Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

Oh for sure. I'm just going to buy one set and see if there's a difference from the stock tubes.
I don't need to have a tiny collection of them.

Yeah that’s fair and to be honest those little signal tubes should be lasting you 4 or 5 yeaes anyway, it’s the big power tubes that I have to change more regularly.

So one foot from the Jolida broke off, I thought I was screwed as the amp is not in production anymore.
But I'm super impressed with Black Ice support, they got back to me in a day saying they still had replacements, I called their office, placed an order and got shipping notification in 24 hours.

Well….. little problem.

Went to turn on the PL Evo 300 pre just now, and one of the rectifiers had a short internal lightning storm then smoked and the unit shut off before I could shut it off.

What are the chances it’s just a rectifier tube? I’m concerned about the smoke.

- Concerned in NY

Should have had an extra pair on hand, just ordered a pair and we’ll see. I’ll check the fuse as I assume that went.

I had a power tube go a bit dramatically like that and it took out the fuse on the adaptive autobias board as well, so I had to change that. I’m not sure how that works fuse wise with the preamp and the rectifiers though!

I had a power tube go a bit dramatically like that and it took out the fuse on the adaptive autobias board as well, so I had to change that. I’m not sure how that works fuse wise with the preamp and the rectifiers though!
My local is a PL dealer so I might have him check it out if the tube/fuse changes don’t work. Will just need to navigate the fact that I didn’t buy this one from him. Sucks.

How do you like the Brimars?
They’re fantastic. I’ve had a lot of changes in the last 3-6 months, so I’ve hesitated to talk about any of them individually but the Brimars made a real difference in the performance of the preamp. Highs are sweet and extended without a hint of harshness. Between the natural tendency of the Harbeths to have a great midrange and the Brimars, mids/voices are beautiful. In addition, real low end control paired with fantastic soundstage separation/presentation make the Brimars worth every penny IMO. Overall, my system has never sounded better.

Finally got the Raytheon 5751 windmill getter tubes in.

They are an impressive, full sound.
They really dress up the Project Tubebox sound.
Will be interesting to see how the Rogue Perseus phono stage compares with this sound.

Test Readings : gm (Micromhos) 1550 / 1450, 1450 / 1500, Min Good is 875

View attachment 195029View attachment 195030
Pretty.

Just an update on the Manley Stingray II.

It dropped the right channel Tuesday night. The output tubes were all showing correct bias, so unless something catastrophic happened, it had to be a bad input or driver tube.

When I got the amp, it had older GE 12AT7 input tubes and 6414 driver tubes. I had a pair of nearly new TAD 12BH7 driver tubes- Manley is no longer using the 6414 and the 12BH7 is the substitute.

I put the TADs and the GEs in and the amp sounds amazing. No noise from the TADs like I had originally experienced. Looking closer at the GEs, they are JAN military spec from 1972-78.

The amp is working again and sounding better than ever.

Just an update on the Manley Stingray II.

It dropped the right channel Tuesday night. The output tubes were all showing correct bias, so unless something catastrophic happened, it had to be a bad input or driver tube.

When I got the amp, it had older GE 12AT7 input tubes and 6414 driver tubes. I had a pair of nearly new TAD 12BH7 driver tubes- Manley is no longer using the 6414 and the 12BH7 is the substitute.

I put the TADs and the GEs in and the amp sounds amazing. No noise from the TADs like I had originally experienced. Looking closer at the GEs, they are JAN military spec from 1972-78.

The amp is working again and sounding better than ever.
It ain’t high end if it doesn’t break down once in awhile.

Back