Vinyl Me Please Classics

👁👁👁👁👁👁

I haven't learned my lesson because I am indeed 🙈😁 can't wait to see what's behind the swap doors this month 🍀🚪 and how long I'll be trying to select it before I don't get it 😂😭 R&HH will be going to Classics but added tracks are open and ready for any good picks 🕵️‍♀️🎁🎁
I’ve got some great recommendations for you Kyuuji! 😇🎶

If you want something indulgent, trippy, nostalgic, warm, a bit lo-fi, and summery, definitely grab Nick Hakim’s “WILL THIS MAKE ME GOOD” ! It’s a great psychedelic R&B album! 🏝🧬👌

For a spiritual jazz album which takes you on a journey, that is beautiful, layered, semi futuristic in a tribal way, and a bit intense, and has dark and swirly tones, then grab Shabaka and The Ancestors’s “We Are Sent Here By History”. This will be a great swap as well in terms of value, as the VMP edition is USD$39! 🗿🧞🎷🏺

Lastly, Perfume Genius’ “Set My Heart On Fire Immediately” would be another awesome swap! It’s a lavish yet murky, pop, alternative album that is very diverse in its sound! You get jabs of punk-rock, reggae, Celtic, Soul and other genres! Perfume Genius’ oblique and heartfelt emotion really stands out on this record! Also, it’s another great swap in terms of value too! 💯🤵💰

Good luck with the Swaptions this time Kyuuji! I know your first Swaptions was messy, but fingers crossed this one is smooth, and you grab some gems! 💎🤞🎰🎁

I’ve got some great recommendations for you Kyuuji! 😇🎶

If you want something indulgent, trippy, nostalgic, warm, a bit lo-fi, and summery, definitely grab Nick Hakim’s “WILL THIS MAKE ME GOOD” ! It’s a great psychedelic R&B album! 🏝🧬👌

For a spiritual jazz album which takes you on a journey, that is beautiful, layered, semi futuristic in a tribal way, and a bit intense, and has dark and swirly tones, then grab Shabaka and The Ancestors’s “We Are Sent Here By History”. This will be a great swap as well in terms of value, as the VMP edition is USD$39! 🗿🧞🎷🏺

Lastly, Perfume Genius’ “Set My Heart On Fire Immediately” would be another awesome swap! It’s a lavish yet murky, pop, alternative album that is very diverse in its sound! You get jabs of punk-rock, reggae, Celtic, Soul and other genres! Perfume Genius’ oblique and heartfelt emotion really stands out on this record! Also, it’s another great swap in terms of value too! 💯🤵💰

Good luck with the Swaptions this time Kyuuji! I know your first Swaptions was messy, but fingers crossed this one is smooth, and you grab some gems! 💎🤞🎰🎁
Thank you Nathan 🤝💛 always appreciate them. I'll definitely check out Nick Hakim as that sounds right up my street and as you say, a good one to have for summer. I've heard it being mentioned recently so can tell it's going to be good 🌴☀ On Shabaka I actually, one way or another, should have this coming already 🎉! Among the swap fiascos they reset my swaps back and I'd requested Herbie Hancock's Mr. Hands. When I submitted my request to have them set back I asked if it could be made Shabaka instead, then I got a notification that Shabaka was added to my orders. Mr. Hands is still my swap though and still in orders along with Shabaka :LOL:❓. So really unsure which one or both I'll get as they're all unfulfilled still but 🤞for that going well.

Similarly, my sign-up pick the month before was Phrenology which never arrived, and somehow got swapped for Bella Donna in my picks this month when I check.. but Bella Donna has been shipped.. and now there's two Phrenology's in orders lol 🤷‍♀️❓. So as it stands there's quite a few records that are unfulfilled and have no idea what will actually be being sent ✉ ✈😂

I'll definitely check out Perfume Genius – Set My Heart On Fire Immediatly too. I recognise the cover from my time around VMP and the magazine checking out stocks! Both it and WILL THIS MAKE ME GOOD sound like they'd be something I'd enjoy so will find time to play both between now and swap day 🙌🎶 my only trouble at the moment is listening to something on Spotify when I've got records to spin! That's time spent that I could be exploring another treasure in my collection! 🏆

Thank you! 🙇‍♀️

Last edited:

I SHOULD be getting my VMP of Shabaka & The Ancestor's today. Really excited. I've seen Shabaka live 4-5 times now and was supposed to see Shabaka & The Ancestor's at a festival in a few weeks. Luckily they have already agreed to perform at the festival next year, so that should be good. The first time I saw him was at the same festival last year and I started walking over from one stage to another to get ready for his performance with The Comet Is Coming and I bumped into him at the market inbetween. He was there with his family checking all the other acts out before running over to perform. Seems like a really cool guy.

