Top Rock Albums 2011-2021

bettim84

Sunday morning as I was listening to Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson, my four-year-old came up to me and asked: "Is this band dead?" The day before he had asked the same thing while I was playing R.E.M.

It's been a blast to share my collection with him over the past couple of years. He's well-versed on the Beatles, Bon-Scott-era AC/DC, Queen, Wilco, with splashes of the Isley Brothers, David Bowie, and Belle & Sebastian. Some of these artists are favorites of mine, while others I was just spinning on a whim and he instantly became a bigger fan than me. But I digress.

His question got me thinking about a recurring (and boring) theme in pop music discourse since at least the late 1990s: the "Is-Rock-Dead?" discussion. I think most of us who follow music would generally agree that no, rock is not "dead" because plenty of people still play and listen to rock music, but clearly rock is not the relevant cultural force it once was. I don't think that makes me sad, even though rock or rock-adjacent music makes up about 2/3 of my record collection.

What did make me sad was Googling lists of the "top rock albums of the 2010s." I perused those lists, looking for albums that would be fun to get into, with the goal of exposing my child to contemporary rock music so that I don't feel a constant sense of disappointment every time I have to tell him "sorry, we don't get to see this band live in the future because they already broke up/retired/died." Unfortunately, most of the lists featured either artists/albums that are barely "rock," or dinosaurs decades removed from their primes.

I have plenty of records that came out in the 2000s and 2010s, but most of them do not feature the immediate blast of the "rock era" (let's say 1967ish to 1999ish). Part of it is my own fault. I have little interest in big-tent rock like the Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, or QOTSA. Also, the moodier artists that I prefer apparently don't "click" with little kids (e.g. I love Beach House and Father John Misty, but they do not "rock"; Tame Impala and Real Estate both vibe, but do not "rock"; even The War On Drugs comes up short of scratching that itch).

I'm curious to know what are people's favorite rock albums of the last 10 years. My selfish interest is to get exposure to records by artists who are still active, but obviously that need not be a restriction. I'm purposely leaving 2010 out because that was the unofficial end of the "indie rock boom" (with Arcade Fire winning the AOTY Grammy). Top 3s, Top 5s, Top 10s, unranked lists... what are your top rock (dare I say ROCK) albums of the recent past?

Not a fan, but have you listened to any Biffy Clyro? Any of their recent albums could give you the big rock hit you could be after.

I'll add Jericho Sirens by Hot Snakes in the mix. Any of the Fuzz albums could be good (anything Ty Segal, possibly). Is King Gizzard too out there? Nonagon Infinity if not. Here Lies Man for the Sabbath vibes.

Not a fan, but have you listened to any Biffy Clyro? Any of their recent albums could give you the big rock hit you could be after.

I'll add Jericho Sirens by Hot Snakes in the mix. Any of the Fuzz albums could be good (anything Ty Segal, possibly). Is King Gizzard too out there? Nonagon Infinity if not. Here Lies Man for the Sabbath vibes.

The only thing I've heard (and own) from your list is Nonagon Infinity, but I have admittedly not listened to any of their other albums. It's quickly become an intimidating/overwhelming discography! I'll check out the others, thanks.

I also listen to rock a lot and don't care if it's the dominant form or whatever (it's obviously not). Guitar rock will probably always have a place of pride in my heart since it's what drew me to music in the first place. Here are some of my favourite "rock" albums of the last decade. Not really a ranking but the first ones I thought of. There's definitely a lot of cool rock still coming out that's not just retreads of the past.

1. Nap Eyes - Whine of the Mystic
2. Tinariwen - Amadjar
3. Angel Olsen - My Woman
4. My Morning Jacket - Circuital
5. Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
6. Alvvays - Alvvays
7. Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Sparkle Hard
8. Chris Forsyth - All Time Present
9. Garcia Peoples - One Step Behind
10. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
11. Endless Boogie - Vibe Killer
12. A Silver Mt. Zion - Kollaps Tradixionales
13. King Buffalo - Dead Star
14. Daniel Romano - Modern Pressure
15. Cass McCombs - Big Wheel and Others

Try these:

Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Paramore - After Laughter
Jeff Rosenstock - WORRY.
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
The Dirty Nil - Master Volume
Oso oso - Basking in the Glow
Soccer Mommy - Color Theory

Not my favourite albums of the decade necessarily, but some great albums I thought of that are generally classified as "rock" without branching out too far into other genres like punk/indie/electronic, etc.

