking, you definitely will!!) then live for now.

But, if you’re looking for happiness and enjoyment I would challenge you to do that without spending money, on records or anything else. Consuming is not happiness.

If you’re 25 and looking at completely emptying your Super with no real plans to invest, save or work for the future then this isn’t a question of “living comfortably” in retirement. You’re resigning yourself to living on welfare, whatever that looks like in 40 years. Thinking that you’ll work in your 70s is admirable, but naive. I would recommend you stay living at home and save some money. Investing and making smart financial decisions can be your new addiction 😉 To put it into context, I’m older than you, have a steady 100k + job and I’ve bought, on average, an LP a week since I’ve started collecting and I’m constantly thinking I need to cut down my spending. You’ve bought, on average, 5 LPs a week since you started. Your challenge should be to only buy 6 more LPs this year; you’ll find a whole new appreciation for music when you’re forced to critique an album to decide which one you want more.. and you’ll only spend ~$200 more on vinyl this year (and still really enjoy the process) as opposed to burning your way through what’s left of your savings.

Seriously, start thinking about happiness in terms that don’t require a financial expenditure.

I can’t argue with your attitude to life if that’s how you really feel. If you want to live in the moment, go for it. If you’re not sure you’ll live beyond 50 (statistically speaking, you definitely will!!) then live for now.

But, if you’re looking for happiness and enjoyment I would challenge you to do that without spending money, on records or anything else. Consuming is not happiness.

If you’re 25 and looking at completely emptying your Super with no real plans to invest, save or work for the future then this isn’t a question of “living comfortably” in retirement. You’re resigning yourself to living on welfare, whatever that looks like in 40 years. Thinking that you’ll work in your 70s is admirable, but naive. I would recommend you stay living at home and save some money. Investing and making smart financial decisions can be your new addiction 😉 To put it into context, I’m older than you, have a steady 100k + job and I’ve bought, on average, an LP a week since I’ve started collecting and I’m constantly thinking I need to cut down my spending. You’ve bought, on average, 5 LPs a week since you started. Your challenge should be to only buy 6 more LPs this year; you’ll find a whole new appreciation for music when you’re forced to critique an album to decide which one you want more.. and you’ll only spend ~$200 more on vinyl this year (and still really enjoy the process) as opposed to burning your way through what’s left of your savings.

Seriously, start thinking about happiness in terms that don’t require a financial expenditure.

Totally agree. And you’ll still get one new album every month.

You could make a Be Kind, Rewind 2 - My Warped Vinyl Weighs a Ton. 50% movie, 50% documentary, 100% warped.

So what you’re saying is that the warp zone around chez @Mather has a pulse taking out the Vinyl Flat Death Star and all records in Toronto and @Mather, @juiceless and @BjorgenFjorgen have a litany of japes making endearingly shonky versions of everyone’s favourite classic albums?

I’d invest in that film!

Last edited:
So what you’re saying is that the warp zone around chez @Mather has a pulse taking out the Vinyl Flat Death Star and all records in Toronto and @Mather, @juiceless and @BjorgenFjorgen have a litany of japes making endearingly shonky versions of everyone’s favourite classic albums?

I’d invest in that film!
I'd certainly act in that film.

Mmmmmmm I’m definitely going to consume less! I’m happy for you that you have a steady job where you earn a really high salary! You must be very careful with your money if you have that mentality! 👍🧠

I’m not going to buy anything anymore on Amazon for sure now! 🙅‍♂️

I’m going to try and focus on getting a new job! And will try and get a job in the inner city I love, so then I can move out of home! 🏠👨‍💼🕺🐒

I think I’m happy but I won’t be buying vinyl now. That way I can see if I’m any less happy or not doing so! 📉📈☯️⚖️

Last edited:
Might as well cancel at this point. CS hasn't gotten back to me and I'm one day away from being charged for a month I already paid for. I know they're kinda swamped but this is pathetic. It's been 5 days and this is certainly not "we'll be with you shortly nonsense" especially after getting another email to let me know again they'd be contacting me soon. Absolutely blatant in just how they want to take my money at this point.

Might as well cancel at this point. CS hasn't gotten back to me and I'm one day away from being charged for a month I already paid for. I know they're kinda swamped but this is pathetic. It's been 5 days and this is certainly not "we'll be with you shortly nonsense" especially after getting another email to let me know again they'd be contacting me soon. Absolutely blatant in just how they want to take my money at this point.

yeah they've been pretty clearly unconcerned with actual customer service for some time now. but social media posting & marketing never sleeps.

yeah they've been pretty clearly unconcerned with actual customer service for some time now. but social media posting & marketing never sleeps.
I could do what some people have done and just hijack a post of theirs on IG or Twitter since that somehow gets a faster response but I can't be bothered to do that. Now to see how long it takes for them to refund me the month I now shall not be getting.

Back