Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

Good question. More power. Greater flexibility with speaker choice. I haven’t tried a tube pre and a SS amp combo and I’d like to and figured the McIntosh might fit the bill.
I had a McIntosh power amp years ago. It was ok. Just ok. Once the “I’ve always wanted a McIntosh and now I’ve gotten one” buzz wore off, I moved it on. Because it was McIntosh, it was quick to move and I didn’t lose a penny.

I was talking to @Tanqueray about it once and she said basically that I would have kept it if I had one of the models with output transformers.

I had a McIntosh power amp years ago. It was ok. Just ok. Once the “I’ve always wanted a McIntosh and now I’ve gotten one” buzz wore off, I moved it on. Because it was McIntosh, it was quick to move and I didn’t lose a penny.

I was talking to @Tanqueray about it once and she said basically that I would have kept it if I had one of the models with output transformers.
I appreciate this feedback. I’ve never had a McIntosh but there is a draw. Lol.

I’m also considering switching my Torii MKV deposit over to a Triode OTL 25th Anniversary PreAmp and a Triode Phono Preamp and then using the Luxman 20W Class A amp section of my L550.

Anything concerning about the combo?

Could also get a Zen Triode Preamp, which is fully balanced. I could run both my D03x and Pass XP15 into it balanced. Perhaps a benefit?

Appreciate any thoughts.

One other question…. If I use the amp section of the Luxman, will I be able to use the Luxman remote to control volume? Or does the preamp need to control the volume?

I ask because I’m not a no remote controlled volume kind of guy.

Thank you. Guess I’d need to become a no remote controlled volume kinda guy in this scenario then.

I think their fully balanced one has a remote? It has a different pot for each channel but I think they go up and down together when you use a remote. The other ones don’t though!

I’m also considering switching my Torii MKV deposit over to a Triode OTL 25th Anniversary PreAmp and a Triode Phono Preamp and then using the Luxman 20W Class A amp section of my L550.

Anything concerning about the combo?

Could also get a Zen Triode Preamp, which is fully balanced. I could run both my D03x and Pass XP15 into it balanced. Perhaps a benefit?

Appreciate any thoughts.
I’m going to answer your question with a question. What do you feel you are missing now?

As much as I love the Lintons, I want more. More scale, more dynamics, deeper bass.

Where are you trying to go?

For me that draw has become an anti-draw over time. Not that I've tried a lot of Mcintosh stuff, but given the brand name, product range, and general hype around the brand I've noticed that of the people I know that have/had mac gear, almost none of them kept it for more than a couple years. @Tanqueray is an exception.

In the tube realm and within my small circle of experience, I tend to see Audio Research and Prima Luna stay in people's systems once they have them. Outside of the tube realm, it seems to me like CH Precision has some of the strongest staying power. Granted CH Precision is insanely expensive, but that gear still seems to stay with anyone who picks it up.

For me that draw has become an anti-draw over time. Not that I've tried a lot of Mcintosh stuff, but given the brand name, product range, and general hype around the brand I've noticed that of the people I know that have/had mac gear, almost none of them kept it for more than a couple years. @Tanqueray is an exception.

In the tube realm and within my small circle of experience, I tend to see Audio Research and Prima Luna stay in people's systems once they have them. Outside of the tube realm, it seems to me like CH Precision has some of the strongest staying power. Granted CH Precision is insanely expensive, but that gear still seems to stay with anyone who picks it up.

Audio Research just went into receivership. I hope someone buys them.

Thanks for this…. I have been keeping an eye out for a used PL Preamp so they are on the radar as well.

Thanks for this…. I have been keeping an eye out for a used PL Preamp so they are on the radar as well.

I’d be very interested to hear the PrimaLuna Evo300 hybrid. Tube on input/gain and solid state output. From everything I’ve read that’s the best way around when mixing tube and solid state and supposedly it sounds very very good. Way outside of my comfort range price wise though.

I’d be very interested to hear the PrimaLuna Evo300 hybrid. Tube on input/gain and solid state output. From everything I’ve read that’s the best way around when mixing tube and solid state and supposedly it sounds very very good. Way outside of my comfort range price wise though.

Yeah, I didn’t expect $7200. And it’s likely even more now- I haven’t checked lately.

Yeah, I didn’t expect $7200. And it’s likely even more now- I haven’t checked lately.

It’s €7500 here so actually probably hasn’t. It is a hell of a lot of money! There have been leaked pictures of a power amp version of it too from China recently so I’m guessing that will be the next thing they release!

Last edited:
If I were buying a new preamp today, I’d likely get a Benchmark LA-4 (line stage) or HPA-4 (LA-4 with headphone amp). You don’t see anything negative about them at all. Spec wise, likely the finest most pure preamp ever built. It won’t give any “flavoring” if that’s what you are after though. I prefer to get that from my cartridge, so that’d work for me.

I’ve been waiting for Audio Research to release the promised P50 pre. Don’t know if that’ll ever happen now with ARC going into receivership. I love my friends I50 integrated with similar speakers to mine.

If looking at a solid state pre, the HoloAudio Serene KTE is supposed to be very good as well.

But I love tube pre’s.

If I were buying a new preamp today, I’d likely get a Benchmark LA-4 (line stage) or HPA-4 (LA-4 with headphone amp). You don’t see anything negative about them at all. Spec wise, likely the finest most pure preamp ever built. It won’t give any “flavoring” if that’s what you are after though. I prefer to get that from my cartridge, so that’d work for me.
I’ve heard a couple benchmark pieces in various situations, including one of the DACs in my home for an extended period. I personally had nothing bad/nothing good to say about those pieces. They didn’t do anything wrong, but in the systems and situations I’ve heard them in, they also didn’t particularly excite me. But I do know a few people that love their gear and have gone to the ladder much like many of the Sutherland group here.

Reactions: OMC
I like this idea too, but this is how I went to the McIntosh MA352. Just figured I’d rather a McIntosh for $6500 over the Evo300 Hybrid at $7k.

Found a post on the What’s Best forum regarding Audio Research. Looks like everything will work out.

Hello, everyone. This is my first post on What's Best because I want you to know what is happening at Audio Research. Some of you know me since I was hire by Bill Johnson at Audio Research in 1989. I left for a few years and returned to ARC in 1996.
We will be posting a statement on the Fans of Audio Research's FB page, and also the company's FB page as this seems the fastest way to get the facts out.
Nathanu's post is correct. What almost no one seems to realize is that Audio Research has been running since the assignment was filed on April 4th, almost four weeks ago. That was a week and a half before AXPONA, where our VP Sales (Allan Haggar) worked with Quintessence Audio (REF10, REFPH10, 160M MkII). We are staffed, with customer service answering the phone, the service department is repairing products, production is building new products, we are receiving parts, our sales department continues to accept orders, and our shipping department is shipping parts and product orders along with service work.
Trent Suggs was relieved of control of Audio Research. We have been working with individuals who want to purchase the company, and I expect that we will have a new owner within the week. There will be continuity as production, engineering, purchasing, service, and critical personnel will remain working for Audio Research. Warren Gehl, too.
I am writing this quickly as there are a lot of things to attend to immediately. Thanks to Mike for sending me this link to this so I could respond.

Back