My Morning Jacket. Their best albums were prior to 2011, but are still consistently good afterwards. I still see them as a modern rock band....killer live shows, plenty of guitar and strong vocal lead in Jim James that checks off a lot of your typical "rock" aspects.

Jason Isbell (and the 400 Unit) have been a strong outlet in the last decade. If you include his solo effort Southeastern and Something More Than Free there are five albums, four of which are above 80 in Metacritic land that explore the gambit of topics. Definitely rock (Southern) in my book.

My favorite band is Manchester Orchestra. Their last album (A Black Mile to the Surface) is my favorite and they have a new one coming out next month.

Some other still active rock bands/artists from the last decade-ish that I think rule are Gang of Youths, Foxing, Jack White (and all his related projects), Colony House (live shows have a more traditional "rock show" vibe than their studio tracks suggest), and Deafheaven.

And like stated before, Japandroids and MMJ both rule.

Some excellent choices here, I’ll add:

Gang of Youths - Go Farther in Lightness
Fontaines D.C. - A Hero’s Death
White Reaper - White Reaper Does it Again
White Reaper - The World’s Best American Band
White Reaper - You Deserve Love
Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else
Cloud Nothings - Last Building Burning
Protomartyr - The Agent Intellect
Protomartyr - Ultimate Success Today
Preoccupations - New Material
Ovlov - Tru
Nothing - Guilty of Everything
The Murder Capital - When I Have Fears
Merchandise - Children of Desire
The Men - Open Your Heart
LVL UP - Hoodwink’d
Iceage - Plowing into the Field of Love
Idles - Brutalism
Forth Wanderers - s/t
Dream Wife - Dream Wife
Bully - Feels Like
Big Thief - Two Hands
Big Thief - Capacity

If you want a simple choice of band that “rocks” the most still making music today, the answer is White Reaper.

Ovlov - Tru
LVL UP - Hoodwink’d
Idles - Brutalism
Forth Wanderers - s/t
Dream Wife - Dream Wife
Bully - Feels Like
Big Thief - Two Hands
Big Thief - Capacity

If you want a simple choice of band that “rocks” the most still making music today, the answer is White Reaper.

I should have mentioned White Reaper! I saw them open for Spoon in 2017 and have been hooked ever since. Not a huge fan of You Deserve Love but I love their first two records. World's Best American Band is the perfect mix between their earlier garage sound and their later pop sound.

I should have mentioned White Reaper! I saw them open for Spoon in 2017 and have been hooked ever since. Not a huge fan of You Deserve Love but I love their first two records. World's Best American Band is the perfect mix between their earlier garage sound and their later pop sound.
I was originally against You Deserve Love but it grew on me and became one of my favorites from that year. I’ve been burned so often with an indie rock band going to a major label but they did a great job of keeping their sound.

it all depends on what you consider 'rock' i guess - is phoebe bridgers rock? fiona apple? pj harvey? david bowie?

i would classify the following as some of my top 10 'rock' albums from the previous decade:

PJ HarveyLet England Shake
David BowieBlackstar
Fiona AppleThe Idler Wheel…
RadioheadA Moon Shaped Pool
Sleater-KinneyNo Cities to Love
Tame ImpalaCurrents
Tame ImpalaLonerism
Neil YoungLe Noise
The NationalI Am Easy To Find
Arcade FireThe Suburbs
Arctic MonkeysAM

whether they're rock per se is down to individual taste as much as anything, i guess - but they all feature guitars, bass, drums which is, i guess, the core component of rock music....but also folk, jazz, etc etc.

Car Seat Headrest, Teens of Denial by a country mile.
I should try that one again. I liked it upon a cursory listen when it came out, but never stuck with it.

I also listen to rock a lot and don't care if it's the dominant form or whatever (it's obviously not). Guitar rock will probably always have a place of pride in my heart since it's what drew me to music in the first place. Here are some of my favourite "rock" albums of the last decade. Not really a ranking but the first ones I thought of. There's definitely a lot of cool rock still coming out that's not just retreads of the past.

