Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Monotone voice, maybe. But not lifeless.
Yes, the thick voice is something that is struggle with but every album I’ve approached, and there’s been a few, has left me cold. I haven’t kept a single one.
I haven’t found my entry point so that I just get it. The music either sounds soupy or schmaltzy (Born To Run). Plodding or dull (Nebraska, Tom Joad). I hear Meat Loaf and I hear Xmas sax.
I think it might also be that I’m not American and I just can’t identify with some of the stories, but that juxtaposes my love for all sorts of other American musicians (Tom Waits for example).
I’m not sure I can explain it.

Yes, the thick voice is something that is struggle with but every album I’ve approached, and there’s been a few, has left me cold. I haven’t kept a single one.
I haven’t found my entry point so that I just get it. The music either sounds soupy or schmaltzy (Born To Run). Plodding or dull (Nebraska, Tom Joad). I hear Meat Loaf and I hear Xmas sax.
I think it might also be that I’m not American and I just can’t identify with some of the stories, but that juxtaposes my love for all sorts of other American musicians (Tom Waits for example).
I’m not sure I can explain it.
explain soupy and xmas sax?

I can get a bit of schmaltz with Born to Run and sure if that's your take on Nebraska and Joad.

The sax I'm having a hard time with. Clarence Clemons is great!

I have come around on some Bruce Springsteen songs over the years. Part of my problem with him was how much it was overplayed on the radio. I was never one to follow popular trends either. When Frankie goes to Hollywood did a cover of born to run, I really loved that song more. it took a different vocalist and musical approach from across the pond. I have always liked Nebraska because of its demo quality. Atlantic City is such a haunting song. I could always respect what he and the E St. band accomplished, and delivered to their fans, but it wasn’t for me.

WARNING: Hot Take Below

It wasn't until I heard Magic that I came to appreciate Springsteen. I thought that was a brilliant album that captures a nostalgic longing for an America and youth that in my opinion never were. But that's partially what turned me off of Bruce. I thought his sit down with Obama was pretentious liberal BS that was centrist to the core and entrenched the Dems in a corporate vision of the days that were only good for elites. That's what the nostalgia is for. It never existed for the working class that he tries to embody, but it did for the privileged like him, and he started to disgust me as much as Bono after that. So I struggle to listen without thinking about how he is also partly responsible for the political situation we're in today.

Is that unfair, maybe, and one day I might get over it, but the world sucks and I'm angry about it, so it's hard to suppress that and just enjoy the tunes these days.

Just wanna point out that rock artists tend to be a bit performative. Bob Dylan isn’t really a hobo street busking poet, Ozzy’s not a dark prince, and Bowie wasn’t a space alien.

If you need authenticity to enjoy music you are gonna miss out on a lot fun and amazing music.
Tom Waits is another perfect example of this.

I see where you’re coming from, but the hot take here is blaming one person for so much that is wrong with our political system and our country.
Oh I definitely don't just blame him, that would be silly. He was a very small part of it all. But he used his platform in a way that I do think did harm during the election. But the list is long and he's not anywhere near the top, just another symptom of the problems of American politics and his being so vocal makes him an easier target than most who actually wield a lot of power and do far more harm.

Edit: and I'll add Magic is still a good album, it's just tainted by my thoughts now, but that doesn't mean it wasn't musically there!

Last edited:
Oh I definitely don't just blame him, that would be silly. He was a very small part of it all. But he used his platform in a way that I do think did harm during the election. But the list is long and he's not anywhere near the top, just another symptom of the problems of American politics and his being so vocal makes him an easier target than most who actually wield a lot of power and do far more harm.
And I should add the obvious, the other side has done wayyyyy more harm to the system, but the Dems and famous rich folks haven't really done anything to stop it either. The whole thing is a garbage fire.

And I should add the obvious, the other side has done wayyyyy more harm to the system, but the Dems and famous rich folks haven't really done anything to stop it either. The whole thing is a garbage fire.
This is not exclusive to the US. Most western nations are dumpster fires now. Capitalism is fun.

I have come around on some Bruce Springsteen songs over the years. Part of my problem with him was how much it was overplayed on the radio. I was never one to follow popular trends either. When Frankie goes to Hollywood did a cover of born to run, I really loved that song more. it took a different vocalist and musical approach from across the pond. I have always liked Nebraska because of its demo quality. Atlantic City is such a haunting song. I could always respect what he and the E St. band accomplished, and delivered to their fans, but it wasn’t for me.
it took a minute for him to click with me also. Springsteen is like Budweiser to me (I am sure this comparison will irk @Joe Mac ). He was is what replacement level Rock & Roll sounds like, just like Budweiser is the taste that comes to mind if l were think about what “beer” tastes like. I think I took it a bit for granted initially in that it was always around and everyone’s dad enjoyed but after exploring things further I came to celebrate it for what it is. it’s hard for me to fully appreciate other artists/beers unless I wholly embrace Bruce/Budweiser as it provides me with the perfect baseline.

Last edited:
For example our political discourse now is broken down between a) those that don't care much for Trudeau, but are holding their noses and voting for him because b) the other side thinks "Fuck Trudeau" stickers are a valuable contribution to the political discourse and think their freedoms are being stolen without much proof, all the while their leaders are offering no solutions, just criticisms.

it took a minute for him to click with me also. Springsteen is like Budweiser to me (I am sure this comparison with irk @Joe Mac ). He was s what replacement level Rock & Roll sounds like just like Budweiser is taste that comes to mind if l were think about what “beer” tastes like. I think I took it a bit for granted initially in that it was always around and everyone’s dad enjoyed but after exploring things further I came to celebrate it for what it is. it’s hard for me to fully appreciate other artists/beers unless I wholly embrace Bruce/Budweiser as it provides me with the perfect baseline.

It does. I like Springsteen. Drinking piss has never been pleasurable.

it took a minute for him to click with me also. Springsteen is like Budweiser to me (I am sure this comparison with irk @Joe Mac ). He was s what replacement level Rock & Roll sounds like just like Budweiser is taste that comes to mind if l were think about what “beer” tastes like. I think I took it a bit for granted initially in that it was always around and everyone’s dad enjoyed but after exploring things further I came to celebrate it for what it is. it’s hard for me to fully appreciate other artists/beers unless I wholly embrace Bruce/Budweiser as it provides me with the perfect baseline.
I actually think this works really well as an analogy for him. He would be a perfect spokesperson for Bud. I prefer the watery flavor of Coors Light having lived for so long in Colorado, but that doesn't fit him as well as Bud, the king of beers, lol. It's hard to say it's bad because it's just plain and mostly flavorless, but great on a hot sunny day fishing. Kinda like where I think Bruce on the radio would be alright.

I actually think this works really well as an analogy for him. He would be a perfect spokesperson for Bud. I prefer the watery flavor of Coors Light having lived for so long in Colorado, but that doesn't fit him as well as Bud, the king of beers, lol. It's hard to say it's bad because it's just plain and mostly flavorless, but great on a hot sunny day fishing. Kinda like where I Bruce on the radio would be alright.
Exactly!

Piss? I think you’re confusing Budweiser with Heineken (for the record, I quite enjoy Heineken as well).
Ugh, I can't drink that skunk piss. Makes me gag. Nothing from a green bottle. Weird science makes them nasty because of what green light does to beer.

Maybe Corona?

I don't know, I don't buy watery beer, but I'll never turn it down even if I prefer something with flavor. I will turn down a Heine though, can't stand the stuff.

Back