Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Not much comments here on Nebraska: gotta say it's one of the better sounding Essentials (that I snagged) in recent memory. Absolutely zero complaints and zero GZ noise. Very well done.
My guess is, as good as it sounds it’s probably not a significant upgrade over what was already available. It’s good to know that they didn’t fuck it up though too.

My guess is, as good as it sounds it’s probably not a significant upgrade over what was already available. It’s good to know that they didn’t fuck it up though too.

Yeah it’s nice that they pressed a nice copy of it but equally I think the lack of buzz is that some of the longer term members likely already had the last press which was pretty damn perfect tbh.

Also to be fair to them if I was to do an album of Bruce’s as an AoTM it would have been this one.

Yeah it’s nice that they pressed a nice copy of it but equally I think the lack of buzz is that some of the longer term members likely already had the last press which was pretty damn perfect tbh.

Also to be fair to them if I was to do an album of Bruce’s as an AoTM it would have been this one.
Agreed.

But… it’s also Bruce. I wouldn’t have picked up any Bruce record. I find his records almost impossible to consume. There’s something lifeless about his music to me.

The Wild The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle would have been my Essentials pick if I was running VMP
I recently read Springsteen's autobiography which led to me finally picking up a copy... I don't know how I missed it before, but that album is so full of... dare I say it... life!
😯

Even Rosalita?

I can’t help thinking it’s really just performance art with a pinch of cultism hid under a big heaping scoop of schmaltz and I’m just not capable of swallowing it all. Somehow I always feel like I’m being old snake oil with every sad bastard/every man lyric or convenient bar band/St.Elmos fire sax laden crescendo. It doesn’t hit me as joyful or romantically melancholy, just carefully crafted to disguise how calculating his whole shtick really is.

But then again, I’ll defend Sting’s The Soul Cages. So what the fuck do I know anyway?

Edit: BTW I live in New Jersey and everyone I know would answer that question “Not Much”. I know I’m out here alone on this island.

Last edited:
I can’t help thinking it’s really just performance art with a pinch of cultism hid under a big heaping scoop of schmaltz and I’m just not capable of swallowing it all. Somehow I always feel like I’m being old snake oil with every sad bastard/every man lyric or convenient bar band/St.Elmos fire sax laden crescendo. It doesn’t hit me as joyful or romantically melancholy, just carefully crafted to disguise how calculating his whole shtick really is.

But then again, I’ll defend Sting’s The Soul Cages. So what the fuck do I know anyway?

Edit: BTW I live in New Jersey and everyone I know would answer that question “Not Much”. I know I’m out here alone on this island.
Especially in New Jersey! I saw Springsteen and his band in NJ back in '76 or '77 and while I wasn't necessarily a fast fan, there was no doubting his sincerity, and passion, and willingness to give every grain of his being to his performance. And of course the insanity of those local fans!

We get it, you’re a massive Jon Bon fan. There is no shame in admitting it but you don’t need to tear down The Boss in the process.

I mean The Soul Cages is a brilliant album. (The only Sting album i have ever owned that doesn't have Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland on it)

Just wanna point out that rock artists tend to be a bit performative. Bob Dylan isn’t really a hobo street busking poet, Ozzy’s not a dark prince, and Bowie wasn’t a space alien.

If you need authenticity to enjoy music you are gonna miss out on a lot fun and amazing music.
But Dylan was a hobo street busking poet, I'm pretty sure Ozzy is a dark prince, and Bowie was the Man who Fell to Earth! Dammit!

Back