1. Nap Eyes - Whine of the Mystic
2. Tinariwen - Amadjar
3. Angel Olsen - My Woman
4. My Morning Jacket - Circuital
5. Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
6. Alvvays - Alvvays
7. Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Sparkle Hard
8. Chris Forsyth - All Time Present
9. Garcia Peoples - One Step Behind
10. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
11. Endless Boogie - Vibe Killer
12. A Silver Mt. Zion - Kollaps Tradixionales
13. King Buffalo - Dead Star
14. Daniel Romano - Modern Pressure
15. Cass McCombs - Big Wheel and Others
I'm still working my way through this list; I only own 2 of those 15 albums (Alvvays and CB). I sampled that Chris Forsyth album and absolutely LOVED what I heard (which is kind of funny, because I am not a Dead fan). My favorite Day 1 discovery so far.

Try these:

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Paramore - After Laughter
Jeff Rosenstock - WORRY.
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
The Dirty Nil - Master Volume
Oso oso - Basking in the Glow
Soccer Mommy - Color Theory

Not my favourite albums of the decade necessarily, but some great albums I thought of that are generally classified as "rock" without branching out too far into other genres like punk/indie/electronic, etc.
I have that Cloud Nothings album but this is a good reminder I should check out their other stuff. Strange Mercy is a phenomenal album (easily my favorite of hers) but it falls on the wrong side of the "does it rock?" question for purposes of this thread. Celebration Rock never worked for me but I'll give it and the other recommendations a fair try.

Ovlov - Tru
LVL UP - Hoodwink’d
Idles - Brutalism
Forth Wanderers - s/t
Dream Wife - Dream Wife
Bully - Feels Like
Big Thief - Two Hands
Big Thief - Capacity

Thanks! It will take me a while to go through this list. I will say that Gang of Youths is not for me, which is sad because I know a lot of people here rate them highly.

it all depends on what you consider 'rock' i guess - is phoebe bridgers rock? fiona apple? pj harvey? david bowie?

i would classify the following as some of my top 10 'rock' albums from the previous decade:

PJ HarveyLet England Shake
David BowieBlackstar
Fiona AppleThe Idler Wheel…
RadioheadA Moon Shaped Pool
Sleater-KinneyNo Cities to Love
Tame ImpalaCurrents
Tame ImpalaLonerism
Neil YoungLe Noise
The NationalI Am Easy To Find
Arcade FireThe Suburbs
Arctic MonkeysAM

whether they're rock per se is down to individual taste as much as anything, i guess - but they all feature guitars, bass, drums which is, i guess, the core component of rock music....but also folk, jazz, etc etc.
I own most of those albums and sure, they're all categorized as rock/pop in my collection. But most of them fall short of rocking, at least based on my idiosyncratic criteria. Please note that this is not meant as a knock (Let England Shake is literally my #1 favorite album of the 2010s!).

Based on Wilco being on your list, have you tried any White Denim?
Nope. What album(s) would you recommend?

Thanks! It will take me a while to go through this list. I will say that Gang of Youths is not for me, which is sad because I know a lot of people here rate them highly.
haha yeah. To simplify it, the ones that most exemplify "straightforward rock" the most would be:

LVL UP - Hoodwink’d
Ovlov - Tru
Sheer Mag - Need to Feel Your Love

Check out those first and foremost! Tbf they are all considered "indie" and some indie sounds are found here, but I do reach for these records when I truly want to rock out.

If you didn't know any better this song was straight out of 1986

Last edited:
I should try that one again. I liked it upon a cursory listen when it came out, but never stuck with it.

I'm still working my way through this list; I only own 2 of those 15 albums (Alvvays and CB). I sampled that Chris Forsyth album and absolutely LOVED what I heard (which is kind of funny, because I am not a Dead fan). My favorite Day 1 discovery so far.

I have that Cloud Nothings album but this is a good reminder I should check out their other stuff. Strange Mercy is a phenomenal album (easily my favorite of hers) but it falls on the wrong side of the "does it rock?" question for purposes of this thread. Celebration Rock never worked for me but I'll give it and the other recommendations a fair try.

I own most of those albums and sure, they're all categorized as rock/pop in my collection. But most of them fall short of rocking, at least based on my idiosyncratic criteria. Please note that this is not meant as a knock (Let England Shake is literally my #1 favorite album of the 2010s!).

Nope. What album(s) would you recommend?
I'd go with "D" or "Corsicana Lemonade" in the first instance.

While I'm here, let's add The Big Roar by The Joy Formidable to your list.

Back