I SHOULD be getting my VMP of Shabaka & The Ancestor's today. Really excited. I've seen Shabaka live 4-5 times now and was supposed to see Shabaka & The Ancestor's at a festival in a few weeks. Luckily they have already agreed to perform at the festival next year, so that should be good. The first time I saw him was at the same festival last year and I started walking over from one stage to another to get ready for his performance with The Comet Is Coming and I bumped into him at the market inbetween. He was there with his family checking all the other acts out before running over to perform. Seems like a really cool guy.
I’m so happy you take advantage of the incredible music scene London has to offer! 😍🥇🥁🎷🎸🎻🎹🎤

That’s awesome you actually bumped into him! And that’s also crazy you’ve seen him live 5 times!!! 🤪😱🙀👏

Can’t wait for you to spin the Shabaka and The Ancestors album! Let me know what you think of the pressing! Can’t wait for mine to arrive too! 🙇‍♂️📀😁

But OMG, I wish I lived in London and was your housemate and went to so many gigs with you! I would love you so much as a friend and we would enjoy each other’s music so much! And I can just tell I’d find you super funny! Like you would make me laugh all the time! And omg, your music taste and collection would be absolutely 🔥🎯💯👌

Thank you Nathan 🤝💛 always appreciate them. I'll definitely check out Nick Hakim as that sounds right up my street and as you say, a good one to have for summer. I've heard it being mentioned recently so can tell it's going to be good 🌴☀ On Shabaka I actually, one way or another, should have this coming already 🎉! Among the swap fiascos they reset my swaps back and I'd requested Herbie Hancock's Mr. Hands. When I submitted my request to have them set back I asked if it could be made Shabaka instead, then I got a notification that Shabaka was added to my orders. Mr. Hands is still my swap though and still in orders along with Shabaka :LOL:❓. So really unsure which one or both I'll get as they're all unfulfilled still but 🤞for that going well.

Similarly, my sign-up pick the month before was Phrenology which never arrived, and somehow got swapped for Bella Donna in my picks this month when I check.. but Bella Donna has been shipped.. and now there's two Phrenology's in orders lol 🤷‍♀️❓. So as it stands there's quite a few records that are unfulfilled and have no idea what will actually be being sent ✉ ✈😂

I'll definitely check out Perfume Genius – Set My Heart On Fire Immediatly too. I recognise the cover from my time around VMP and the magazine checking out stocks! Both it and WILL THIS MAKE ME GOOD sound like they'd be something I'd enjoy so will find time to play both between now and swap day 🙌🎶 my only trouble at the moment is listening to something on Spotify when I've got records to spin! That's time spent that I could be exploring another treasure in my collection! 🏆

Thank you! 🙇‍♀️
That’s awesome you’ll be getting Shabaka and Herbie Hancock! You deserve it because you’re the best new VMP member! 💯

Yeah, if you like artists such as Michael Seyer, Jordan Rakei, Maxwell, Raheem Devaughn, Kali Uchis and Leon Ware, then you will definitely like the Nick Hakim VMP exclusive! 😇 and yeah, I love a laid-back, good vibes summertime album 🏝🛶🍹!

LMAOOO hope you end up getting both Bella Donna and Phrenology as they’re spectacular ROTM’s! 🤞🎲 Gotta love a bit of surprise VMP package though 💝📦

Perfume Genius’ album can definitely at times, make you have those deep heartfelt emotions you feel when you listen to Frank Ocean’s Blonde! 🌀💭 If it’s in the Swaptions, get it! It will sell out quicker than Nick Hakim and it’s a better album than Nick Hakim in my opinion! And this is coming from someone who loves music by musicians like Marvin Gaye, Steve Lacy, Anderson Paak, Lauryn Hill, Gabriel Garzon-Montano, Maxwell etc 💁‍♂️💡👆🧠

Last edited:
I’m so happy you take advantage of the incredible music scene London has to offer! 😍🥇🥁🎷🎸🎻🎹🎤

That’s awesome you actually bumped into him! And that’s also crazy you’ve seen him live 5 times!!! 🤪😱🙀👏

Can’t wait for you to spin the Shabaka and The Ancestors album! Let me know what you think of the pressing! Can’t wait for mine to arrive too! 🙇‍♂️📀😁

But OMG, I wish I lived in London and was your housemate and went to so many gigs with you! I would love you so much as a friend and we would enjoy each other’s music so much! And I can just tell I’d find you super funny! Like you would make me laugh all the time! And omg, your music taste and collection would be absolutely 🔥🎯💯👌
The fantastic thing at the moment is that a lot of these jazz gigs in London are super affordable when you compare them with a lot of gigs from other music genres. Some of them are beginning to become in-line, in terms of ticket prices, with the more mainstream acts (the second time I saw The Comet Is Coming was at the 02 Academy and was the standard price) but several make use of the more quirky cheaper venues which are actually more fun in my opinion. I know you saw Joel Ross at the Pizza Express Lounge (shame we didn't go the same day!) and those are the better gigs for me. There's a great independent theatre under a disused railway arch in the centre of London where I saw Binker Golding perform and that was amazing too.

