Vinyl Me, Please Rock

Re Sabbath... Anyone else getting some pretty decent left channel distortion/vocal distortion on latter half of Children of the Grave? I see someone else mentioning it on Cogs and I've got it too, on two different carts so it's not a setup thing. It's a crazy fuzzy song anyhow but it's definitely there on my copy.

Re Sabbath... Anyone else getting some pretty decent left channel distortion/vocal distortion on latter half of Children of the Grave? I see someone else mentioning it on Cogs and I've got it too, on two different carts so it's not a setup thing. It's a crazy fuzzy song anyhow but it's definitely there on my copy.
Didn't notice it on my first listen. Was wearing headphones and I find that shows up more distortion if present.

I'm in a condo, so can't really blast it, or have the system to really do so, but that feels right as I was reading your comment while playing it. I wonder if it's just something really noticeable on higher end systems.

Just A/B'd it with an 80s reissue. It is lost in the sludge of the song but there is a bit of distortion over top of it. Can't say I would have even noticed it without looking for it on 2 pressings.
Yeah I'm sure both the volume I'm playing it at, and the detail forward system is bringing it out, like if you're going to get distortion on any song. That's probably the one to have it since it's pretty much like WHAT THAT SONG IS. But I think they struggled a bit with having that loud of a song cut that close to the end of the side. Definitely sounds like IGD to me. It doesn't ruin it or anything, but it's definitely noticeable when I play it.

Gonna give it another cleaning but on first listen there's some pretty bad popping on Solitude, which of course is the quietest song on the album. :/

Apologies if this has been covered already. This is my favourite Sabbath album, and while I'm certainly not hoping to have multiple copies, anyone who's also heard this recent reissue care to compare the two? I picked it up last winter and don't think I have any complaints about it.

Apologies if this has been covered already. This is my favourite Sabbath album, and while I'm certainly not hoping to have multiple copies, anyone who's also heard this recent reissue care to compare the two? I picked it up last winter and don't think I have any complaints about it.
From what I understand, the general consensus seems to be that the OG UK is still the best, followed by this VMP and the Bellman from... 2012? I think? And that the VMP and Bellman are kinda 1A and 1A... One emphasizes drums, the other vocals. Or something to that effect. It's a pretty rough recording so I don't think any of them are exactly considered top tier vinyl pressings. But I think it's definitely a YMMV kinda thing.

From what I understand, the general consensus seems to be that the OG UK is still the best, followed by this VMP and the Bellman from... 2012? I think? And that the VMP and Bellman are kinda 1A and 1A... One emphasizes drums, the other vocals. Or something to that effect. It's a pretty rough recording so I don't think any of them are exactly considered top tier vinyl pressings. But I think it's definitely a YMMV kinda thing.

Re the 2012 Bellman Sabbath (I have two I found used for a good price in Montreal - SBS and IV, not this one) - they sound pretty good. I still think my green label Canadian first press of IV is slightly better. But what I want to say is they were pressed at Rainbo, so be careful. They're not cheap anymore (I got them at sub 50$, so I'm happy and can probably resell that IV for more). Anyway, the copy of IV I got looks completely mint but is much noisier than my 1972 Canadian, despite the age. My copy of SBS is fantastic though. All this to say that the VMP may not have been such a bad bet, for those that landed one, considering.

For all the Sabbaths, at least the first 6 albums which is all I ever looked into, I think original UK vertigos are considered the best, but they are $$$$.

Back