Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

Well, now I'm looking at Cayin amps again...
The CS55-A looks interesting but I can't figure out if has the resistor thingy.

Well, now I'm looking at Cayin amps again...
The CS55-A looks interesting but I can't figure out if has the resistor thingy.

It does look interesting and seems to have good testimonials. I like the fact that it has a biasing meter on top of the amp to make biasing, or checking the bias, of the tubes really easy.

I can’t see much on that either but there is a very big very long thread on Chinese tube amps over on the bad place.

It does look interesting and seems to have good testimonials. I like the fact that it has a biasing meter on top of the amp to make biasing, or checking the bias, of the tubes really easy.

I can’t see much on that either but there is a very big very long thread on Chinese tube amps over on the bad place.
Bad place?

Since this was mentioned figured I’d chime in. I’ve got an FX10 (auto bias) and a 1102 with EZ bias. The ez bias is great, but it takes a bit of dexterity to get a screwdriver in there without banging tubes. Once it’s set the bias holds pretty well. The FX10, is a circus show with the LEDs under the tubes. I blacked out the leds. As for performance, the FX isn’t great, for the money there’s much better out there.

Since this was mentioned figured I’d chime in. I’ve got an FX10 (auto bias) and a 1102 with EZ bias. The ez bias is great, but it takes a bit of dexterity to get a screwdriver in there without banging tubes. Once it’s set the bias holds pretty well. The FX10, is a circus show with the LEDs under the tubes. I blacked out the leds. As for performance, the FX isn’t great, for the money there’s much better out there.

Yeah it’s probably underpowered for the Wharfedale Denton 80s too which are only moderately efficient speaker.

Just make sure that they can service it, or that they can recommend someone local who can service it and that it won’t be out of action too long if that resistor goes.
Oh absolutely, we've had a fairly lengthy conversation about it.
They have their own in-house technicians.

Oh absolutely, we've had a fairly lengthy conversation about it.
They have their own in-house technicians.

Honestly that may make it an easier call. The other thing is to try to pay a little more on the power tubes when you change them to get properly balanced ones from a reputable store rather than just off eBay plus to keep on top of the biasing.

I started looking at tube amps again.
I have a technics sl1200 MK2 turntable, a Vincent Pho-8 and a pair of Denton 80s.
I looked at some Chinese tube amps (Muzishare X7 and Cayin MT45 mk3) that I would have to import.
Today I found a used Jolida JD 202 BRC from a store here in Brazil.
Considering shipping cost and import duties the Chinese ones would cost about the as the used Jolida.
I'd appreciate any thoughts from you knowledgeable folks!

EDIT: The store here also has a Primaluna Dialogue Premium.
Yes, I saw that and found it concerning too.

The Prima Luna Dialogue Premium has auto biasing and offers more flexibility for tube roiling (EL34 , KT88, KT120 and KT150) where the Chinese ones only offer the option between EL34 and KT88.
The Prima Luna is pricier though.

EDIT: from the Prima Luna manual:
The amplifier will protect itself from damage by opening a relay shutting off the sound. A red LED mounted next to the trouble tube will light up. Simply turn off the amp, let it rest two minutes, replace the bad tube next to the red LED, and turn the amp back on. That’s it. Nothing is simpler.
I really really like the JoLida 202. It’s a wonderful amp. You are limited to EL-34 output tubes, but it sounds so darn good I really wouldn’t care.

Don’t let the fact that it doesn’t have auto bias scare you off. Biasing the JoLida is easy. You’ll need a digital volt meter and 5 minutes.

Having owned both- I’d pick the JoLida over the PrimaLuna. A couple of things- the JoLida sounds more “tube like” than the PL. the other thing- the PL auto bias circuit works- but not like they say. The light lights up when a tube is bad. Just like they say. But- replace the tube, and no sound on in that channel. Turns out the fuse blew on the autobias board. Take the amp out of the system, remove the tubes, take it to the bedroom and flip it upside down on the bed. Remove the bottom panel, replace blown fuse. The do everything else in reverse.

When a tube blows on the JoLida, the whole amp loses power. Replace the tube. Replace the fuse- the fuse holder is on the rear panel. Fire it up. Bias the tubes. Done. Easy.

I really really like the JoLida 202. It’s a wonderful amp. You are limited to EL-34 output tubes, but it sounds so darn good I really wouldn’t care.

Don’t let the fact that it doesn’t have auto bias scare you off. Biasing the JoLida is easy. You’ll need a digital volt meter and 5 minutes.

Having owned both- I’d pick the JoLida over the PrimaLuna. A couple of things- the JoLida sounds more “tube like” than the PL. the other thing- the PL auto bias circuit works- but not like they say. The light lights up when a tube is bad. Just like they say. But- replace the tube, and no sound on in that channel. Turns out the fuse blew on the autobias board. Take the amp out of the system, remove the tubes, take it to the bedroom and flip it upside down on the bed. Remove the bottom panel, replace blown fuse. Then so everything else in reverse.

When a tube blows on the JoLida, the whole amp loses power. Replace the tube. Replace the fuse- the fuse holder is on the rear panel. Fire it up. Bias the tubes. Done. Easy.

Thank god the autobias fuse on the Evo range is in a little screw out cap to the left of the power switch!

yeah, it's the JD202
Welp, the Universe has spoken.
No Prima Luna for me, it was sold yesterday.
They suggested an Audio Research VSi60, but I'm completely unfamiliar with it, I'll have to do some reading.
Audio Research- beautiful amps. I wouldn’t touch one.

When a tube blows, it’ll take out a resistor on the board. You’ll be seeing a tech, unless you know how to solder.

Having owned both- I’d pick the JoLida over the PrimaLuna. A couple of things- the JoLida sounds more “tube like” than the PL. the other thing- the PL auto bias circuit works- but not like they say. The light lights up when a tube is bad. Just like they say. But- replace the tube, and no sound on in that channel. Turns out the fuse blew on the autobias board. Take the amp out of the system, remove the tubes, take it to the bedroom and flip it upside down on the bed. Remove the bottom panel, replace blown fuse. The do everything else in reverse.

Audio Research- beautiful amps. I wouldn’t touch one.

When a tube blows, it’ll take out a resistor on the board. You’ll be seeing a tech, unless you know how to solder.
Thanks! I really appreciate your input!
Let's see what I can negotiate on the Jolida

Shhh the tubes that you sent me with it are still going strong. Don't mention that they will eventually go bad
"Possible cost".............You have the OGs as backups, which have plenty of life on them on the outside chance you have one go out. It was just one thing I didn't want to think about, more than anything, it was an honest judgement on myself. I knew I'd start trying different tubes turning it into a money pit. So moving from the PL was more about removing temptation and saving my wallet from myself, lol.

I really do miss it though.

"Possible cost".............You have the OGs as backups, which have plenty of life on them on the outside chance you have one go out. It was just one thing I didn't want to think about, more than anything, it was an honest judgement on myself. I knew I'd start trying different tubes turning it into a money pit. So moving from the PL was more about removing temptation and saving my wallet from myself, lol.

I really do miss it though.

Yeah it’s perfectly possible, if you’re happy to stick to the same tube and they remain affordable/in production, to just a have a couple of the same on hand and swap them out individually as and when they die and only be left buying one or two at a time to keep as backup stock. It’s the wanting to try different types of tube that ends up breaking the bank!

Last edited:
Back