I will give it a proper listen tonight if it arrives, I really hope its a decent pressing as the music is fantastic from what I have streamed of it.

Hahaha that would be great Nathan! Most of my mates in London aren't into jazz in the slightest.

The fantastic thing at the moment is that a lot of these jazz gigs in London are super affordable when you compare them with a lot of gigs from other music genres. Some of them are beginning to become in-line, in terms of ticket prices, with the more mainstream acts (the second time I saw The Comet Is Coming was at the 02 Academy and was the standard price) but several make use of the more quirky cheaper venues which are actually more fun in my opinion. I know you saw Joel Ross at the Pizza Express Lounge (shame we didn't go the same day!) and those are the better gigs for me. There's a great independent theatre under a disused railway arch in the centre of London where I saw Binker Golding perform and that was amazing too.

I will give it a proper listen tonight if it arrives, I really hope its a decent pressing as the music is fantastic from what I have streamed of it.

Hahaha that would be great Nathan! Most of my mates in London aren't into jazz in the slightest.
Omg I knowwwww! I reckon you would’ve recognised me at the Joel Ross gig! Like I came in late and was by myself and am young! Like you couldn’t have missed me! 😂🙋‍♂️

And mmmmmmm, can imagine so many jazz gigs being cheaper than other gigs, genre wise! Yeahhhh, the Pizza Express Lounge is a great venue! I really loved it inside there ☺️👨‍💼🎹🎺🎷

None of my friends are into jazz either! Most are into hip-hop and a few of us love that arty/alternative/electronic pop/trip-hop sound, so we love artists like Grimes, FKA Twigs, Sophie, Clarence Clarity, Kelela, Yves Tumor! 🎩

I’m low-key a bit sad because I honestly don’t know realistically the next time I’ll go to London and I really, really, really want to meet you! 😅😩

I think The King record by Albert King is a great choice, definitely makes me interested in his other work, so for me it fulfills this purpose. I'll try picking this record up. What record do you expect to still be available the other month (in case of great swaptions?), White Stripes or Albert King? I know The White Stripes are very popular and Classics in general tend to sell out soon. What do you think?

I think The King record by Albert King is a great choice, definitely makes me interested in his other work, so for me it fulfills this purpose. I'll try picking this record up. What record do you expect to still be available the other month (in case of great swaptions?), White Stripes or Albert King? I know The White Stripes are very popular and Classics in general tend to sell out soon. What do you think?
I think Albert King is more likely to sell out as it’s a ‘blues’ ROTM pick! Every other previous Classics ROTM which was blues, has sold out! Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker etc! Albert King is also a very well known Blues artist! 🪕

But then again, The White Stripes are a very popular band! They have nearly 8 million monthly listeners on Spotify and haven’t released an album in over a decade! So that just shows you how popular they are! And I can imagine this ROTM appealing to a high percentage of VMP’s target audience/subscribers! 🧠

I say, make sure you get both the Classics and Essentials ROTM to ensure you don’t miss out! 🚨 The only ROTM that will not sell out I’m pretty sure is the R&HH ROTM, but I’m pretty sure you’re not intestered in the Future pick 😅🤹

I think Albert King is more likely to sell out as it’s a ‘blues’ ROTM pick! Every other previous Classics ROTM which was blues, has sold out! Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker etc! Albert King is also a very well known Blues artist! 🪕

But then again, The White Stripes are a very popular band! They have nearly 8 million monthly listeners on Spotify and haven’t released an album in over a decade! So that just shows you how popular they are! And I can imagine this ROTM appealing to a high percentage of VMP’s target audience/subscribers! 🧠

I say, make sure you get both the Classics and Essentials ROTM to ensure you don’t miss out! 🚨 The only ROTM that will not sell out I’m pretty sure is the R&HH ROTM, but I’m pretty sure you’re not intestered in the Future pick 😅🤹

Thanks for sharing your opinion and that valuable information. I actually have the same feelings that both Essentials and Classics could quickly sell out. Interesting facts about the streaming of the White Stripes. No Future for me haha.😝 I'm just listening to Run the Jewels 🎉and wonder if I should preorder their new album with or without instrumentals? What's your opinion?

