Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Hot take? I love Maxwell's Silver Hammer šŸ‘€
My mom's name is Joan so I liked hearing it as a teen.

Wait...that may come off bad. While my mother and I certainly shared some growing pains as I went through my turbulent teens, I NEVER wanted harm to come to her - by hammer or otherwise.

Hot take? I love Maxwell's Silver Hammer šŸ‘€
MetallicImperturbableCorydorascatfish-size_restricted.gif

Just kidding. Like what you like. If it's on I won't skip over it but the "bang bang" part makes me want to leave the room.

The string laden, Phil Spector-ized version, for sure. The original version isn't bad at all.

And "Yellow Submarine" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" have never bothered me in the context of the albums, but they're not songs I ever want to listen to on their own. Same with "Birthday."
I believe John would refer to songs like these as ā€œPaulā€™s granny musicā€ and I canā€™t think of a better description.

I think the people who dislike it just wonā€™t shut up about it šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Me, the one I canā€™t stand is The Long And Winding Road. Dreadful.

Yeah thatā€™s one of Paulā€™s most saccharine tunes and Phil Spectorā€™s ridiculous orchestral and choral over dubs make it worse again.

Itā€™s not that damn silver hammer song though, my favourite thing about it is hearing any interview with one of the other three about it, they hate it even more than any of us ever couldā€¦

The string laden, Phil Spector-ized version, for sure. The original version isn't bad at all.

And "Yellow Submarine" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" have never bothered me in the context of the albums, but they're not songs I ever want to listen to on their own. Same with "Birthday."
Yeah it is absolutely the strings that kills it, but even without them, itā€™s just a boring song.

And FWIW: Weiner paid $250k to use that song. If VMP is getting Revolver as an exclusive (which isn't out of the question given that Target, B&N, etc. have done exclusives on Beatles records), they ain't gettin' it for cheap.
Perhaps, but if they do an exclusive (which I doubt) it will just be a color variant, which is basically a small add-on to the main pressing run, so should not cost all that much in license fees. And VMP would press as many as they can, and it would sell out in seconds.

And FWIW: Weiner paid $250k to use that song. If VMP is getting Revolver as an exclusive (which isn't out of the question given that Target, B&N, etc. have done exclusives on Beatles records), they ain't gettin' it for cheap.
wasn't the target/BN/etc exclusives just a t-shirt or a tote bag added to the regular black release?

Beatles, Dylan, Byrds and Buffalo Springfield all seem like huge gets for VMP. Wonder if it might be Beau Brummels '66? (which is not a great album)

I have a question since there was no real new clue what does rock in quotation marks mean in the first clue? Are the Beatles something other than rock? I kind of get that big Bruno Springsteen is doing a more stripped down folk type record but is filed under rock, is Revolver something out of the ordinary?? Also if it's Check Your Head that's not exactly straight ahead Hip Hop and yet they call that Hip Hop not "Hip Hop".. They really needed to hit us with a real new clue!!

I have a question since there was no real new clue what does rock in quotation marks mean in the first clue? Are the Beatles something other than rock? I kind of get that big Bruno Springsteen is doing a more stripped down folk type record but is filed under rock, is Revolver something out of the ordinary?? Also if it's Check Your Head that's not exactly straight ahead Hip Hop and yet they call that Hip Hop not "Hip Hop".. They really needed to hit us with a real new clue!!
It could be Dylan and "folk rock".

Wikipedia has it as:
Genre: Folk rock; blues rock; country rock; rock and roll;

I'd check what discogs has it listed under but for the last two weeks discogs must have moved their servers to Siberia.

Edit: Folk Rock.

Last edited:
Back