Thanks for sharing your opinion and that valuable information. I actually have the same feelings that both Essentials and Classics could quickly sell out. Interesting facts about the streaming of the White Stripes. No Future for me haha.😝 I'm just listening to Run the Jewels 🎉and wonder if I should preorder their new album with or without instrumentals? What's your opinion?
Order just the 2LP! The instrumentals will be great, but have always worked much better with Run The Jewels’ mean mugging, booming, charismatic flows in the mix! The punchy, braggadocio delivery by the duo, actually usually highlights the abrasive, fun and dynamic instrumentals/production! 👉🤛

There are some instrumental hip-hop albums I’d buy on vinyl, but not a Run The Jewels one, even though El-P is a great producer! So yeah, just buy the pink variant 2LP pressing! 😇

I don't want to rain on people's parades. I think this pick has some merit.
That being said, for me, this seems like an album I'd be just fine with streaming every so often and not one of those albums I need to have on vinyl. It's a great album but it's not an album that I feel I would spin more than once every few years. This isn't an album I feel compelled to resubscribe for. But hey, that's just this guy's opinion and he's Canadian so it's about only worth about 1.44 cents

omg theres two of them !

;)
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

I don't want to rain on people's parades. I think this pick has some merit.
That being said, for me, this seems like an album I'd be just fine with streaming every so often and not one of those albums I need to have on vinyl. It's a great album but it's not an album that I feel I would spin more than once every few years. This isn't an album I feel compelled to resubscribe for. But hey, that's just this guy's opinion and he's Canadian so it's about only worth about 1.44 cents
This has been my feeling more and more lately about the VMP picks overall...I'm running out of space for my records and unless it's an artist I truly love, I have been trying to dial back on my purchases.

This has been my feeling more and more lately about the VMP picks overall...I'm running out of space for my records and unless it's an artist I truly love, I have been trying to dial back on my purchases.
I've been checking out all my purchases on Spotify repeat until I'm convinced I would actually spin it more than once. If I decide I really want the vinyl, I try to first purchase from my favorite brick and mortar to try to keep them going during these strange days. If they don't have it, I try direct from the artist. That may seem backwards, but I'm friends with the store owner and multiple employees, so I'm trying to help them. I do everything possible not to get it from VMP, simply because of my experiences with long butt delays. My exception is the Classics, simply because I have all of them. That being said, I don't find myself spinning them often anyway. I normally spin those records I search out that I've listened to over and over again on Spotify. I also make decisions on purchases based on what I want to represent musically in my collection. I actually find I do this quite often, because in the back of my mind I'm curating my collection for my granddaughter, who I'm passing everything on to in the future. Music is a connection I have with her. I bought her first turntable for her (7 years old), her first record, and continue to buy her what she likes to listen to now that she's getting older (Dawes, Rayland Baxter, Tank and the Bangas), and I travel all over to watch her dance in shows. We even go to music festivals together. Music is that special connection, so I buy a lot thinking, "You know, this record needs to be in this collection, so in the future she can access the feeling I get when I listen to it." I also try to always slide a note card in the sleeve with the date I purchased the record, why i purchased the record, and what I was thinking at the time, just so she has that connection with me as well. As I get older, and my body let's me know I'm not a young man anymore, I think more and more of this kind of stuff. Sorry about that.

I've been checking out all my purchases on Spotify repeat until I'm convinced I would actually spin it more than once. If I decide I really want the vinyl, I try to first purchase from my favorite brick and mortar to try to keep them going during these strange days. If they don't have it, I try direct from the artist. That may seem backwards, but I'm friends with the store owner and multiple employees, so I'm trying to help them. I do everything possible not to get it from VMP, simply because of my experiences with long butt delays. My exception is the Classics, simply because I have all of them. That being said, I don't find myself spinning them often anyway. I normally spin those records I search out that I've listened to over and over again on Spotify. I also make decisions on purchases based on what I want to represent musically in my collection. I actually find I do this quite often, because in the back of my mind I'm curating my collection for my granddaughter, who I'm passing everything on to in the future. Music is a connection I have with her. I bought her first turntable for her (7 years old), her first record, and continue to buy her what she likes to listen to now that she's getting older (Dawes, Rayland Baxter, Tank and the Bangas), and I travel all over to watch her dance in shows. We even go to music festivals together. Music is that special connection, so I buy a lot thinking, "You know, this record needs to be in this collection, so in the future she can access the feeling I get when I listen to it." I also try to always slide a note card in the sleeve with the date I purchased the record, why i purchased the record, and what I was thinking at the time, just so she has that connection with me as well. As I get older, and my body let's me know I'm not a young man anymore, I think more and more of this kind of stuff. Sorry about that.
That's beautiful. You sound like quite the cool grandpa haha. Glad you have that connection with your granddaughter and I might steal that idea of putting a little card in of why I bought it. Reminds me of a guy I read about who was super into jazz. Bought loads and loads of records and he started making compilations of them on tape for his son and future grandkids to help them get into jazz. I believe it was his son who digitized them all and put them up on archive.org.

Back